Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kahr P9

I have a Kahr K9 Elite 2003 that has run flawless. So comfortable in my hand! Only detracter is that it only has 8 bullets in it. I know a few other kahr owners that are very pleased with ALL of their Kahrs.

Good, good good good

It is a nice skinny gun. I bought the p40 so my only complaint is that it kicks like a pissed off mule. The trigger pull is long but very doable for a carry gun. It is pricey but very well made.

I have carried a mk9 and now for the last 3 yrs a pm9. Great guns. I have a few thousand rds. through each and never a problem. The only one I have heard was a problem was the pm40??? but I don't have personal experience.

I had a PM9 and it was extremely well built but there were a few things that bothered me.

--The action, while smooth, was very stiff and difficult to work by hand. That would have probably worked itself out with more time.

--To me, the trigger pull seemed unnecessarily long and heavy.

--It was a bit heavy.

--It was expensive

But, it was a really nice gun just the same. Just not the gun for me.

I've had a P9 for 10 years or so. Nice gun, but that DA trigger is looooooong and HEAVY! If it had a nicer trigger, it'd go from being a nice gun to a great carry piece. If I was going to shoot it a lot, I'd also reshape the slide stop a little bit.

Carried a P9 for 10 years +/-. First had the slide stop reformed so as not to stickout from the gun so much. Had front cocking serrations cut to match. Have shot it to the point that the trigger while still long, is real smooth. Now that my vision is not what it was, I've been thinking about sending it back for a nightsight insert.

One of my smarter purchases.

May just buy a PM9 with ns.

Edited by pvhendrix

My Kahr is a 45, a manly caliber you know :devil:

I agree with the other folks it is a fine gun. My trigger is long, a good thing on a carry gun, and not heavy at all. It shoots to point of aim, and works fine.

I did try a 40 once, well twice actually. The angry mule reference is very appropriate. Not for the weak of heart.

I had a P-40 and was less than impressed, the mag catch looked extremely flimsy, and the gun wasnt reliable. Rounds hit the feedramp and stopped. I wasnt bothered by recoil but at that time all my handgun shooting was with a 44 magnum and full power loads. I qwould give Kahr another chance but probably in 9mm.

I really like my Kahr 9mm. I got one of the super thin kydex IWB's from FIST and it has become THE carry gun/holster combo for me. In the past I have carried anything for airweight J frames to 1911's and lastly a G 23 Glock , of which I sold and never looked back after getting the Kahr.

Mine has been totally reliable and thinks it is a target gun . Sub 3" groups at 25yds.

Only minor concern is the slide release is huge.

I love my PM9. I have had it since early 07. It has been 100% reliable with factory, my reloads, and all defensive ammo. It shoots to POA. My trigger is long but very smooth. Buddy has the .45 model and his experience mirrors mine

• 3 months later...

I had a K 40 once. It was a well put together accurate gun. It refused to shoot reloaded amo. With factory new it ran like a top. Even with factory reloads I could not get it to run more than 80% I wish I never had to sell it.

Looking to buy a Kahr P9.

Anyone have input on the good or bad experiences they might have had?

Thanks

Take a look at the Kel-Tec P-11.

A lot less money, lighter, holds

11 shots. Only problem is the trigger

is even worse (?) than the Kahr. But,

a good alternative, for me anyway.

I have a MK9 that is my carry gun. Never had a problem with it and it shoots to point of aim as long as I do not put too much trigger finger in it. I have had it for almost 10 years now and have no intention of getting rid of it.

I have a P9 Covert that I carry in a Fist Pocket Holster when it's really hot and/or I'm dressing down. Great pistol as it's 100% since day one and shoots better at distance than I can shoot a J Frame. Use Gold Dots 124gr. JHP +P. Thinking of getting a PM9 as the Covert sets a little high in the pocket.

I have a P9 Covert that I carry in a Fist Pocket Holster when it's really hot and/or I'm dressing down. Great pistol as it's 100% since day one and shoots better at distance than I can shoot a J Frame. Use Gold Dots 124gr. JHP +P. Thinking of getting a PM9 as the Covert sets a little high in the pocket.

I have a PM9 in my pocket right now. We bought it for my wife as a running gun and it works well for that. When I come home, I dump my duty gear and throw the PM9 in my pocket and it stays there until I go to bed. It had one partial feed on the very first mag, but it's been 100% since then (plenty of rounds). I liked it so much that I bought a P380 a few weeks ago...another neat little gun. R,

I've got a P9 and P45. Both have been 100%. My J frame fits my pocket better than the P9. For IWB both of them conceal NICELY because of their flatness. Great little guns, but they are an investment in reliability.

John

When you start adding ddoddads and whatnots to the side of the gun you start defeating the main feature that made the gun a great design, The Kahr is a long double action trigger and doesnt need a safety any more than a revolver does.

• 1 month later...

Finally got one.

What's a good carry holster for the PM9?

And any suggestions for my wife's?

I use a ted blocker iwb most of the time. Very comfortable and easy on and off. Sometimes use a crossbreed when the mood strikes me. Love my Kahr p9 covert. :rolleyes: Jim

I have a PM9 in my pocket right now.

Gman.. which model.. the PM9094 or PM9193?

I'm leaning toward the PM9193 with the external safety

Thanks..

Sorry Dave, just saw this. It's the 9093...they weren't even making one with the external safety at the time. No way I'd bother with getting the external safety model anyway...just one more thing to catch on the inside of your pocket. I keep it in a pocket holster, but even without one, there is really no reasonable way to make it go bang without really being stupid...like yanking it out of your pocket if you feel resistance to a snag. R,

Finally got one.

What's a good carry holster for the PM9?

And any suggestions for my wife's?

Belt holster or something else? Since it's so small, your options are a bit limited. I bought a small paddle holster, sort of like a Yaqui slide, and one of the small of back/middle of back models but I can't recall who made either one....I'll have to check when I get home from Nationals. R,

• 1 month later...

I have a P9 Kahr and my experience is the same as the others it is a great little handgun. Loaded with Speer Gold Dots (124 HP) is is much more accurate than I expected from a small pocket handgun. It will ding full pepper poppers out to 50 yards if you hold the sight picture and pull the trigger through without stopping.

The holster I have finally adopted is of all things the Uncle Mikes Sidekick size# 36. This is the holster fits the S&W J frame sub nose revolvers. What makes it work is putting the clip over the pants but inside and under the belt. It is soft and the clip has a retainer on both sides. The inside clip presses against the pants materiel and the outside of the clip is under the belt and the retainer catches on the belt if there is any movement upward. I have it on now and it has never given me reason to feel it is coming out. I am retired a LEO and I would not recommend wearing it inside the pants with the clip under the belt in a duty situation. I could see it coming out in a rough and tumble resisting arrest situation. It would as mentioned earlier work well in a pocket.