Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What hotel were you staying at?

Hilton Garden Inn..the camera was not in the area of my car but in reviewing the tapes they told the officer there was a dark car (maybe a toyota) drive around a few minutes after I did and leave 2 minutes later but it was dusky and not very good quality basically no help.

Edited by DrawandDuck

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also very sorry for what happened to you. It really does make me sick, and it's something we all worry about. I've often wondered whether a gun is safer in the car or the hotel? Has anyone ever had a gun stolen from a hotel room?

The other thing I wonder is... why you? What were you wearing? What is on your plates? Do you have gun stickers on your car? Were all the cars hit at the same time? If not, what was hotel management doing? I doubt it was random, and I was especially horrified to hear this happened at a hotel that wasn't the match hotel. Just think about how many matches there are with match hotel information all over the web. A clever thief could clean up.

I'd like to learn something from this.

I think he was targeted at the match and then followed back to his hotel. Or the other possibility was the thieves were waiting at the hotel and this was an "opportunity" situation. Sorry to learn of your loss. Hopefully your insurance will cover most of it!!!

Edited by The_Vigilante

checked in wearing shorts and t-shirt....left early Saturday in shorts and my techwear shirt...returned wearing same thing went right to my room....car is a silver Dodge Charger with tinted windows, no stickers (gun or other) and standard Alabama plates.........

I learned that 4 others were hit; 2 Vehicles were at the match hotel Friday night, 1 Saturday night and one at the Olive Garden while eating after the match before going home...AND MINE....

Lesson to be learned never leave anything in the car or TRUNK of your car even for 30 minutes....

post-6763-127162922571_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrawandDuck

Randal, this totally sucks. When we were shooting Saturday on squad 1 with you, someone told Barry that this had also happened to Michael Rhea on Friday night. I am not sure, but I think he was staying at the La Quinta. It sounds like someone had some idea what was going on. I have instructed my GF to take the USPSA sticker off of her SUV, and I never put them on mine. I have never heard of this happening at a match. Can you tell how they broke into your vehicle? WOW, this sucks.

Randal, this totally sucks. When we were shooting Saturday on squad 1 with you, someone told Barry that this had also happened to Michael Rhea on Friday night. I am not sure, but I think he was staying at the La Quinta. It sounds like someone had some idea what was going on. I have instructed my GF to take the USPSA sticker off of her SUV, and I never put them on mine. I have never heard of this happening at a match. Can you tell how they broke into your vehicle? WOW, this sucks.

No visible signs of forced entry....I am in and out of my vehicle all day and always lock the door...the horn blows to let me know for sure, I double click 99.9% of the time just to be sure. I have not spoke to the others but was told they also had no visible signs....

After Scott and I got robbed in San Antonio 2 years ago, we never leave our stuff unattended again. When we get to a hotel, all the stuff comes in and one of us sits on it while the other goes for food/drink/supplies. If on the way, traveling, and we need to park, become a pain and wrangle a window seat where I can see our vehicle. Otherwise its drive thru dining at its finest for us.

Brother, I absolutely HATE hearing about gun thefts, especially here to another forum member/shooter. Thank you for the pics of the gun, its rather unique with the highlites and I'll keep an eye open.. Fingers crossed.

Randal, I really hate to hear about this. When I first read it I was hoping it was a joke some of the other Birmingham folks were jacking with you. Losing all of your gear sucks. I hope your stuff turns up soon and comes home.

Hurley

Sorry to hear it. I know one of the other guys that got hit. He's an Ohio guy but at least he got "sort of" lucky... They broke into his truck and took a locked case thinking it was a gun. Fortunately he had moved his bag/gun/etc into his room (pretty sure it was the La Quinta) and the locked case just had his ammo in it. They got all his 38 Super match ammo. Fortunately one of the guys I was with shoots 38S and had taken plenty so he was able to give him plenty to shoot but...

And I'm pretty sure he said there wasn't any sign of entry. Like Bill said I wonder if these thieves have some new technology that can transmit the same signal that remote fobs do. It's just a frequency of some sort like a radio station. All they would have to do is be sitting there to pick it up when you hit the lock and/or unlock button and then I'm sure that reproducing and transmitting that signal can't be that hard with modern technology. They'd need seconds, not minutes to open your car without breaking a thing.

I learned that 4 others were hit; 2 Vehicles were at the match hotel Friday night, 1 Saturday night and one at the Olive Garden while eating after the match before going home...AND MINE....

Just to clarify, these others had guns stolen as well?

I don't know much about these key fobs, but wouldn't the thieves need the "unlock" frequency? If you're hitting your lock button, how will that help them?

DrawandDuck, does your car have on-star? I'm pretty sure on-star cars can be unlocked by satellite.

Just to clarify, these others had guns stolen as well?

I don't know much about these key fobs, but wouldn't the thieves need the "unlock" frequency? If you're hitting your lock button, how will that help them?

DrawandDuck, does your car have on-star? I'm pretty sure on-star cars can be unlocked by satellite.

No it does not have on-star. Not 100% sure if they were all guns, one was a locked case but it was just his ammo...If I hear for sure I will let you know.

Damn Randal...

I hate that you lost old yella.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Well, kinda like it was taken from me....it was definitely a GREAT gun that had performed well for me over the years..without good reliable equipment you might as well stay at home!! :sick::sick:

post-6763-127164838774_thumb.jpg

post-6763-127164840931_thumb.jpg

Damn Randal...

I hate that you lost old yella.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Well, kinda like it was taken from me....it was definitely a GREAT gun that had performed well for me over the years..without good reliable equipment you might as well stay at home!! :sick: :sick:

Sorry as hell about your loss pal... it's one of my nightmares. The thieves obviously knew what you had in the car. This is going to be an ongoing issue with matches. We need to be vigilante to make sure they don't get our guns.

Good luck and I hope you get the stuff back... The offer is not talk, it's there if you need it bro....

J

Edited by JThompson

Some how these thieves allways seem to hit "match hotels" it is no longer a coincidence in my opinion. We are getting targeted by these creeps, they are getting tipped off by housekeeping or someone that works there. I personally am never staying at a match hotel again. :angry2:

And I'm pretty sure he said there wasn't any sign of entry. Like Bill said I wonder if these thieves have some new technology that can transmit the same signal that remote fobs do. It's just a frequency of some sort like a radio station. All they would have to do is be sitting there to pick it up when you hit the lock and/or unlock button and then I'm sure that reproducing and transmitting that signal can't be that hard with modern technology. They'd need seconds, not minutes to open your car without breaking a thing.

Anything is possible. However, all I do is look at auto thefts for insurance companies and we look into all that sort of technology constantly, and haven't heard of that. Fast, easy to use mechanical car-opening tools for most anything are easy to get and they don't leave marks.

That just sucks. Just a nightmare to hear about that.