Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Less open shooters

usmc1974

I am just curious are open gun shooters on the decline? there seem to be alot of open guns for sale these days. Here on GB and other boards. production class and limited 10, seems to be growing. :cheers:

I think they have declined a bit, but more than that, I think the others have been growing at a faster rate. Open guns cost big bucks and a lot of people don't want to spend the cash. Open guns can be fickle too and some people just want to shoot. I'm by no means a smith, but I have learned a ton about making an Open gun run.

Huh?

2009 Nationals had 281 open shooters, 2008 had 228

That may be true. But our local matches only have a few regulars who shoot open.

So I have not seen a decline, just more shooters in other divisions as JT already said.

The average Joe, local match shooter is not an open shooter.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some folks that aren't shooting Open right now due to costs. Open, done right, isn't cheap. For the price of one good 30-31 round big stick I can buy 10 mags for my Production gun :surprise: I get 650 rounds per pound of powder (at nearly $30/Lb) with my Open ammo and 1,850 rounds per pound of my Production ammo. That sort of stuff can add up pretty quickly.

The other thing is that it seems to be different regionally. Go to the Southwest and you'll find more Open shooters than most other places. I shot at a club that had as many Open shooters as Production shooters and sometimes more Open shooters. Around here, that's not the case and Production seems to be the largest division at most clubs. To some degree I think you're more likely to find higher numbers of Open and even Limited (also tends to be pricey) shooters in places where people can easily shoot all year long, or don't lose much of the season to bad weather. R,

Locally, Open is still consistent in numbers, but, not growing, Production is growing, Limited and Revolver is kind of stagnant, and Single Stack seems to be the orphan.

I'm guessing that has a lot to do with a ton of newer shooters getting into action shooting... production is the easiest financially to get started with. Plus.. there are plenty of IDPA shooters that jump over to USPSA for more shooting. :rolleyes:

I think like all divisions its dependent on the area you are in. Around here Limited is the big thing with SS and production and you might see the occasional 1 open shooter. Go a couple hrs north and production is the big thing

Hello: I also think there are alot of Open guns for sale since people are considering changing calibers as well. Some have gone to 9mm, some to 38 supercomp etc. Also some just want the newest out there. Production is growing because of all the new production pistols. There is something that fits everyone now in production. Single stack is fun but most shoot it when they are getting ready for a big match. Limited around here is mostly the older guys who don't want to reload alot. Open is the same way :roflol: Maybe I'll shoot single stack this weekend just to throw the curve off :cheers: Thanks,Eric

Its a cost thing right now. Open look slike a ton-o-fun and the guns are awesome but its just way too pricey for me to get into right now. Currently hanging out in SS and decided where I want to stick my foot in next (Hint-it wont be Open, haha)

Locally, Open is still consistent in numbers, but, not growing, Production is growing, Limited and Revolver is kind of stagnant, and Single Stack seems to be the orphan.

My numbers are down this year, didn't meet my quota. I've put to much focus on preventing people from shooting IDPA and glocks. I've got a few more people pushing the Open addiction this year, so I expect a banner year.

Lugnut is my arch nemesis, but I think I can get him to the dark side soon, then the plan will be complete

Edited by Supermoto

I shoot at four clubs and there are maybe 3-7 open guys out of 20-30 shooters. I guess it could have something to do with cost. 9 and 40 brass is cheap and every where. Heck, you can get both at the range after a shoot if, you want to stay and pick it up. Now, 38 super or comp is a defferent story. I do like my open gun it is fun, loud and it DOES hold a lot of bullets. :rolleyes::roflol: but, looking like a chicken pecking the ground for 38s brass is'nt.

In our club there's only 2 open shooter. Mostly are production and Limited... I guess the cost is one of the biggest factor. Especially, if you are shooting 38 super.

I am moving to the dark side this year and last weekends match had 4 open shooters which is unusually. The new shooters clinic had 25 people attend mostly production and single stack. Open seems to be a division that people gravitate to with more experience or in my case aging eyesight.

Limited around here is mostly the older guys who don't want to reload alot. Open is the same way :roflol:

OLDER guys!!! OK, I guess I qualify. :mellow:

I like that too. Yea older guys like Chris T, Max, Brad, JJ, KC. Its starting to sound like that Dodgeball team (Blazer Taser). The other half of the Top 16 is over 40 so there ya go. :sight:

Edited by BSeevers

Open is just expense, period, and it requires a level of committment slightly above what most new shooters bring to the sport.

For the price of a quality open gun, 4 magazines and a race holster you can buy a completely tricked out Dillon 650, 2 complete production guns, with holster, belt, mag pouches and have more than enough money left over to buy powder, primers and bullets for a years worth of shooting.

I shot production, single stack and limited 10 for 4 years before taking the plunge. Told my wife it was because of my eyes, and it was, I had my eye on an open gun. :surprise:

For the price of a quality open gun, 4 magazines and a race holster you can buy a completely tricked out Dillon 650, 2 complete production guns, with holster, belt, mag pouches and have more than enough money left over to buy powder, primers and bullets for a years worth of shooting.

Or a very nice low milage (37,547) :rolleyes: 2002 red chevy S10 pick up and a Glock 35 5 hi caps a cr speed rig. WAIT a minute come to think about it, I did. :D:cheers:

Cost? A good single stack gun is at least two k and cost way more to shoot than my 9 major blaster. A good limited blaster is even closer in cost. I do see an increase in production division, at least here locally,but not necessarily a decrease in open .perhaps it's more of a regional thing.

Recent USPSA match here we had 23 Open, 32 Limited, 4 L10, 9 Production 10 SS.

Last Tuesday Night Steel it was 21 Open, 69 Limited (no L10 division) 15 Production, 21 SS and 5 revolvers.

Seems a little different than what others are experiencing.

Recent USPSA match here we had 23 Open, 32 Limited, 4 L10, 9 Production 10 SS.

Last Tuesday Night Steel it was 21 Open, 69 Limited (no L10 division) 15 Production, 21 SS and 5 revolvers.

Seems a little different than what others are experiencing.

WOW! ya'll have a big group. 131 shooters.Is this the average size