Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making a Glock 35 as nice as possible . . .

Pro2AInPA

I'm currently shooting a G35 in Limited division. Before spending ~$3K on an STI hi cap .40, I'd like to try to make my G35 as nice as possible and put a year or two of USPSA experience under my belt before dropping the money on a 2011.

Currently it has a Dawson ICE magwell and Dawson sights. All of my mags have Arredondo extensions. My KKM barrel should be here this week.

Just this morning I ordered a Lone Wolf SS guide rod and 15lb ISMI recoil spring.

Also this morning, I ordered a Vanek Custom drop in super trigger kit.

I can't think of any other way to make it better. Can any of you?

Oh, and I have 7,500 rounds of .40 major ammo currently loaded and ready for action. :cheers:

Edited by Pro2AInPA

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're on the right track. I have Dawson adj. sights with a FO front and plain rear & I don't see much room for a big improvement on them.

Ice magwell - same thing - you've got the best. You could buy a Seattle Slug, cut it off flush, drill & tap for the Ice screws. Adds weight.

I don't see the need for KKM barrel - you're just inviting malfunctions with other people's Glocked brass. I've had 4 glocks and none of them had any problem grouping under 1" at 25 yards. They all shot lead bullets fine as well, just clean them often with a Tornado brush. Personally I've only shot JHPs for a long time because I really don't like smoke. Or lead in my blood.

For grip mods, I figured out that anything the wraps around the front strap forces the gun in line with my right forearm, which I dislike. More on the sides, less on the front & back, for my hands that's the best. My plastic frame [mostly used for 22LR now] has no finger grooves and the minimum of trigger-guard is left after a trip to a grinding wheel. No turning back from that though and no shooting in Production.

Try a few spring weights with your new guide rod & always compare back to the factory unit. Look for which combo lifts the least RIGHT as the gun goes off - that lets you call your shot the best. Overall muzzle lift doesn't really matter - most of that is kick-back from the slide at full rear.

Don't forget the grip unless you like the plastic stock grip. This is good stuff:

http://www.brianenos...showtopic=91586

Easy to install/trim to fit around the magwell? I'm not very good with delicate procedures. :wacko:

It's not the easiest but really not that hard and they give you three grips so if you mess one up it's not a big deal.

The easiest way to go is the non wrap around type of grip tape that comes in panels you just peel and stick but

it's not nearly as good as this stuff.

Don't forget the grip unless you like the plastic stock grip. This is good stuff:

http://www.brianenos...showtopic=91586

+1 I love that grip tape.... Its the best upgrade I have done for my Glocks! and, you can never go wrong ordering from Chris.

A little scissor work and you are good to go. I posted pics of the tape around a Dawson magwell. If I had taken a few more minutes, it would have been nicer...

Heed he instructions about not touching the back of the grip tape... I had a corner on one of my three grips I had to help with a drop of super glue.

Edited by HS101

I can dig the good sights and grip tape.

Unless you are shooting bare lead, the aftermarket barrel is a waste of money.

The only thing else that I would prescribe is lots and lots of dryfire and livefire.

Do the after-market ported Lone Wolf barrels (the ones that extend past the slide and are ported both before and after the end of the slide) accomplish the same thing as other open compensators? What are the pro's and con's to these barrels. I have a limited Glock 35 that I just purchased from a fellow BE member and am thrilled with it: grip stippled and trimmed with beavertail, stormlake barrel, FO front sight (not sure on make), Glock adj. rear sight, magwell (not sure on make of that either). Also, how light is too light on the trigger? Are the aftermarket triggers such as the Vaneck as reliable as the OEMs? (I know this is a very subjective topic, I'm just curious about other peoples' opinions).

Thank you in advance for your input.

Steve

PS I'm relatively new to the sport and have been shooting a S&W Sigma 9mm until lately and have not gotten the chance to shoot the Glock 35 Limited gun yet.

Do the after-market ported Lone Wolf barrels (the ones that extend past the slide and are ported both before and after the end of the slide) accomplish the same thing as other open compensators? What are the pro's and con's to these barrels. I have a limited Glock 35 that I just purchased from a fellow BE member and am thrilled with it: grip stippled and trimmed with beavertail, stormlake barrel, FO front sight (not sure on make), Glock adj. rear sight, magwell (not sure on make of that either). Also, how light is too light on the trigger? Are the aftermarket triggers such as the Vaneck as reliable as the OEMs? (I know this is a very subjective topic, I'm just curious about other peoples' opinions).

Steve

PS I'm relatively new to the sport and have been shooting a S&W Sigma 9mm until lately and have not gotten the chance to shoot the Glock 35 Limited gun yet.

There is no way to explain the difference you will see between the 35 and your sigma. You'll like it!

Are the aftermarket triggers such as the Vaneck as reliable as the OEMs? (I know this is a very subjective topic, I'm just curious about other peoples' opinions).

Steve

The G35 is a far cry from a Sigma and the Vanek triggers are very good and very reliable.

Maybe this is a bit off topic, but you don't need to spend $3k on a gun to get an STI. I paid $1500 for mine and it came with four mags. If you really want an STI, you should think long and hard before you put more money into your Glock.

I think a Glock 35 is a great gun and can be very competitive in limited, but if you really want an STI, you should probably buy one, rather than pour money into your Glock that you'll never be able to recover.

I haven't ever shot a Glock in limited, but I do own and shoot them and this isn't an anti-Glock rant. I'm merely trying to say that if what you really want is an STI, you can probably have two of them for the price you're expecting to spend. STI's factory guns (Eagle and Edge) both have a lifetime warranty and are (pretty much) ready to go right out of the box. For years, I thought it'd take $2500-3000 to have a double stack/2011 and so I didn't buy one. Once I discovered how wrong I was, I started seriously looking and it didn't take long before I had one in hand.

If you want to stick with the Glock, it sounds like you have all the mods I'd want. Perhaps I'd stipple the grip with a soldering iron. That's about the only thing that could make that Glock better.

Oh and I'd remove the extended slide stop and replace it with a normal slide stop, but that's just my preference.

Steve

There is no way to explain the difference you will see between the 35 and your sigma. You'll like it!

Sure there is.

Night & day. ;)

Thanks for starting this thread because I'm trying to do the same thing with my G35.

So far mine is stock with the exception of a 15 lb recoil spring. I did some drills on the clock right after I got the gun using the stock 17 lb spring and two different ISMI springs (a 13# and 15#) using an after-market ISMI captured guide rod. The timer was saying that I shot better using the 15 b spring and it did seem like I was tracking the front sight better, so I'm gonna go with that one for a while.

I shot my first match with it today, and did alright -about on par what I usually do. I shot in Production Div since the rest of my gear is already set up that way, and plus I wanted to shoot it fairly stock for a bit to help decide what I really needed before buying a bunch of stuff for Limited. First off, I found out that the grip was a little too slick for SH and WH shooting, but can fix that easily enough with a decal grip kit I picked up the same time I got the gun.

For Limited Div, I've got a few things coming: One each of the Arredondo and Dawson +5 extensions, and a couple CR Speed mag pouches. I've read mixed reviews on both extenders, so will just have to try them out for myself and see where I end up. Once I figure which one works the best for me, I'll probably get a couple more for a total of four.

The stock Glock sights really don't do much for me. They're not bad, but nothing to brag about. So I think my next order is going to be the Warren competition rear sight set with DP fiber optic front sight. If memory serves, the front sight is .215" tall x .115" wide, which is a width I like on 1911's. I can also see doing the 25 cent trigger job in my near future.

I did have a chance to check out an ICE magwell on a G35 today, and I'm kind of leaning in that direction as well for Limited Div. The only real question in my mind right now is the standard one or the heavy one.

Lastly, I'm getting tired of changing up my belt back and forth from SS Div, so I suspect that I'll probably be getting a new CR Speed belt one of these days so as to have a dedicated belt for the Glock.

Thanks for starting this thread because I'm trying to do the same thing with my G35.

So far mine is stock with the exception of a 15 lb recoil spring. I did some drills on the clock right after I got the gun using the stock 17 lb spring and two different ISMI springs (a 13# and 15#) using an after-market ISMI captured guide rod. The timer was saying that I shot better using the 15 b spring and it did seem like I was tracking the front sight better, so I'm gonna go with that one for a while.

I shot my first match with it today, and did alright -about on par what I usually do. I shot in Production Div since the rest of my gear is already set up that way, and plus I wanted to shoot it fairly stock for a bit to help decide what I really needed before buying a bunch of stuff for Limited. First off, I found out that the grip was a little too slick for SH and WH shooting, but can fix that easily enough with a decal grip kit I picked up the same time I got the gun.

For Limited Div, I've got a few things coming: One each of the Arredondo and Dawson +5 extensions, and a couple CR Speed mag pouches. I've read mixed reviews on both extenders, so will just have to try them out for myself and see where I end up. Once I figure which one works the best for me, I'll probably get a couple more for a total of four.

The stock Glock sights really don't do much for me. They're not bad, but nothing to brag about. So I think my next order is going to be the Warren competition rear sight set with DP fiber optic front sight. If memory serves, the front sight is .215" tall x .115" wide, which is a width I like on 1911's. I can also see doing the 25 cent trigger job in my near future.

I did have a chance to check out an ICE magwell on a G35 today, and I'm kind of leaning in that direction as well for Limited Div. The only real question in my mind right now is the standard one or the heavy one.

Lastly, I'm getting tired of changing up my belt back and forth from SS Div, so I suspect that I'll probably be getting a new CR Speed belt one of these days so as to have a dedicated belt for the Glock.

I'd recommend checking out the Dawson sights. Having an adjustable rear sight is VERY nice.

I'm happy with the standard ICE magwell, but then again, I haven't tried the heavy one.

I have 6 Arredondo extensions and they've been flawless so far.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I have Heinie all black race cut sights, standard slide stop, dawson mag well, 15lb. wolf spring and steel guide rod, lightning strike lightened striker and titanium safety plunger. Added some Arredondo extensions to magazines and 3M stair step tape from Home Depot for grip.

You could skip the magwell and lightning strike parts, but grip tape and good sights are a must IMO.