Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading to capacity in Production

DoubleDelta

At my local club some Production shooters load their mags to full capacity on the side matches but only load 10 on the classifiers. I think they do this because there is no separation in club points between production and limited. Is this common at other local clubs?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my local club some Production shooters load their mags to full capacity on the side matches but only load 10 on the classifiers. I think they do this because there is no separation in club points between production and limited. Is this common at other local clubs?

Common? I hope not, I have never experienced it at any matches that I have attended. The only thing that I have seen is head to head steel shootoffs, where there were no seperate divisions, then you could load to capacity. Other than that Production is ten rounds per mag only.

What are we talking about here in terms of side matches? Hard to answer your question, when I'm not sure what you're asking.....

Sorry, side stages. Our club usualy has one classifier and two other stages that are thought up by the MD.

At my local club some Production shooters load their mags to full capacity on the side matches but only load 10 on the classifiers.  I think they do this because there is no separation in club points between production and limited.  Is this common at other local clubs?

Around here that's called shooting Limited.

Around here that's called shooting Limited.

I thought there was no bump to the next available division, but rather go straight to Open. If one declares Production but doesn't satisfy the requirements for that division, then it's automatically bumped to Open.

- Ants

What are we talking about here in terms of side matches? Hard to answer your question, when I'm not sure what you're asking.....

Sorry, side stages. Our club usualy has one classifier and two other stages that are thought up by the MD.

It sounds like you're describing a 3-stage USPSA match, and if that's the case, ALL stages must be run according to our rulebook.

Having Production mags loaded with more than 10 rounds (after the start signal) is an automatic trip directly to Open division.

If I understand what you are saying, you have a USPSA match that consists of 1 classifier stage. You also have a non-USPSA "fun match" that follows your own made-up rules.

I'm not sure what the powers-that-be would have to say about that, but I would suggest that your club isn't doing anyone any favors by running matches that don't follow USPSA rules then expecting people to follow those rules for the classifiers. It's like practicing with an Open gun but shooting Production for score - what's the point?

Easy guys.... his question was "is this common at other clubs".

DD, I don't think this is very common, but certainly not something that is totally off the wall either. If it is an affiliated USPSA club then there is some room for concern. The bylaws the club has agreed to require that the matches be run in accordance with USPSA rules and regulations including Division standards and capacity limits. However, if the guys are registering as Limited Minor or Limited 10 minor for the purpose of a match score and choose to load down to division capacity for a production classification stage, I cant see where there would be much of an issue.

I have never seen this done anywhere out here. Besides, the only thing I can see that this helps is the decay of reloading skills... YMMV

Later,

Chuck

My work gave me the opportunity to shoot at a lot of different clubs throughout the country. I have never heard of that before. If it is a match run under USPSA rules, sounds like a trip to Open to me.

Honestly if its a new shooter who only has 2 mags or is short mag pouches its not a big deal to me. Loading 2 mags to full capacity to get them through a stage is ok with me. If you want to post their scores with the open scores to feel better about following the rules thats ok too.

Hopefully they are made to feel welcome to any club match and have a good time. Then when they like the sport they'll spend the money when they're able to get fully equipped to play the right division. :cheers:

Honestly if its a new shooter who only has 2 mags or is short mag pouches its not a big deal to me. Loading 2 mags to full capacity to get them through a stage is ok with me. If you want to post their scores with the open scores to feel better about following the rules thats ok too.

Hopefully they are made to feel welcome to any club match and have a good time. Then when they like the sport they'll spend the money when they're able to get fully equipped to play the right division. :cheers:

Just have them shoot Limited and either Minor for 9 or Major for .40 and above. It lets them compete and follow the rules at the same time. :cheers:

Easy guys.... his question was "is this common at other clubs".

DD, I don't think this is very common, but certainly not something that is totally off the wall either. If it is an affiliated USPSA club then there is some room for concern. The bylaws the club has agreed to require that the matches be run in accordance with USPSA rules and regulations including Division standards and capacity limits. However, if the guys are registering as Limited Minor or Limited 10 minor for the purpose of a match score and choose to load down to division capacity for a production classification stage, I cant see where there would be much of an issue.

If they're shooting classifiers it has to be a USPSA affiliated club. R,

Edit to add: I don't think it's common...I've shot at a lot of clubs in quite a few states in the last few years and never heard of such a practice.

Edited by G-ManBart

Just have them shoot Limited and either Minor for 9 or Major for .40 and above. It lets them compete and follow the rules at the same time. :cheers:

We often spend a bit of time with new competitors (` 5 minutes) talking about their equipment and which divisions it fits into best. The ultimate choice is the shooter's, but it needs to be rules compliant. Some are happier starting out in Limited and worrying about fewer reloads, some have been happier starting in Production (as opposed to L10) with a Sig 229 and factory ammo.....

Not common at any USPSA match. Rules allow for divisions. You can run any match(except a USPSA one) any way you want cause its a free country but when you affliate and run classifers its a USPSA match.

Another possible issue, are they scoring Prod as Major since they are "shooting Limited" ?

I see a big issue with confused people traveling to shoot at other clubs cause when you load your Prod Glock to 18 at the other clubs, welcome to Open, Period.

Its more than high cap to competetion but I understand. I personally hate reloading.

im fairly new, but i've never heard of it being done nor do i think its a good idea. Why practice "Production" by loading your mags full. if you go to a bigger match (Lvl II or higher) you are going to have to run 10 in each mag on EVERY stage, not just the classifier.

now if you want to set up a random "fun at the range" day with oddball stages and load up your guns to capacity, have at it! thats the idea, to have fun.

But as other said, if you are running a USPSA match, you either follow the rules on all the stages or you dont. you can pick and choose.

Won't happen at my match. I don't know about other clubs, but when mine signed up for USPSA it agreed to comply with USPSA rules. As a CRO I am not going to flush my rep down the drain. Interesting concept, 4 stages of open including one classifier where the shooters just agree to download to ten rounds to hold their scores down.

Jim Gross

If your local club is in Iowa, and is one of these, then what you are doing is not in compliance with USPSA rules.

From the USPSA Area 3 webpage:

BLACK HAWK PISTOL CLUB INC

CEDAR RAPIDS AREA PRACTICAL SHOOTERS

I.O.P. RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB

WOODLAND HEIGHTS PRACTICAL SHOOTERS

OSCEOLA ORGANIZED PRACTICAL SHOOTER

If it's not on this list and its in Iowa and unaffiliated with USPSA, you can do what you want, but you can't call it a USPSA match.

If your local club is in Iowa, and is one of these, then what you are doing is not in compliance with USPSA rules.

From the USPSA Area 3 webpage:

BLACK HAWK PISTOL CLUB INC

CEDAR RAPIDS AREA PRACTICAL SHOOTERS

I.O.P. RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB

WOODLAND HEIGHTS PRACTICAL SHOOTERS

OSCEOLA ORGANIZED PRACTICAL SHOOTER

If it's not on this list and its in Iowa and unaffiliated with USPSA, you can do what you want, but you can't call it a USPSA match.

Never seen it at any USPSA match.

Yes, we call it Open Division. On the 12th shot you move to open.