Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The story of my stolen gun

Aristotle

This is a thread I wrote 3 years ago. I'm rehashing it as it's my fathers Birthday today, Feb 2nd. Something else I should add is, this event was probably what helped get my interest back at shooting handguns, and competitive shooting. And likely the reason I am where I am today.

Flash back to 96'. I was moving out on my own, the first day I am moved into my apartment, I get a call from my father, stating he is coming by to visit me. My dad walks in, with a brown paper bag in tow. He starts off with the spiel that he's proud of me growing up, and then comes in with the essentials of defending myself. Out of the bag, he pulls out a snubbie, a Rossi 88 snub nose .38 and a box of shells. I come from very humble family, and this is likely the best he could afford at the time.

Flash forward a few weeks, I'm at a party, meet up with an old high school friend, and we get to catching up. We end up hanging out a lot, and after some time, I find out he isn't doing so well, so I invite him to stay with me until he can get back on his feet. A week later, I come home to an empty house, empty of my .38 and some clothes and food. My then good friend, had disappeared, along with my stuff. This was back in 1996.

Now flash forward to 2007. I am married, with my own home. My father had passed away in February 6, 2005 from complications from a triple bi pass surgery at Swedish Hospital.

I go to the mailbox to find a letter from the Seattle Police department. I rush back to my house and open the letter. Apparently they recovered my pistol and was asking me if I still wanted it.

38-014.jpg

I call the detective about my firearm. He explains it is "beyond hope of repair" and was telling me I was better off allowing them to destroy the firearm. I decline, and explain that it had sentimental value and that regardless of condition, I would like to retain the firearm. He agrees, and gives me instructions on getting my pistol back. So I go to the evidence unit in Seattle, and as I am signing paper work, I read further detail of the recovery. It was recovered 2 years on the anniversary of my fathers death, February 6th, 2007. And the location of where it was located, was directly across the street from the hospital where my father breathed his last breath.

I bring the gun home and it does appear to be in horrible shape. Which is a given since it was buried in the soft fertile Seattle soil for close to 10 years.

38-004.jpg

38-002.jpg

After some elbow grease, a whole lot of CLP and a new cylinder.

38-005.jpg

38-015.jpg

The timing is a little off because all I did was swap out the cylinder. And I just found out my firing pin on the hammer is broken. So it's been retired from CCW use. I'm hoping to one day find a revolver Gunsmith that won't laugh at me for wanting to repair it. I'd like to be able to fix it so I can shoot it once again.

But in the end, it's nice to still have it. This is probably one of the only things of any significance I have from my father. Of all of my high dollar guns in my safe, this is the most important one to me.

I miss you Dad.

Edited by Aristotle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool story Aristotle. It's awesome that you got the gun back and even better that you've fixed it up that much. My dad gave me my first pistol as well, and I would be furious if I lost it. I'm glad you got your gun back and that you'll have to it around to remind of your Dad.

The gun represents for me, a lesson my father drilled into me, ever since I was a kid. And that was, my personal security belonged only to myself. My father grew up as an orphan. Him and his brother were homeless at the age of 12 and lived on the streets. Needless to say, my father had to grow up "tough".

He always told me, never to rely on anyone else. When the SHTF, you only have yourself, and your own protection, always watch your back. "you have to take care of yourself, and someday, your family." "You are a man, you are my SON."

He's likely the reason, why I am so Pro 2A. And something I will definitely pass down to my own children.

Awesome story! Why not post it to the Revolver forum as well, and see if you can find a revolversmith to put the final polish on it, back into fireable condition?

Aristotle: Not only will I be happy to help you out with your Rossi, but under these extraordinary circumstances I wouldn't dream of charging you for it! :D If you would like to proceed, the information for shipping me your gun are located on my dealer forum here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=192

Sometimes locating parts for guns like this can be a challenge. But I think I have located the hand, hammer nose spring and rivet--which are most of the parts I would need to get it up and running for you again. I'm still looking for a hammer nose--Numrich is out of stock, but I have a couple other sources to check. If not, it may be possible to fabricate a suitable replacement from a hammer nose from another model. We'll figure it out.

My own most treasured firearm is also a .38 snubby, an old Chief's Special that my grandfather and dad both carried on duty. My 17-year-old son Sam (who is named after my grandfather) asks me to get it out of the safe every now and then, just to look at it and remember the times he spent as a young boy with his great-grandpa.....

wow, I'm really lost for words. The generosity of this board is unbelievable. I can only hope to one day pay this forward. Thank you very much for the offer Mike, I'd love to take you up on it.

I went from pawn shop gunsmiths telling me to toss the gun, to having the best in the business offering to do the work. This means a whole lot to me, more than you will ever know.

ari b

Awesome story! Why not post it to the Revolver forum as well, and see if you can find a revolversmith to put the final polish on it, back into fireable condition?

Aristotle: Not only will I be happy to help you out with your Rossi, but under these extraordinary circumstances I wouldn't dream of charging you for it! :D If you would like to proceed, the information for shipping me your gun are located on my dealer forum here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=192

Sometimes locating parts for guns like this can be a challenge. But I think I have located the hand, hammer nose spring and rivet--which are most of the parts I would need to get it up and running for you again. I'm still looking for a hammer nose--Numrich is out of stock, but I have a couple other sources to check. If not, it may be possible to fabricate a suitable replacement from a hammer nose from another model. We'll figure it out.

My own most treasured firearm is also a .38 snubby, an old Chief's Special that my grandfather and dad both carried on duty. My 17-year-old son Sam (who is named after my grandfather) asks me to get it out of the safe every now and then, just to look at it and remember the times he spent as a young boy with his great-grandpa.....

Speaking of class acts..... :cheers:

Thank you for this thread.

After reading it, I spent some time thinking of my Dad, who passed away recently.

I then spent some time with the guns I got from him both before and after he passed.

Some nice, some not so nice, some valuable, some not, all priceless.

This thread also reminded me of the support I received from my gun buddies.

Folks I barely know off the range attended my Dads funeral.

Everyone says "If there's anything I can do..." but some actually mean it.

Gun people, wow, can't beat 'em.