Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The story of my stolen gun

Aristotle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Heck, any of you guys would have stepped up to help out......this just happens to be my area, that's all. :) (Actually, I thought for sure a couple of my crazy-ass revolver buddies would have waded in here by now with requests for free action work, now that I've revealed myself as such a sentimental softy!)

Anyway, here's a quick update: Ari's revolver is in my safe. I fully disassembled it and cleaned it up internally, and it appears that the major components are all in good shape. In addition to the problems Ari noticed, there are a few other issues that will need to be resolved before this gun can be returned to use. But nothing that can't be handled!

I have located most of the necessary parts to get everything back in good running order, and I've formulated a game plan to modify a couple S&W parts to fill in the gaps,

so hopefully within a couple weeks I'll be able to tell Ari his gun is up and running again, and on its way back home.

I am loving how this is working out. I know there are several of us on here who have hand-me-down guns that are "cheap" to most people but are priceless to us. I have a few of my own "priceless" guns so I know how meaningful this can be. Ari is a class guy and Carmoney as well.

Mike, I can't thank you enough, I could only dream of a situation were I am able to pay this back. You take as much time as you need, and I'm very thankful for anything you are able to do. Having admired your work online, and having shot a carmonized Revolver, I have my %110 faith in you. I am still learning my way around auto's, and don't have a clue about anything revolver wise. I have been feeling pretty guilty just allowing the gun to dwell in the back of my safe. So again, thank you very much, if there is anything at all I could do, please do me the favor of letting me know.

Ari B

Edited by Aristotle

• 2 weeks later...

Mission accomplished. Now the inside of Ari's snubby looks as good as the outside! :D

For the folks interested in the technical stuff: I couldn't find a Rossi hammer nose in stock anywhere, but I was able to modify a S&W hammer nose and it works perfectly. The rebound and hand torsion springs were rusted almost solid, but those were easily replaced with S&W J-frame springs. I refit the cylinder to the yoke, and honed the action a little, and that's all it took to bring it back to 100% functioning.

FYI Ari, I test-fired it with Winchester ammo. As with any firearm used for defensive purposes, you should test-fire it thoroughly with your choice of defensive ammunition before placing it into service. It will go out on tomorrow's Fedex truck, and should be at your door on Friday.

One more thing.....

As I was finishing up the work on your revolver, Ari, I couldn't help but be flooded with memories of times spent with family members of my own, some now departed. And it occurred to me that the real reason so many of us have been moved by your story, Ari, is that it touches a thread of common experience in all of us. Most of us will never experience the loss of such a cherished momento, followed years later by its unexpected and miraculous recovery! But we can all relate to the loss and redemption that happens between us and the people we care about as we go through our lives.

I want to thank you, Ari, for allowing me to participate in the restoration of this very special handgun. It has been a real honor.

post-4033-126707320498_thumb.jpg

I received the gun last night, and I'm flabbergasted. She almost feels like a different gun, it feels more solid than it ever was even new. And it felt so good to put her in her holster, and put it on my hip, it's like a old pair of jeans and sneakers.

I went to set up my match today, remembered to bring my gun, but forgot all of the ammo at home, lol. I'll try and put some rounds through it after the match tomorrow.

Again Mike, at the expense of sounding like a broken record, this is so beyond words. I can't thank you enough, it's as if I finally have closure in this now that she's back to 100% and even better than when it was new. And after I get my ammo sorted out, I can finally carry it confidently knowing if I ever need it, it will be there for me, just like my dad.

God bless.

ari b

38-002-2.jpg

Edited by Aristotle

What a great story!!!! I can't believe I have not read this thread until now. Man, what memories came flooding back of my Dad & I spending time together on the pistol range and just "talking guns".

Ari you are truly blessed to have had such a great Dad and blessed again to have Carmoney as a true friend.

Awesome, just awesome.......

Aristotle and Carmoney, I'd like to write this story up for Dillon's Blue Press if it's okay with you both.

OK, but I want that chick on the front cover to come interview me in person.

I don't think that's too much to ask.