Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage Design why do you do this

JAB

I don't have any problems with the prone or the kneeling stages. If you go to any of the larger matches you can rest assured that they will contain at least one stage with some variation of kneeling/prone shooting. My local matches are my training matches so I say bring it on and make it challenging, besides if all the stages were "hoser" stages we won't have anything to WHINE :wacko: about. NOT!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like having less physically challenging courses gives the advantage to less athletic shooters just like more physically challenging courses give the edge to the athletic shooters.

It seems like having less physically challenging courses gives the advantage to less athletic shooters just like more physically challenging courses give the edge to the athletic shooters.

Good point.

I went to a match a month or two ago...not affiliated with any organization, just a local flavor match...

I had bought some new cleats and wanted to try them out. The match is mostly knock-down steel. High round count on each stage. The stages used to average 3 positions. I hadn't been in a year or more. It was under a new owner and a new Match Director.

Every stage was shot from one position only. The Match Director is extremely obese.

I guess the moral there is...be the guy that designs/builds the stages. laugh.gif

Which is why a good match will have a good variety of both.

Good point.

I went to a match a month or two ago...not affiliated with any organization, just a local flavor match...

I had bought some new cleats and wanted to try them out. The match is mostly knock-down steel. High round count on each stage. The stages used to average 3 positions. I hadn't been in a year or more. It was under a new owner and a new Match Director.

Every stage was shot from one position only. The Match Director is extremely obese.

I guess the moral there is...be the guy that designs/builds the stages. laugh.gif

Not all of us fatties have the same outlook. :P

• 2 months later...

I like stages that have a mix of both, You can do the stage different ways, some ways are physically harder, some take more shooting skill, like a stage that gives you a run up and shoot or a sweet spot to hit it from farther back, I'll take the farther back, I can shoot but run like a turtle.

• 4 weeks later...

Shooting on the move is a skill. As are shooting from the prone, kneeling and all unconventional positions in between. Shooting when your heart is racing from physical from physical exertion is a very difficult skill. If you want to get better at these, you may need to exercise and/or loose weight in addition to practicing shooting. Just be honest with yourself and determine what is more important to you.

Funny.. My stats guy just sent me a stage with 3 kneeling positions yesterday. You have to know him, but once he goes down, he doesn't get back up. He has bad knees and a bad back. I figure if HE designs it and is willing to shoot it I won't feel the least bit bad about using it in a match. I'll also gladly point out who the designer while running from the barrage of rocks, magazines, sticks etc.

Funny.. My stats guy just sent me a stage with 3 kneeling positions yesterday. You have to know him, but once he goes down, he doesn't get back up. He has bad knees and a bad back. I figure if HE designs it and is willing to shoot it I won't feel the least bit bad about using it in a match. I'll also gladly point out who the designer while running from the barrage of rocks, magazines, sticks etc.

Lee,you gonna use this one on Saturday--I will be there anyway--

Lee,you gonna use this one on Saturday--I will be there anyway--

No. But I'd limber up for Oct. :devil:

Remember it is a shooting competition and not a physical one

For a plain shooting competition, bullseye, silhouette or even PPC might be a better choice. The athletic part of USPSA and IPSC makes them really stand apart from other shooting sports and makes it really dynamic and so attractive.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree with those who say it is not a physical challenge. The sport is absolutely about physical challenge. Shooting under both physical and mental stress defines the game. Same as golf and other sports. In pro golf you walk the course. The reason is that over the course of 18 holes that physical challenge becomes a factor and is part of the game. Disabled golfers sued PGA trying to force the use of carts. They lost.

Shooting quickly and accurately and safely from uncomfortable positions should be a significant part of the skill set we have and use in this sport. It will exclude some people.

Edited by lawboy

• 1 year later...

Its fun to mix things up..kneeling , prone to me is FUN to shoot..Easy way to make kneeling or prone area is cut squares in big barrels..Square on bottom near ground is prone..put one UNCUT barrel down and add cut one on top but again leave square on bottom of second barrel near top of first barrel and its a crouching.kneeling shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is this section labeled that these threads are not for stage design? Was there an issue at some point with people discussing stage design in this section that caused the forum to appear disorganized?

Why is this section labeled that these threads are not for stage design? Was there an issue at some point with people discussing stage design in this section that caused the forum to appear disorganized?

There is a whole section (down the board a bit) for all aspects of building matches. It's a good place for appearing disorganized. :) (that section was added years after this one)

This section is a "Shooting" section.

There is a whole section (down the board a bit) for all aspects of building matches. It's a good place for appearing disorganized. :) (that section was added years after this one)

This section is a "Shooting" section.

Gotcha. There should be an Enos site orientation or something...says the girl who throws the instructions in the garbage can.

When we shoot indoors (we have limited space during the winter) throwing in a kneeling position after a mandatory reload makes the shooters think.

We also had a prone position at the end of an indoor stage, but it was prone on a heavy-duty table so us old farts didn't have too much trouble getting down and back up......

When we shoot indoors (we have limited space during the winter) throwing in a kneeling position after a mandatory reload makes the shooters think.

We also had a prone position at the end of an indoor stage, but it was prone on a heavy-duty table so us old farts didn't have too much trouble getting down and back up......

Do you get down on your hands and knees to go prone, or do you go down from the side?

Kita,

Bill didn't explain that on the prone on the table stage, they forgot to take the Big Awesome into consideration........

Mikey starts the stage (almost AD's with his new Infinity's since he car really get them going compared to his older STI's), then comes running for the table and flops on it while hitting the edge closer to him with his leg as he launches himself downrange towards the targets.Suddenly, the desk and Mike are moving down range closer to the targets while Mike is hooking his foot on the back ledge of the the desk to stop from sliding off. He ended up a good 2-3 feet closer to the targets than originaly planned.........I would have given him a 7 to 7.5 on the European Sliding scale if we were grading his dive as he didn't keep his feet together but he did maintain good muzzle control to make up for it. Another good shooter launched himself and just about slid off the desk as he is too light to move the desk. Never a dull day with our guys, eh?

Kita,

Bill didn't explain that on the prone on the table stage, they forgot to take the Big Awesome into consideration........

Mikey starts the stage (almost AD's with his new Infinity's since he car really get them going compared to his older STI's), then comes running for the table and flops on it while hitting the edge closer to him with his leg as he launches himself downrange towards the targets.Suddenly, the desk and Mike are moving down range closer to the targets while Mike is hooking his foot on the back ledge of the the desk to stop from sliding off. He ended up a good 2-3 feet closer to the targets than originaly planned.........I would have given him a 7 to 7.5 on the European Sliding scale if we were grading his dive as he didn't keep his feet together but he did maintain good muzzle control to make up for it. Another good shooter launched himself and just about slid off the desk as he is too light to move the desk. Never a dull day with our guys, eh?

There should be extra points for flare! Next time, prep the stage with froglube to increase your entertainment factor. :goof:

Kita,

Pics/video or it didn't happen.... :devil:

This I gotta see!