Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why are S&B primers so cheap ?

StratRider

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, njl said:

Some say they're harder to seat than CCI. I haven't found that to be the case with SPP. I do have that issue with their LPP. My only complaint with the SPP is that the bottom of the cup seems to be less rounded than CCI, so they're a little harder to pick up in Dillon primer tubes and more easily flipped. But they've worked fine in my Glock's and K-frames. And the price is usually hard to beat.

I would agree that the squarish corner profile is a little harder to get when you are chicken-pecking with Dillon tubes, but I've never had an issue when seating them.  I've shot about 3-4K of them in Glocks and PCC, all went bang.  Local Cabelas has them occasionally. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/28/2017 at 2:59 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Order placed.  SP are backordered with 3 to 4 week delivery estimate.

I guess they were just guessing on when they would be back in stock.  Got an email that they will be delivered tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I guess they were just guessing on when they would be back in stock.  Got an email that they will be delivered tomorrow.

Not sure if S&B's are being referenced or another brand, however S&B SPPs are in stock according to Cabelas website

1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

Not sure if S&B's are being referenced or another brand, however S&B SPPs are in stock according to Cabelas website

After I placed my order for several bricks of the S&B SPP, Cabelas sent me an email indicating they would be shipped in 3 to 4 weeks.

Early delivery will be a pleasant surprise.

I had nothing but trouble with S&B SPP & SRP. Had 5K of them when I got my 650. Thought there was something wrong with the primer feed. Constantly having primers jam, breaking the springs, re-adjusting. Had high primers, backwards, & light strikes with these. Gave them away and went to CCI/Winchesters and have not had a problem or issue with the primer system on my 650 since with about 15K to 20K or more rounds. My son tried using them up on a Lee Turret press & had issues seating them.  Good luck. Maybe I had a bad batch.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

5 minutes ago, gerritm said:

I had nothing but trouble with S&B SPP & SRP. Had 5K of them when I got my 650. Thought there was something wrong with the primer feed. Constantly having primers jam, breaking the springs, re-adjusting. Had high primers, backwards, & light strikes with these.

I guess I'll let you know soon enough. I'm a 650 user who has a flawless press when loading 9mm with CCI & Win & Federal... and I just ordered 500 S&B primers based on this thread.

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I guess I'll let you know soon enough. I'm a 650 user who has a flawless press when loading 9mm with CCI & Win & Federal... and I just ordered 500 S&B primers based on this thread.

Seems to me, without measuring them and comparing,  that the S&B's were slightly larger? Maybe metric sized, just slightly off.

gerritm

I got a deal on like 15K of them a year or so ago and ran them all. I think I had 2 that didnt pop in my pistols.... the press likes WSP better but they ran in the press fine. 

I bought 20K of small pistol S&B primers from Cabela's when they went on sale..... shot over 10K of them.. EVERYONE OF THEM WENT  -  B A N G... in my STI Open pistols and my Stag 9mm carbine... 

Even at the sale price of $20/k, by the time I pay for Haz Mat shipping and sales tax, those S&B primers cost more than I can buy CCI's for at the local gun show, tax included.  

If I could just pick some up, I'd buy them, but they NEVER have SPP in stock at the local store. 

I have used S&B LPP, and they worked fine for me.  Just not shooting much LPP these days...  

I had nothing but trouble with S&B SPP & SRP. Had 5K of them when I got my 650. Thought there was something wrong with the primer feed. Constantly having primers jam, breaking the springs, re-adjusting. Had high primers, backwards, & light strikes with these. Gave them away and went to CCI/Winchesters and have not had a problem or issue with the primer system on my 650 since with about 15K to 20K or more rounds. My son tried using them up on a Lee Turret press & had issues seating them.  Good luck. Maybe I had a bad batch.

gerritm

That's surprising, I've run 5k? On my 650 with no issue. But they do require a firm seating, especially in tight primer pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've run about 15k of the spp in 9 minor, major and .40, All went bang. One of my open guns even has a 17lb recoil spring with a few coils cut and it still fired every one of them. I just ordered 10k of srp for my 38sc, so hopefully I get the same experience with those. 

16 hours ago, Xanatos903 said:

I think I'm at nearly 15k for 9mm alone, and I'll be buying some more the next time they go on sale for $20/k. They are somewhat hard to seat on my Hornady LnL, but the price is too good to pass up. 

They are on sale right now for 19.99.

On August 7, 2017 at 11:15 PM, WestTex said:

I've run about 15k of the spp in 9 minor, major and .40, All went bang. One of my open guns even has a 17lb recoil spring with a few coils cut and it still fired every one of them. I just ordered 10k of srp for my 38sc, so hopefully I get the same experience with those. 

Good luck with the SRP in 38SC. I tried SRP in my 9 major open gun with a 17# mainspring, & it was a no-go. Really the only primer my open guns would not light. Just hard as stone. Hope it works 

Loaded up 500 rds yesterday for the first time with the S&B SPP.  

They do seat a bit harder than CCI or Winchester SPP (using a 550) but at a $8 - $10 savings per brick, I'll learn to just push a little harder.

Out of the 500, I did have 4 pieces of brass where the primer would not seat resulting in very high primers.  I've not had that happen with other brands of primers in years.

Shot about 200 at the range earlier today and all went bang.

I plan on using these primers for practice ammo until I develop a little confidence in them.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

On 8/4/2017 at 6:18 AM, gerritm said:

I had nothing but trouble with S&B SPP & SRP. Had 5K of them when I got my 650. Thought there was something wrong with the primer feed. Constantly having primers jam, breaking the springs, re-adjusting. Had high primers, backwards, & light strikes with these...

Loaded my first 200 on my 650 tonight. I've been loading Winchester SP and CCI Magnum SP recently, for reference.

I'm a fan. Unlike Winchester, they're more likely to actually be properly sized and don't jam 3 times per 100 when fed through a vibraprime. Primer seating felt easier than CCI or CCI Magnum, about the same as Winchester. 

I haven't shot any yet - that'll happen on Saturday. I'll run them with a 13lb hammer spring at my local match. The Tanfo will light Winchesters with that spring, but fails a dozen times per 100 with CCIs in double action.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Loaded my first 200 on my 650 tonight. I've been loading Winchester SP and CCI Magnum SP recently, for reference.

I'm a fan. Unlike Winchester, they're more likely to actually be properly sized and don't jam 3 times per 100 when fed through a vibraprime. Primer seating felt easier than CCI or CCI Magnum, about the same as Winchester. 

I haven't shot any yet - that'll happen on Saturday. I'll run them with a 13lb hammer spring at my local match. The Tanfo will light Winchesters with that spring, but fails a dozen times per 100 with CCIs in double action.

SB do go thru the vibra prime easier. They load almost as good as win but they are harder. Im gonna guess you'll  have some light strikes on the DA pulls.