Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why do you shoot the division you shoot?

steviesterno

I shoot Open, LOUD, fast and violent. Ok, I might not be fast, but loud and violent are fun. :lol: Also not having to clean 4 or 5 mags after a stage is a benefit.

Edited by TerryO

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I shoot them all and have fun. They all have there fun factor but revolver always makes me laugh when I shoot them. Open is just pure speed as long as I hit the targets. Limited/limited 10 are fun with 6" pistols and even minor loads. Single stack is alot of work but shooting a 45 is always fun. Production is nice on the body with minor loads with a slight workout doing reloads. I even shoot 22 rimfire matches with my sons and that is fun watching them getting faster, may not be that much fun when they beat me :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I shoot open because i love how accurate my gun is, and i know where that dot is, thats where the bullet goes. i can work on my shooting and not worry about my gun. it will do its job. I also love the loud, fast paced gaming. it also seems like the most competitive. thats wehre i want to be. its challenging, especially for a young kid like me :)

I started with limited for a couple years then switched to production. I like seeing the combined division match results knowing that I finished where I did in what is one of the hardest divisions to compete in when it comes to combined division results. I also think that with the limited round count in the gun and minor only scoring make you work more on the fundamentals since you have to make every round count.

Simple: I want to make sure that my gear isn't whats holding me back. When I step up to the line I want to know that the score - good or bad - is all on me. With that in mind, I can financially afford a Production gun that is pretty much optimal for the division.

I could shoot Limited even with this gun, but it wouldn't be optimal. I could probably even piece together a workable Open gun if I wanted, but it wouldn't be a true competitive gun - it would just be something to make do with. I don't want to "make do".

I will say though that I recently shot a fun match for charity and since it wasn't really an official USPSA match, they had everyone load mags to max capacity (otherwise some people just didn't have enough mags to complete the long stages). It was certainly a different world starting out with 18 rounds in the gun rather than 11. I didn't technically NEED to reload more than once on any stage, but strangely enough at least twice I did a reload on reflex - hit a group of 3-4 targets, shot them, and then when changing positions I just instinctively hit the mag release. I guess I'm just too programmed to change mags after every patch of targets :).

Eventually though, I fully intend to getting a tricked out Limited gun. Probably an Open gun too one day, but for now its not a priority.

Edited by MGMorden

I shoot production cuz I can't afford to shoot anything else really. I get bullets when I can, Brass where I can, and all the primers I can seem to locate at the budget I have which isn't much. I like to try other divisions like SS and revo but I run out of compnents and I have to budget my reloading along with my time that I take in everything else I do. I have tried Limited but I have to trasfer my powder measure to the 40SW set-up. It gets old after a while. I did finally get a new powder measure set-up but I am lazt too. Anyway. I was going to try Open this year but I am not sure yet. Lots of ammo testing means lots of ass pain and money down the drain till I get the gun running. Maybe I will sell it and get a Limited gun instead. Maybe wait till I get the money to run an Open gun.

Well Long story short... Production cuz it is more cost effective for me.

Well here it goes.

I shoot L-10/SS & Open. I prefer L-10 because I love to shoot my custom 40 S&W. I shoot it very well & no gun problems whatsoever. Sometimes I will shoot SS for a change with the same gun & 8 round mags. As for Open I have a 38SC & another top-end built in 9mm. Shoot non-USPSA steel with a Custom Open SA 9mm minor single stack and USPSA Open with TRI (yes TRI) 38SC major or 9mm minor. Just can bring myself to shoot 9mm major. Wish 38SC brass was cheaper too much lost in USPSA. Would not trade my TRI for any other open gun! No problems whatsoever shoots extremly accurate, so what more can you ask for.

Out of all my guns I like my Custom Colt 40 S&W the best (see pic). I'm not fast & at 66 yrs. of age don't see speed increases on the horizon, fortunately with progressive lens glasses my vision is 20/20 and the FO front sight help alot. All I want is to be able to shoot at least another 10 years in Steel & USPSA and I'll be more than happy. Did not start competively shooting until I was 58 years old. Worked as a PM on the road & overseas for 30 years.

post-14994-0-63086300-1323127673_thumb.j

I have always shot Limited because it offers a more consistent test and I do not like dots and comps on pistols. By more consistent test, there is always one of the 4-6 GMs that shoots a good match so I can look at my performance realistically. The times I shoot Lim10, okay, I might get 1st, 2nd or 3rd, and beat a few good shooters, but it is a bit hollow knowing I did not run agains the best. I shot Lim10 to practice my reloads and work on stage planning, purely as a training division.

That said, I am going to work on shooting a few mathces in production, SS and Revolver this year...shooting the old IDPA guns in USPSA should be fun.

I started in Limited and got my A card eventually. For a change up I went to Production, and liked it enough to have stayed there since. Breaking down the stages with 10 rounds in mind makes it a very different but still very enjoyable game. I also like that it is much less equipment oriented than some of the other divisions. It eliminates the issue of varying magazine capacity (I still have my hideously expensive Para Limited mags that cost ten times what my Glock mags did), and is an inexpensive division to play in.

If my eyes force me, perhaps some day I'll end up building an Open gun, but I'm happy right now.

Shot a USPSA match yesterday in Revolver, and then in Single Stack. First time for either. It was actually fun in both, but I enjoyed Revolver the most. I learned to count to 6 pretty quick :surprise: Going from 20 rounds at a time to 6 or 8 was like the water going cold in the shower unexpectedly. I'm going to stay in Revo or SS for a while to work on a few of those unique and universal skills the 6 and 8 round capacity stresses. :cheers:

I started out in Production, then went to SS, and I am now in Limited. I like limited because I can try to work on going faster (still working on that) and the variability in equipment/rules. I do love the 1911/2011 platform and plan on stikcing with it for awhile.

I like all of them. I started out in revo made B Class swithed to limted made B Class now im in L-10 and SS for now. I have shot Prod and Open. I like them both im just not ready to move in to open as i still shot a lot of IDPA and they dont like the open guns there.

Jeremy Hardin

I first started with a .38 Sooper (single stack) iron sighted open gun then got a wide body with a scope. I broke too many parts and pieces then changed to Limited out of frustration. I quit for a long time and recently (last year - wow it's been a year) returned to shooting Limited. Now while waiting for a new Limited gun, I'm shooting Single Stack and I'm really enjoying the experience.

I like:

• the iron sight game for the discipline it requires to read the sights.
  • Limited for the relatively unrestricted rule set for equipment.
  • Single Stack for the combination of challenges required to shoot this division well.

Limited will always be my first choice but I will be spending a fair amount on match fees registered for Single Stack.

For sh!ts and giggles, I have an open rimfire gun and a bunch of .38Sooper wide body mags just in case I ever revisit Open. I haven't yet ventured into L10 or Production, but who knows?

I shoot Production (although I have open guns too). I chose Production as it seems to be the most level playing field, and is based more on the shooter, than the equipment (this is my opinion, and others may disagree with it, as is their right.)

I'm a noob but I think the same way.

I also shoot Production because I figure if I can shoot my stock XD9 well I can shoot anything well.

After a lengthy absence to earn my Masters degree, I'm returning to shooting this coming spring.

Production Division is where I'll be when I shoot USPSA for two main reasons:

1. Overall cost of the gun and equipment.

2. I like the challenge of shooting a "relatively" stock firearm.

...I also like the fact that I can buy factory 9mm ammo when I'm too lazy to reload. :P

• 2 weeks later...

After 3 years of USPSA I'm now classified with all guns...only a C. Had I stuck with one gun, I might have made B. Anyway I'm starting to narrow it down to L10 Major, Single Stack Minor and Production.....all 10 round guns. Ammo is cheaper and the 10 round platforms make stage planing similar for all 3 guns. Maybe I'll narrow it down further after a year or so.

Production will always be my home. Even when I get to the point where I can afford a LTD/Open gun, I will always return to Production.

- Cheapest

- Most practical (I shoot my carry gun)

- Has the most emphasis on accuracy due to Minor PF

- Hardest division to get good at that doesn't involve shooting a weapons system so obsolete it needs its own division to be competitive (cough)

- Plenty of competition available

Edited by DonovanM

Simple, USPSA Single Stack or Limited 10, IDPA CDP or ESP. After a lot of data collecting, range hours and other assorted training regimes, It has became crystal clear that my progress in this sport has absolutely nothing to do with Magazine capacity or caliber. My two biggest obstacles to moving up in the ranks is target transition and stage breakdown. After I am able to lower my transitions closer to my splits, I may consider acquiring a limited gun. Until then, you'll finding me slaving away at the plate rack and the El Prez. Lately, I have found that running the plate rack with a .22 conversion is just like dry firing but with immediate feedback.

Bob

I mostly shoot Open because my eyesight likes a dot over a fuzzy looking front sight. However, I've shot Production, SS and L-10 this year at some local matches. Teh truth is that I enjoy whatever division I'm shooting at the time. ;)

Just started USPSA after many years shooting IDPA. I will be shooting revolver and maybe production for a while. The hardest things is learning that I can reload on the move and drop loaded moon clips when it works out. So far I like USPSA much better, just not as many places to shoot around here.

Production

1. Skills tested transfers the best to my job (more mag changes etc...)

2. It is a "technical division"

3. Gun types common in the division are the same as where I work

4. Scored in minor so you have to shoot more A's to be competitive

5. Widest array of competitor skill levels and arguably one of the "deepest" division in my section