Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If Federal is #1, what's your #2?

MissionaryMike

36 minutes ago, bthoefer said:

I run an 11.5 hammer spring and it's 100 percent with CCI. 

4 minutes ago, EngineerEli said:

Winchester, are between Federal, and CCI. I avoid Remington all togeter, they have been inconsistant, in my experience. My experience with a light hammer spring Stock II.

Thanks for the replies, guys.  Was it necessary to fiddle a bit w/ the loads, i.e. powder charge or OAL, when changing back and forth to either of your loads w/ Federal?

The Rem 1 1/2 are softer than the Win's, and possibly even the Fed's (not sure about that), but if you actually read the fine print on them you are technically not supposed to use them on ' high pressure pistol cartridges'. (9mm, .40 both included in the warning) I have used them for 9mm and have noticed moderate primer flow intro my FP hole. I have also had issues with some simply not going off even with a deep primer strike. (one in 20 or 30) Maybe because they are so soft/sensitive I messed something up in them by seating them too firmly, but I have never had that issue with any other main stream primer. I'll finish up the last 500 I have and keep to Winchesters or Federals.

I run an 11.5# hammer spring and it pops CCI and Fiocchi primers just fine with the extended firing pin. Never used Federal primers and zero interest in trying them.

Edited by Andreas

23 hours ago, EngineerEli said:

Winchester, are between Federal, and CCI. I avoid Remington all togeter, they have been inconsistant, in my experience. My experience with a light hammer spring Stock II.

Agreed.

One thing I recently noticed with Remington SPP's is the top to bottom dimension.  100 of them won't fit in a Dillon primer tube while Federal and Winchester have a lot of room left in the tube.  

I was speculating that this was leading to high primers in certain headstamps with shallower primer pockets.

Just now, d_striker said:

Agreed.

One thing I recently noticed with Remington SPP's is the top to bottom dimension.  100 of them won't fit in a Dillon primer tube while Federal and Winchester have a lot of room left in the tube.  

I was speculating that this was leading to high primers in certain headstamps with shallower primer pockets.

Yes, it is odd that the different brands take up different space when stacked. They definitely are not all the same height

I have a CZ Shadow custom from CZC with the same springs as in the OP. I typically run Federals but ran 10,000 CCI's recently when I could not get Federals. No problems whatsoever. I had three failures to ignite with 1000 Remington's . 

The only problem that I have had with Winchesters is they appear to be egg shaped and plug up a Vibraprime regularly. No problems in the gun. 

4 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

#1 Federal

#2 Winchester

#3 CCI

So from what I've been reading, your #1,2, and 3 seem to generally be the order in which most reloaders regard the ease of primer ignition.  However, I just read on CCI's site that its standard primers now have...

• Improved sensitivity for “critical-need” loading. 

I wonder if this "improved sensitivity" closed the gap between CCI's primer ignition and WSP, or even Fed's SPP. 

What at do you guys think?

I would go with winchester for number 2 and thats mostly because I havent really used CCI.  They federal and winchester seem to always work for me.  Im actually toying with the idea of switching to the winchesters all together for the smaller packaging.  The federals can get a little bulky.

It seems as though Winchester has always been my second choice when looking for more sensitive primers as Remington's were not always available in this area. As to the 11.5 spring, with either a CZC extended firing pin or a CGW's extended pin with the firing pin notch extended my guns are 100% with any primer I have tried except for the CCI primers made for .223 which I think are stamped out of diamond plate steel.