Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB vs LnL AP

I'm looking for a press to load 9mm. I don't load rifle in bulk, but wouldn't mind the versatility. I do have a co-ax for rifle though.

I also don't plan to use a casefeeder yet.

Assuming you could get the LnL for $50 more, totally ready to load 9mm, do you get the LnL or an SDB?

I would go with the LNL AP for $50 more. 5 station auto indexing. Break anything and Hornady will send you the part for free. Add a case feeder later and get up to 800 rounds / hour.

I don't know what an "indexing casting" is. I've broken two pawls because I forced the press when a spent primer got hung up - user error. Other than that trouble free. The priming system and the powder drop are better than the Dillon as well.

Dillion's been in the game and has a great rep, but you'd really need to be drinking the kool aid to pass this up. Hornadys been around a while too and stands behind their products. When I started loading it was either a LNL or a 550, after learning on a friends 650. I don't regret the decision. I'm sure you'll see plenty of posts trashing the Hornady LNL here, but you'll find plenty of folks talking about what a great press it is as well. It's not a Lee loadmaster, personally I think it's on par with a 650 in my experience.

And although I've got a Redding T7 for rifle, the LNL puts out plinking 223 fast. Not an option on the SDB.

BTW doesn't sound like you found a screaming deal on one. Midway has them for $400 and a set of carbide 9mm dies can be had for $40-$50. That's all you need, and only about $65 more than a SDB.

Edited by peterthefish

I'd go with the LNL then - forgot about the shell plates cost. If you plan to reload in any volume especially. Don't let the kool aid drinkers make you think that anything that's not blue isn't worth your time. Never seen anyone looking for an aftermarket powder bar insert or roller bearing for their LNL - just saying. And you'll have plenty of folks to walk you through any issues you might have getting going with it.

650 or LnL AP as said before, just the fact it uses propriety dies is a no-no for me.

Once you start loading progressive you will probably end up loading rifle with it as well, unless you only shoot very little.

I have the LnL and with a "poor mans" bullet feeder I can load 700 rnds/min easy (9mm), I don't have a case feeder because I don't think you need it.

Contrary to the 650 you load cases from the left so you can grab and load a case while operating the handle with your right.

Spend a few minutes setting it op correctly, ensure the timing is correct and it won't let you down.

LNL has been a great press for me. I have broken an indexing pawl before, but it was from forcing the press when a spent primer was stuck to the decapping rod (user error). Set-up and timing is ridiculously simple...I can't figure out how some people say they could never get it running correctly. I added a Mr. Bulletfeeder on a custom bracket and feed cases by hand for about 800 rounds per hour. Since I feed cases with my left hand, there really is no need for a case feeder. Another nice thing is since the shellplate rotates 1/2 position on each up and down stroke, I can fill a 9mm case to the brim with powder for 9-Major and not spill a single grain.

LnL vs SDB

LnL hands down. The posts above lay out the why pretty well.

LnL vs 650 is a different story, but the discussion only starts when you add a case feeder to the LnL, as then the price between the 2 is comparable.

The new RCBS Pro Chucker intrigues me a little bit as well. However, at the price points Ive seen for it, they better have a decent working case feeder, or it will fail from the start.

Every press has it advantages and disadvantages.

I don't like the fact that you have to place bullet and case on opposite sides of the SDB. I want one hand on the lever the other doing bullet/case tasks.

The LNL for me and if you buy it new you get 500 free bullets.

SDB requires 2 hands (one to feed a case, the other to feed a projectile).

LNL AP requires 1 hand, the other always remains on the lever.

So there LNL AP is faster, less fatiguing, takes any set of dies, and you can add a casefeeder later if you wish.

+ for the LNL AP. Have had mine (w/bullet feeder & case feeder) for a few years and am very happy with it. I load 9, 357, 44, 45, 308 & 30.06 on it.

If I only loaded 1-2 calibers and it was between the LNL and a 650 I'd probably go with the 650. But it didn't make sense $$$ when you look at a lot of different calibers.

If I had to do it all over again the only thing that I would do differently would have been to go with a different bullet feeder as the Hornady one is very noisy and their bullet feeder dies can be a bit finicky to setup.

LNL AP requires 1 hand, the other always remains on the lever.

I feel the SD is faster because of this. The right hand has nothing to do while you are placing a bullet so it inserts the case into the shell plate while your left is locating the bullet in the case then you go back up.

The LNL forces you to insert the case and locate the bullet with both jobs done by the left hand.

I look at it like an empty gun start with the mag and pistol on the belt. Both hands working together is a lot faster than just using one for both jobs.

Both hands working together is a lot faster than just using one for both jobs.

I agree - I reach for a bullet and cartridge case at the same time,

and that has to be faster than reaching for one, and then the other. :cheers:

Before I got a case feeder, I would reach for a case on the down stroke and a bullet as soon as I seated the case, seating the bullet midway on the upstroke. Never interrupted the rhythm of the press, although I did get my finger caught between a case and the seating die twice (ow!) due to inattention.

I own and love dillon gear (have a 650) but if the choice is lnl or sdb I'd be getting the lnl.

5 stations vs 4

Case feeder option vs none

Regular dies vs non adjustable proprietary dies

That's enough for me.