Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W new barrel for M&P

open67

I was informed by Jeff Whitehouse at S&W that they have a new barrel that is in the newer M&P's and is available for I believe around $85. He said it fit tighter in his and the twist has been changed to a faster rate. He said it tightened his group up by about an inch at 25. I have one on backorder. I have a 9L that had the original barrel that was not good. They sent me an updated barrel about a year ago that tightened it up considerably and made it acceptable for competition. Have been waiting for the barsto barrel but will give this one a try. Will post results when I get it and compare them. Must say the Jeff at S&W has been very nice to deal with.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new M&P barrels are mentioned in the following video:

Jerry Miculek reviews Smith & Wessons latest introduction into the M&P line of pistols, the M&P C.O.R.E. (Competition Optics Ready Equipment).

Received my 2010 produced M&P 9 pro back from S&W with a new barrel and it is the new 1 in 10 twist. Shot it at 25 yds with 147 and 124 and it groups 2.5" with both off hand.

That is a big improvement from what I've been reading and a lot cheaper than the aftermarket version.

Are you shooting lead or jacketed rounds?

Apex sells the new barrel. They developed it. The lockup is longer and the tolerances tighter.

It doesn't appear to be for sale from Apex either.

Apex sells the new barrel. They developed it. The lockup is longer and the tolerances tighter.

Are you saying that Apex makes the S&W factory installed barrel? I checked my march 2011 barrel against my new 1 in 10 twist replacement barrel and they are identical in all respects in the lockup/chamber area. The barrel that was replaced did have less"beef" in that area.

S&W won't sell the general public this barrel

They sold me one

I was told they will only sell to armorers or I could send my gun in and they would do it (5+ months!)

• 2 weeks later...

I just recieved a S&W replacement barrel form MIDWAY USA for my FS 9mm http://www.midwayusa.com/product/150824/smith-and-wesson-barrel-s-and-w-m-and-p-9mm-luger. Drop in fit, not sure of the twist rate but it is faster than my original barrel. No range report yet.

So it looks like the new S&W barrels are avalable for FS 9mm but not listed for L or Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

There was recently a post on Modern Service weapons with pics of the new barrel - I can't really tell the difference, the only thing I noticed was the dot (although I'm sure you could tell by actually looking at the twist rate). For the people who have gotten new barrels - do you have this marking?

Link to picture:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3719