Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W new barrel for M&P

open67

Still have not received my barrel. He had said that it was backordered but that I was no. 2 on the list so thought it would be a couple of weeks. As I posted the original post May 23rd its been all of that. Will give it a little more time since it is the holiday and then will call.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine came in yesterday, about 6 weeks after placing order. It definitely has a much tighter twist, rate but I have not tried it out yet. To be honest, since I replaced the locking block and put in the kkm barrel, it shoots great groups, so the new s&w barrel may not be such an improvement. Oddly, the kkm seems to have the same slow twist as the original barrel and would seem not to be able to stabilize 147 gr bullets that I use, but it does fine.

New barrel in. Will make a new post also. Need to shoot is some more but shot 3 ten shot groups at 25yds. and each group got tighter.( 124 gr. MG JHP ). Had some 115 MG JHP loaded and shot 11 rds. fairly quickly from a rest and 7 of them grouped inside of 2" easy. Looks promising. Will shoot some more groups when I get time and let you know.

This is how the new barrel shot today. Wants to group around 4 to 5 inches at 25 yds. Better than the older barrel. The 115 MG jhp that I had loaded up would shoot under 3 inches at 25. They had chrono'd around 145 and the 124's around 131. I think I'll bump the powder charge some and get the velocity up a little more and see how they do. The group was tighter horizontally than vertically so it may have some to do with the unlocking time. Definitely worth the 70 bucks. Have purchased a new 9mm pro that will have the new barrel and will see how that goes when it gets here.

Getting answers from these guys is like pulling teeth sometimes. "Part 425520000 BARREL 5" M&P9L $73.10 plus shipping" is what I got in the latest email but no word if it's a newer design. Anyone know?

I asked for the part number for the new M&P Pro 9mm and was quoted that part number at that price. None in stock but she did let me place the backorder.

1(413)781-8300 option 7 for parts. for those interested in how i place my order.

I have an M&P bought that was ordered first week of January. My barrel has the marking and appears to be a tighter twist. I can say that the barrel is pretty accurate. No chance to test groupings but off hand at 20 yards everything within 2.5 inches or so.

• 2 weeks later...

There was recently a post on Modern Service weapons with pics of the new barrel - I can't really tell the difference, the only thing I noticed was the dot (although I'm sure you could tell by actually looking at the twist rate). For the people who have gotten new barrels - do you have this marking?

Link to picture:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3719

That looks like an indentation from a hardness test.

Getting answers from these guys is like pulling teeth sometimes. "Part 425520000 BARREL 5" M&P9L $73.10 plus shipping" is what I got in the latest email but no word if it's a newer design. Anyone know?

I asked for the part number for the new M&P Pro 9mm and was quoted that part number at that price. None in stock but she did let me place the backorder.

1(413)781-8300 option 7 for parts. for those interested in how i place my order.

Thanks for the info, I placed my order a couple of days ago and got on the back order list (6-8 wks?).

Stupid question. How do you know if you have a 5" Pro or a 5" ProL?

I do not believe there is a 5" ProL, i think the only options in a 5" gun are a 5" Pro or a 9L. The 9L is no longer in production from my understanding. The difference between the 5" Pro and the 9L are the different sights and sear.

Stupid question. How do you know if you have a 5" Pro or a 5" ProL?

I do not believe there is a 5" ProL, i think the only options in a 5" gun are a 5" Pro or a 9L. The 9L is no longer in production from my understanding. The difference between the 5" Pro and the 9L are the different sights and sear.

I believe the slides on the 9L are shapped differently and lighter as well. I recall reading a buildup of a 9 open gun from someone (maybe apex?) and they went with the 9L because they would'nt have to do any slide lightening.

The shape of the slide on the 9L is a little different up by the muzzle when compared to the 5" 9 PRO. Also on the uspsa production list the weight for the L is about .8 oz heavier than the pro. If you have a Pro series it should say pro series on the slide somewhere .

Are you sure it's heavier? I have a 9L and just got a pro. I had looked into it at one time and I believe the 9L was lighter. The angled bevel at the muzzle instead of straight down on the Pro and it you look at the extractor area on the two the 9L is scalloped away more around the extractor.

Are you sure it's heavier? I have a 9L and just got a pro. I had looked into it at one time and I believe the 9L was lighter. The angled bevel at the muzzle instead of straight down on the Pro and it you look at the extractor area on the two the 9L is scalloped away more around the extractor.

Thats what I though too but the production list has the M&P9L listed at 28.2 oz and the Pro listed at 27.44 oz

• 5 weeks later...

I was an RO at the Pro Am this last weekend, and Jerry was shooting open class with an M&P that had some kind of dot sight in the dovetail, where the rear sight usually is. I've never seen him shoot open with anything other than a STI/SVI.

When I asked him if he had a fitted bbl, he said it was one of the new stock bbls, and it would do 50 yard head shots. :surprise:

How big was the head he was shooting at? My new barrel seems to shoot around 5" at 25yds. MG 124 jhp and tightgroup making around 132pf. Have bought a new pro but sent it in because the trigger was 8lbs. 4oz on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. Have Apex parts ready to go in but wanted it at what it was suppose to be to start with( 4 to 5 1/2). Also there was more play up front between the slide and frame than my 9L and told them to check it as I doubt this will help accuracy. Have had occasional failures to fire. Doesn't appear to be light hits and not high primers so don't know exactly what is going on. Purchased 2 extra power stiker springs but they are shorter than the Apex that is in and don't seem to be any stronger. Tried to measure the difference in the trigger pull between the two for about a half an hour but couldn't measure anything consistent between the two.

How big was the head he was shooting at? My new barrel seems to shoot around 5" at 25yds. MG 124 jhp and tightgroup making around 132pf. Have bought a new pro but sent it in because the trigger was 8lbs. 4oz on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. Have Apex parts ready to go in but wanted it at what it was suppose to be to start with( 4 to 5 1/2). Also there was more play up front between the slide and frame than my 9L and told them to check it as I doubt this will help accuracy. Have had occasional failures to fire. Doesn't appear to be light hits and not high primers so don't know exactly what is going on. Purchased 2 extra power stiker springs but they are shorter than the Apex that is in and don't seem to be any stronger. Tried to measure the difference in the trigger pull between the two for about a half an hour but couldn't measure anything consistent between the two.

Backorder some Zero 125 grain, .356 jhps, and/or some Precision Delta, 124 grain, jhps. Both shoot 2" at 25 yards out of my old 9mm Pro, and under 2" at 50 yards out of my STI open guns. I have had horrible accuracy results out of MY guns with Montana Golds.

Happen to have a box of 38 super (125 gr. jhp ) Zero's. Will try it. My MG's shoot a tight group at 30 yds out of my Rogers Precision open gun ( shoots under 2" with Hornady hap bullets @ 50 ) and a little bigger group with my Bedell open gun.