Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W new barrel for M&P

open67

S&W M&P 9 Pro barrel update:

I called S&W yesterday to order some frame plugs for when I remove the thumb safety from my new FDE M&P45. While I was on the phone with them I asked them about my barrel order and the rep tells me that all barrel orders have been cancelled and that they will no longer be selling barrels.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have shot the KKM multiple times in both my 9L and the newer Pro. Disappointed. The KKM looks great and fits a little tighter (miced it and it is a little bigger in some areas). While the newer M&P barrels shoot better than the older ones ( delivering about a 3" to 4" horizontal by 4" to 5" vertical group ). The KKM just turned that spread 90 degrees. ( 4 to 5 by 3 to 4 ) .Found that very unexpected. When I ordered my KKM and they told me it was gauranteed to be more accurate I found out that doesn't mean with your reloads. I called to return the barrel telling me of my results and they said that it would be only if it did not shoot better with quality factory loads. I asked what kind they would except and he just repeated quality factory. I asked Win. white box or something else. He said of course jhp would be more accurate so I have some of both. Will try these and see what happens. I've shot both Zero's and Montana gold ( which I primarily shoot ) and the MG shot better. Consider these pretty decent components. I've had 2" groups at 50 yds. with my open gun. Not apples to apples but still. Kind of get the impression that from reading a no. of posts here that us with the 5" guns have more troubles with accuracy than those with the 4" ones may have to explore that a little more. Any way that is my results of the KKM barrel with my reloads. Also, am using tight group 4.2 grains. About a 132 pf if memory serves.

I gave up on Smith & Wesson CS after the first “improved” barrels they came up with for my 9L were actually worst than the original. (1-24” twist!)

When I called and complained about my 147 gr. bullets making ovals in the target they told me to switch to lighter bullets. :surprise:

Last year, I purchased a Storm Lake stainless from Midway. (1-14” they claim)

Couldn’t be more happy! Took some minor stoning to get it to fit and it ran flawless all last season. (wish I did. LOL)

:cheers:

Jeff

I just looked at my debt card withdraws and noticed that I had two withdraws from Smith & Wesson on the 7th. One of them was for $77.36, just so happens this is the same amount that they quoted me for a new M&P 9 Pro barrel a few months ago. So now I have my hopes up that I will be getting a new barrel sometime this week.

I just looked at my debt card withdraws and noticed that I had two withdraws from Smith & Wesson on the 7th. One of them was for $77.36, just so happens this is the same amount that they quoted me for a new M&P 9 Pro barrel a few months ago. So now I have my hopes up that I will be getting a new barrel sometime this week.

After reading this post, I got my postcard and called S&W customer service and after being on hold for almost an hour, I spoke with Paul, gave him my order number and he said that barrel is still on back order.

I placed the order in July of 2013 so good luck and post a pic when you get your barrel.

I received the new S&W 5in barrel yesterday. It has two dots on the bottom of it. I going to use old barrel at a steal match tomorrow and then see what kind of groups I get with it at 25 yards off the bench. I plan on switching out the locking block and install the new barrel this week. The following weekend I will take it out and see what the new locking block and barrel do off the bench at 25 yards.

IMG_0548a_zps3ee30e25.jpgNewBarrel_zps4545a064.jpg

New barrel

OldBarrel_zpsf054736a.jpg

Old barrel

Edited by beckham

• 3 weeks later...

Beckham,

What is the part number you ordered? I've been trying to get a replacement barrel for my M&P9 Pro for a while now but keep getting shut down. This lack of customer service from S&W is starting to really make me consider a switch to Glock when i build my new Limited gun.

I'm an idiot and didn't save the target, but did manage a 3" ish group this past weekend. Shooting off hand with the newer barrel at 25yrds. I was disappointing when I first got it because it looked like a shotgun blast, but I think it might have just needed a brake in of sorts with my bayou bullets. Load was the 125 grains from Donnie on 3.6 grains of tight group. About 45 degrees and sheltered from the wind. I'll try and replicate when I have more time.

I sent my M&P Pro 5" back to S&W for a new barrel. I tried to give them money for a new barrel and they refused however they said to send the entire gun in and they will replace the barrel if it doesn't meet spec. My gun arrived at S&W on March 3rd, any gueses when I will see it again?

I'd love to get a second factory barrel for my 4.25" Pro CORE to have magna ported. But it's amazing to read how impossible it is to get barrels. At this point I'm assuming when I'm ready I'll end up experimenting with an aftermarket barrel.

Just picked up a new 5" 40 Pro (December 2013 spent case) and the barrel has the same two dimples shown on the 9 Pros in this thread. The slide stop assembly appears to be the original design, not the newer version Hilton Yam wrote about that puts pressure against the trigger bar to improve the feel of the reset.

Edited by Kool Aid

S&W really impressed me by getting my gun back to me in just over two weeks. Unfortuantly they replaced my barrel with the single dimple version. I am planning to take it to the range on Friday, I will post my results.

Speed Shooter Specialties got the factory 9L/Pro barrel back in stock last night and I managed to grab one before they sold out. I'll report back to let everyone know if it is the new profile or the old.

Barrel came in last night and it has the old rifling. At least I have a spare barrel now. The hunt continues for the new version!

Edited by JonTBarrett

S&W really impressed me by getting my gun back to me in just over two weeks. Unfortuantly they replaced my barrel with the single dimple version. I am planning to take it to the range on Friday, I will post my results.

Any update on how it shot?