Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not getting shot

SoonerPast

Our first stage of the match today, I was down range, pasting the most distant target in a shoot house stage. I turned from the target, bang, bang, bang. The steel, just 10 feet to my side, fell and I assume the clam shell target in front of it had been shot. By the 5th or 6th shot someone must have heard me shouting and the shooting stopped.

The "SO" was pretty shaken, me too. I'll be certain the stage over which I have any control will be clear, make sure I walk the last paster out, count the sqad members, etc, etc. I don't have any extra holes and I like that.

Our first stage of the match today, I was down range, pasting the most distant target in a shoot house stage. I turned from the target, bang, bang, bang. The steel, just 10 feet to my side, fell and I assume the clam shell target in front of it had been shot. By the 5th or 6th shot someone must have heard me shouting and the shooting stopped.

The "SO" was pretty shaken, me too. I'll be certain the stage over which I have any control will be clear, make sure I walk the last paster out, count the sqad members, etc, etc. I don't have any extra holes and I like that.

Holy S&*T....

Well, that is just freaking terrifying to read. A very serious lesson to be reminded of for all of us. Range safety can't be cursory. We ain't throwing marshmallows here.

I actually make it a point to never be last man downrange. Feels a bit like snorkeling in the ocean and all of sudden all the fish are gone. :surprise:

Very, very glad you are okay.

When we shoot at our club, we make a head count and have that number before we start a shooter. If you are shooting through, we shoot you pronto, and you move out to the next bay so that there isn't a count problem. Another reason why if you are RO ing, you should be the last one and have the timer with you. Can't start without a timer.

This is a particular concern where you shoot rolling squads like we do here in Phoenix where you can't do a head count. When I RO (not that I am God's gift to ROs trust me) I do what Jimmy says. I

start at the most distant target and work my way up. Nothing is foolproof but that and a loud "range is going hot" are good procedures.

Gotta admit this still has me shaken.....

I thank God that you are OK! I like shoothouses but always worry about this type of situation happening. Hopefully, your club can use this situation in a positive way. I am sure you, the RO, and the shooter will never forget it.

Hurley

I've had bad dreams about this very thing happening at our club. We are in the process of changing all the panels over from plywood to snow fence for that very reason. Well, not just for that reason. We're also very lazy. The wall panels are now 1/3 the weight.

HOLY CRAP!!! Glad you're alright Mike. That could have turned ugly fast. Were yo able to finish the match with all that stuff in yer drawers?

All kidding aside.....glad you are alright. I know its a lesson learned for all.

There might just be a little more authenticity to my future safety briefings with new shooters. I can promise that I'll take my RO/SO responsibility seriously. Our squad finished the match with a little higher degree of formality. I posted here only to provide a reminder to me, our safety rules matter.

Well, that is just freaking terrifying to read. A very serious lesson to be reminded of for all of us. Range safety can't be cursory. We ain't throwing marshmallows here.

I actually make it a point to never be last man downrange. Feels a bit like snorkeling in the ocean and all of sudden all the fish are gone. :surprise:

Very, very glad you are okay.

When I was shooting on the 16th at Rio, I noticed one RO in particular being very careful about the stage being clear. It made me feel more comfortable resetting the far steel. (This was the stage with a group of 8 poppers far back in the left corner.)

I like the practice of the guy with the timer being the last one back.

I've almost been caught downrange at LAMR. I've also gotten as far as LAMR when RO'ing with folks downrange.

Both times, and other times I've seen it nearly get to the first shot with somebody down range, there's a blind spot in the COF. Now, when I have the timer, I always check the blind spot before starting the shooter.

And, while I KNOW it's not an official range command, I might holler "Clear the range, going hot!", to be sure.