Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Location

cyburg

Ok,

I have a Dillion 550 on the way. The question is where do I place it. Garage, large closet inside the house or the shed out back.

I am interested in where yours is located.

Edited by cyburg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok,

I have a Dillion 550 on the way. The question is where do I place it. Garage, large closet inside the house or the shed out back.

I am interested in where yours is located.

Of the locations you list, I would choose the large closet for climate control and security. I live in an apartment and currently reload in a small spare bedroom, but have used a small walk-in closet. The tight space lends itself to organization.

I have a large basement with plenty of room and no interference. :)

I voted for room inside the house but, basement would have been a good voting option.

If you live in Kansas, you most likely have a basement or wish you did when the skies turns on you. :rolleyes:

In the old place, I had it in the garage. We have little ones around and my wife didn't want gunpowder and primers in the actual house. Luckily our new house has an insulated room in the shop, so I now have a dedicated room for reloading.

002106.JPG

Corey,

I guess where I am going with this is if you have it in your house, do you have any static charge problems during the winter or moisture during the summer?

Good tip regarding static charge and moisture! :cheers:

My set up is in the basement, but wherever you plan on putting it, make sure there's plenty of space for growth. It's amazing how quickly new toys get added to the workstation. :roflol:

I would think that where you put the loading setup would depend in large part on how well insulated and/or heated is your garage or basement. In many if not most houses the garage and basement will be way too damp, or cold, or potentially too damp or cold at times, to be anything that's going to work well for reloading. Dampness, as well as cold and the dampness it can cause, do not mate well with reloading - the powder will absorb the dampness and cause you no end of problems, primarily with inconsistent charge weights.

Im using a small bedroom as my man cave, it has my safe, reloading table, "gunsmithing" table, a cabinet for ammo and holsters and spare parts, and a large wire rack for irregular items like backpacks, etc. The only concession to the rest of the inhabitants is a litter box for the cats.

Of course I make it sound like I've kicked everyone out of it, king of my domain, and all that. I reality I have slowly retreated my gear in that room against the onslaught and managed to keep up the barriers :)

In my Welding shop right next to the plasma cutter. Metal building hot, cold, damp, etc. Keep powder and primers in the Fridge.

Welding and Metal cutting are not done same time as reloading.

No burning metal with 8lb jug of powder sitting there?

just got finished remodling home, now have three bedrooms, being empty nesters, I took the smallest bedroom and turned it into mancave, reloading bench made from kitchen base cabinet with counter top, powder, brass, primers in clostet, big screen t.v., rekliner, book shelves lined with gun books, reloading book, I've wanted this forever, I'm 55 and finally got it, I'll probaly die tommorrow now :blush:

I picked up my 550 a friend is giving me until the guy that let him borrow it a few years ago ask for it back. I am looking at placing it either in the guest bedroom until my wife notices it and makes me move it.

Thanks

Steve

Garage for Me! We are in a part of Texas that balances humidity and temperature well, so I can handle those issues with a space heater or fan. Here is a shot of my garage set-up.

On a different note, I am most proud of my Hornady Pro7 progressive. Not because it is the best press, but a friend gave it to me, Hornady did a fabulous job of converting it and I rebuilt and refurbished it. Also, the primer tubes are no longer available for this unit and I designed and had machined an aluminum receiver to accept RCBS primer tubes. It works well!

Cheers,

Kyle

post-21212-126411408966_thumb.jpg

post-21212-12641140976_thumb.jpg

post-21212-126411410511_thumb.jpg

You need an "Other" option. My loading is done out in our workshop, an old chicken house. A woodstove keeps me warm in winter and nothing keeps me cool in the summer. Garages are to keep cars in.

The bench is located 4 feet from my milling machine, and 15-20 feet from the Kubota tractor. :D

The bench is located 4 feet from my milling machine, and 15-20 feet from the Kubota tractor. :D

One would think much automation experimentation would quickly develop then. World's first diesel powered Dillon pressed should have been born by now.

26'x46' detached garage.

The Man Cave is insulated, 100,000 btu forced air, ceiling fans, cabinets, fridge and freezer. Service is to light for air but that will change this summer :cheers:

Overhead door faces south so I can raise it up and fire away, makes it great for chono work or target practice. Brass is easy to find on the concrete!

Only have to share it with the dog!

Beware of keeping your equipment in the cold, condensation is hard on press's

Mildot

I started in a basement, moved to a second floor bedroom in the next house, and finally to a first floor bedroom in the current house. On a slab is the place to be --- my presses are bolted to the same workbench that I got in the middle residence, but ammo's more consistent and there are fewer press problems, without the bench being bolted to anything. I understand that bolting the bench to wall studs works well too --- but I'd always prefer my bench to be on a slab....