Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wine and wine tastings

-JQ-

I can't drink wine. I have and it tastes OK. Not only is it not high on my taste list but I really CAN'T drink it.

My throat swells shut...allergic reaction/anaphylaxis (sp)...last few times I drank it. This isn't that big of a deal to me - I don't like it that much anyway.

What I hate is the Wine-itude that whine drinkers tend to take...if you pass on their wine they think you are snubbing them and their little berry drink and/or aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate their juice. <I might not be <_< >

Fast forward to tonight...anticipating a nice evening at a friend's for dinner...they pull a last minute "it is going to be a wine tasting evening - at a wine place - WTH?!". --- accckkk.

I don't drink that much anyway. If I do I'd rather have some of Steel1212's bourbon or a nice gin...ultra fine tequila being my preferred drink...which is more than I can afford so it all works out nicely...and being a cheap date and WAY out of "drinking shape" even a single shot is enough...but a whole evening of guffawing over their berry juice ?!

But tonight...maybe I'll lie and tell them I'm an AA member - it is easier than the truth....

<rant off>

Allergic works for me.

My thing is tomatoes. I like just about everything that is made from them ('cept clam juice ;) )...but I don't like eating tomatoes.

Of course, that is a hassle at any sandwich joint. It's a struggle to get them to "hold the tomatoes".

I go with the allergic thing...to help them remember. Sometimes though, I tell them I haven't ate a tomatoes since "the accident". [what accident?] When we got hit by a semi truck full of tomatoes and my twin brother died.

Of course, you could have fun with them. Pretend to take a sip...then, make a bid deal and profess how awful it is.

Ask for ice cubes.

Can I get'a splash of Coke in here?

This would go great with some Pringles! (maybe pork rinds)

Oh...look up a bunch of jokes about France. American wine drinkers love to talk about France.

As my family and friends have come to learn, if I don't like it I'm not eating or drinking it. No debate. Oh, and if you take something I don't like (Mayonaise) and mix it with 10 things I don't like........ I STILL DON'T LIKE IT!!!! No faking it with me, tell 'em like it is and enjoy your meal.... :cheers:

Edited by NoSteel

I actually enjoy some wine. Not much of a drinker myself either... but I like a couple glasses here and there. Beer bloats me like crazy and I'm not really into the hard stuff.

Funny thing about wine tasting people. I went with my wife to a local wine store for a wine tasking. Some people were just so in love with themselves I wanted to puke... but there are plenty of normal people too. Now not knowing what proper protocol is.. I saw one woman that just annoyed the crap out of me. Everytime you sampled a wine you rinced out the glass with water... well this woman shook the glass so her water was going everywhere... floor, etc.

Flex- I too love everything made with tomotoes.. but just hate raw tomatoes- I think it a texture thing too. My son has a food allergy to tomatoes.. unbelievable.

It's perfectly OK to mention that you have an allergy to it. Allergies are everywhere and pretty much everyone knows the meaning of the word.

I have a problem with grapefruit and grapefruit juice. And it's too bad, too, as I love the stuff. But it slams my throat and breathing tubes shut and I've had three life-threatening choking incidents with this fruit/juice and that's enough for me. I just stay away from it. I mean, what do you do when you find you can't breathe in OR out and your life is passing before your mental eyes and you're wondering what the people around you are goin to do if you collapse....... :unsure: Scary stuff.

The allergy is the perfect alibi. Wish I could say that.

I HATE HATE HATE raw cheese, have a "quesophobia", but can hot handle pizza etc.

I usually advise of a cheese allergy and people quit bugging me.

If you tell 'em that you don't like something it only makes them want to convince you.

Stay strong!

Hey Flex! Growing up, I never cared for tomatoes at all. I always loved catchup and spaghetti sauce and all that other stuff. (except Clam Juice!!!)

But, then......I read somewhere that tomatoes were actually a fruit and not a vegetable. This claim was based on the fact that the seeds were "inside" and some other scientific reasons, I can't recall exactly. Anyway, I had always wanted to like tomatoes, for some reason I just couldn't. But, when I found out they were more like berries than veggies, I began to taste and finally to enjoy eating them. Now I like them, right from the garden even.

Weird...I would have never dreamed that I was caught up in the vicious cycle of vegetable prejudice.

Flex.....Please!.....let it go man! The veggies don't hate you. Why you acting this way? :unsure:

I don't drink that much anyway. If I do I'd rather have some of Steel1212's bourbon

Your gonna have to tell me the next time you come down and I'll break out the good stuff....maybe BITB?!?!?

But yeah I keep trying wine....keep not liking it. We shoot shotgun, sporting clays, at elk creek and they always want to go up to the winery. I just bring my flask :roflol:

Of course, you could have fun with them. Pretend to take a sip...then, make a bid deal and profess how awful it is.

Ask for ice cubes.

Oh...look up a bunch of jokes about France. American wine drinkers love to talk about France.

Flex-don't even mention ice cubes around wine!!

It seems that ice cubes and red wine kind of go together with Italians.. at least the Italian duck hunter garbage men I know.. Dad drank his red for years with a couple ice cubes.. and even today while at the trailer socializing, two hunting friends of mine were drinking some vino with cubes before their afternoon nap.. it's not proper, but if it's what you like, well, what can you tell em? ;)

Personally I hate Cabs and Chards but have a liking for Pinots and Merlots.. and I absolutely love a good port or dessert wine.. eh.. to each their own..

I also pull the allergy thing on a lot of things... Fresh fruits and veggies, raw egg yolks, and all nuts exceot peanuts, cashews, almonds, and hazelnuts. When I order sandwiches or burgers.. it's always sans all that salad stuff... and I hate that I can't :P

Ask for ice cubes.

Flex, man you are crackin me up!

I worked in the bar at a 5 star hotel. I loved the wine we had access to. The different growing regions, types of grapes, the classic vineyards and the upstart wineries, all fascinating. I think it's kinda like this forum, So people dabble and enjoy, some people are REALLY into it. The one thing I hated about it was the attitude that a lot of people in that world have. I liked teaching people about it, if they were interested, but I would always stress that personal taste was the most important thing. I told people not to listen to the 'experts' that tell you so and so wine is good and this one is not. Try them. If you like it, it is good wine. Knowledge can give you an educated guess as to what a certain wine will taste like, but the only real test is your own taste.

Unfortunately I've seen that same 'expert' attitude in other areas too.