Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The attitude of people towards guns

Sarge

I hate posting in the hate forum. :ph34r: Threads are doomed to be closed. But there is nowhere else to post it. Today was a very trying day indeed.

Today, during my trials and tribulations of shipping a gun I had the opportunity to visit UPS, FEDEX and the post office.

UPS- I walk in and do everything by the book. Sealed box with strapping tape. When I mention I want to ship a gun the counter lady says, "ooh Yuck, let me get somebody else to help you" :surprise: . When "somebody else" comes out they ask me to put the box on the scale because they don't want to touch it.

FEDEX- Again, everything by the book. Sealed box with strapping tape. I quietly mention to the clerk that I wanted to ship a firearm. A woman is next to me at the counter packing a box to ship. Upon hearing me she picks up all her stuff and moves to the very end of the counter away from me! :wacko:

Post office- I don't even take the gun in for obvious reasons. I ask a clerk about shipping a firearm. She says, "you can't ship a firearm" I said that I knew that but was just trying to find out what it would cost for an FFL holder to ship a handgun, ballpark figure. She says to wait a minute. Out comes the manager. He starts with, "What do you want to do?" I tell him nothing, I am just seeking information. He asks me to leave the building or he will report me to the authorities! :surprise:

I never realized the extent of gun phobia until today. I can not believe the way people in general perceive guns in this country! I can't wait for winter to be over so I can spend my weekends with more sensible people like you all! :cheers:

Kevin, UPS picks up daily at my work, so I never even speak to a clerk or even a driver .... I just seal up the box, put the appropriate Next Day Air sticker on it, and set it by the backdoor. I get the bill from my work about 2-3 weeks later. :rolleyes:

(Anytime you need to ship something, and dont want to go through all that hassle ..... let me know)

I try and not ship "firearms" but "precision hole punchers" or "high velocity hole punchers" instead. ;)

Right. lol :roflol:

I think that when people hear gun, they get scared. They have probably never been raised around guns so they don't know anything about guns. Probably the first thing that pops up in their head is the freak accidents that have happened with guns. The bottom line is that they don't know the term "gun".

Just my $.02.

Preface I wasn't packing at the time.

I was picking up a Pizza and the little girl was being rude to me, so when I gave her my credit card she asked for my ID. So I handed her my CHL card, her eyes got big a saucers and her attitude changed and I became Sir, so in some instances it is a good thing.

Here in TX at the local Fed Ex I received a fairly good reception. I had not sealed the box, not knowing the policies, and in declaring the contents the lady helping me asked if she could see the gun. She made it clear she was not checking for FedEx policy, she was interested in guns. After that she wanted to hold it, dry fire it and show it to here co workers.

UPS on the other hand gave me some grief the other day telling me I needed the FFL # of the manufacturer, to ship to a manufacturer. I answer "not required" and waited for the awkward pause to end. The transaction then continued without further incident.

Most of the gun related alienation comes from a lack of education and understanding.

For some reason, the local UPS drivers completely ignore Signature Required and most often deliver my packages to the family-run Flower store across the street. Okay, I am James Flowers at 124 and they are J____'s Flowers at 123 so I can forgive the confusing. The lady who runs the Flower shop is cool with it and just calls the house when she opens a box and realize it ain't roses. Her daughter has a collection of pictures of her all dolled up posing with a number of my firearms that have been delivered to the Flower Shop.

I think the further away from big cities the better the attitudes.

Try a different UPS if you can. I tried to ship a pistol in a box that I had received ammo in. I pulled off the ORM-D sticker, but it was marked somehow that I didn't see. Since guns go next day air and ORM-D can't, it was in the wrong box.

The UPS lady provided me with a box and we unwrapped and repackaged everything right there. I don't think she is a firearm fan or anything. Just someone trying to do their job, and provide decent customer service. When I generate the label I always just type firearm, the only response I get is "that is going to be expensive to ship". I live in Minneapolis/Saint Paul and I do drive a bit to NOT go to the one right in the cities.

Being friendly can help sometimes but if its a crazy, tree hugging, veggie eatin, not God fearing, brainwashed, unintelligent, spineless, liberal go down the street to different place. I had no problems at UPS West Carrollton and Fedex Miamisburg although older lady there wrinkles her nose.

PS I get reactions like that every other time I mention my hobby.Too bad for them.

I hate this phenomenon also. I have lived in many places around the country and found it is certainly a regional thing. I seldom encounter this where i live now.

I'm just a bit north of you (Micanopy, FL), and I don't have this issue either. Must be a regional thing.

He asks me to leave the building or he will report me to the authorities! :surprise:

Please call the authorities...'cause you people are illegally stupid. I hate the usps most of all of them.

Like you I pack it appropriately and "don't ask don't tell" while always staying within THE rules. At ups main hub, I was shipping HG "for repairs" to "GGI" no need to explain the companies initials to them. Meanwhile the next guy was trying to ship a black powder rifle and was going through the ringer (I don't think black powder is even deemed at "firearm")...I just kept my mouth shut and smiled at the lady behind the counter...they really don't want to know.

Sometimes it comes up when I discuss insurance tho... <_<

Here's a tip.

A UPS account online only takes a credit card. Then you are beholden to NO ONE and can pack your box and print your label at your discretion. Pack your box and drop it off with a driver or the hub. You're NOT supposed to use the UPS stores for gun drop offs, but I do.

They NEVER ask whats in the box. Its labeled, packed, and anonymous. Please add it to your outgoing.

Thank you.

End of story.

Edited by Seth