Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Quit Skoal after 20 years!

NovaShooter

That is right 20 years and I quit on New Years eve at 1145 hours. Over the past 20 years I've quit for a total of 17 months but always started back up. This is for real!!

Last Monday my 7 year old daughter and I are flipping through the channels and we come across a Health / Life show. They are interviewing a guy that had half of his jaw and face removed. After watching it for a few minutes my daughter realizes that his Copenhagen thing is the same as my Skoal thing (she calls it yuckies). She then looks up at me and says, "daddy you might want to quit because you could lose your face or maybe even die and I don't want that".

Needless to say that is all it took. The first 72 hours were tough and in order to combat the craving I did 2 a days Crossfit style. Also, at a can a day at $4.65 / can that is a lot of money saved!!!!!

I do know that I am a Skoal addict and I can never take another dip again. Each time I quit in the past I always took one from a friend thinking I can do it just once. It never failed, I was at 7-11 within ten minutes!!!!

Jayson

first congrats on your decision,,no luck needed just determination and I think you have it,,I am 62 and I quit smoking in 1982 for the 3rd time never looked back,,keep it up,, :roflol::roflol:

Congrats. I have been off the stuff for 4 years now. For me one of the hardest things to do was to break the oral fixation.

I used shredded coconut for a month or two by then I was over the nicotine addiction, so stopping the coconut was easy.

I quit a can a day Cope habbit a number of years ago now and i still have cravings. I really enjoyed cramming a glob of that stuff in my mouth. I went on the patch but kept forgetting to put the dumb thing on. So i just said screw it, i dont need it. For me it was all mental. The only bad thing was my favorite time to chew was while reading. I use to read a book every couple of days. Since i've quit i haven't picked up one single book.

Congrats. I've got the Kodiak claws in way too deep. Not quite a can a day, but a can every 2-3 days. I've tried to quit several times, but I throw one in every time I sit down and do homework. Keeps the mind focused (so I think). I'm hoping to quit in early may when I graduate and get into the real world and can't throw a dip in, in the office. Quitting now wouldn't go over well with being my last semester. Again congrats and keep with it. I know how hard it can be.

Jayson, That is real good news. You will be better off without it.

I was a longtime smoker and always wanted to quit, but never made the effort. In 2007 I was going on a cross country motorcycle trip and didn't want to stop for a smoke every hour so I started dipping to try to kick the smokes and get across the country faster. I told myself that I would use snuff no longer than one year and I gave it up cold turkey in early 2008. Quitting the dip was very hard for me because I really enjoyed it, but I was motivated to leave it behind.

There are still times that I would like to have a dip, like at an outdoor match, but I just tell myself that I have the habit beat and that it will do me no good and I just move on to something else.

Hang in there, Bro. I will see you on the range.

Tim

Most important thing is to get to a dentist and have them check over your teeth and gums and get all the crap out inbetween them.

You would be surprised by how much crap they will dig out of there. I have not been able to quit for longer than a month or so but each time I have quit I have gone to the dentist and had them pick out all that left over crap. Congrats on quiting and keep it up.

Quitting, hmmm...... I have stopped using Copenhagen 3 times, first time for 1 1/2 years, then 9 months, and finally 3 months. The last time was over 3 years ago. It got harder each time. I seem to be pretty good at stopping. Quitting is something I haven't mastered yet. Good job to you and I hope you keep it up. I am to the point now that the years are starting to really add up, I shudder at the thought of all that money I've spent on smokeless tobacco!

Way to go Dude! After dipping Cope for 20 years I finally made my mind up to quit. And did for over a year. Sunflower seeds helped me alot with the oral fixation. Thought I could take a dip occasionally. Wrong! Dippers are like alcoholics. You can't dip or chew just a little. You have to be over it for good. I am about to attempt it again. I know I can I just have to get the brain wrapped around it! Just remember, YOU are stronger than any addiction! Proud 4 You.