Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to shoot 3 gun and what should I expect

First off, welcome to the forums! :cheers:

Second, I think about the only thing you can be reasonably assured of is to expect it to be expensive. :surprise: Especially at the start if you have absolutely zero equipment.

Third, and this is just me with my personal opinion coming from the very few 3 gun matches and rifle/shotgun side matches that I have shot is that the vagueness you specifically mentioned is because there is really NO one overall umbrella organization for all 3-gun/multigun. There are several, USPSA being just one of them. I will let other posters comment on those other organizations and possibly where to find their websites and rulebooks. Since there is NO one "mothership" organization, probably in a lot of different locales there tends to be "outlaw" matches. The match director has come up with his own set of rules for his match. Maybe... just maybe ...the MD decided to cherry pick the best of the other organizations rules and scoring methods to put on his hybrid match.

Fourth, there is a lot of work putting a 3 gun/multigun match. So they tend to be harder to find and less frequent.

Fifth, 3-gun/multigun takes up longer or bigger range bays. Again, not too many facilities have say 400 yard ranges.

Lastly, welcome to the forums again. Expect to have fun and get hooked on an adrenaline rush. :devil:

First off, welcome to the forums! :cheers:

Second, I think about the only thing you can be reasonably assured of is to expect it to be expensive. :surprise: Especially at the start if you have absolutely zero equipment.

Third, and this is just me with my personal opinion coming from the very few 3 gun matches and rifle/shotgun side matches that I have shot is that the vagueness you specifically mentioned is because there is really NO one overall umbrella organization for all 3-gun/multigun. There are several, USPSA being just one of them. I will let other posters comment on those other organizations and possibly where to find their websites and rulebooks. Since there is NO one "mothership" organization, probably in a lot of different locales there tends to be "outlaw" matches. The match director has come up with his own set of rules for his match. Maybe... just maybe ...the MD decided to cherry pick the best of the other organizations rules and scoring methods to put on his hybrid match.

Fourth, there is a lot of work putting a 3 gun/multigun match. So they tend to be harder to find and less frequent.

Fifth, 3-gun/multigun takes up longer or bigger range bays. Again, not too many facilities have say 400 yard ranges.

Lastly, welcome to the forums again. Expect to have fun and get hooked on an adrenaline rush. :devil:

Thank You appreciate that I've had some pretty extensive adrenaline rush's in my time hope it's all I expect.

I have never been into motorcycles...crotch rockets, but I have jumped out of planes and rappelled out of helicopters, and shooting matches is about the most fun and most rush-ful you can have legally with your clothes on. ;)

Welcome to the Forums and the addiction of 3gun!

If your shooting experience includes any USPSA, SASS or IDPA competition, 3gun will be similar. Most of G-Man Bart's post in the link above was pistol oriented, but also applies to the rifle and shotgun. Bring plenty of ammo for all guns. Once you find a match, look over the round counts for that match so you can bring enough of the required types of shotgun shells and a way to carry extras.

Be prepared to lay your rifle/pistol/shotgun on a table, in a box or in a plastic garbage can as stages dictate. If you have a beautiful, safe queen shotgun that you want to stay pristene, don't shoot 3gun with it. You will get a few minor "character marks" on guns that are used in matches (not that anyone is asking that you abuse them, but they do get used).

You can expect it to be safe and the people to be helpful and friendly. Wear comfortable clothes that you do not mind laying in the dirt in (you will usually go prone with at least one of your long guns at some point).

I hope that I have not scared you off, as it is tons of fun and there are some really good people in the sport :cheers:

Hurley

I shot my first 2-gun (rifle/pistol) match Sunday. I still can't get the Sh--eating grin off my face. Finished mid-pack on my first match!

Free-float tube is being installed this week, comp, grip... trigger next month... Yeah, I'm hooked!

Jeff

It is a little hard to prepare you as matches differ quite a bit.

You may want to watch a match first.

First of all be safe. Learn muzzle control and awareness. Master the 180 degree safety line. This is really lacking among many U.S. 3 gunners, particularly newbies and those from a tactical background. There is no 180 in the real world but there sure is in a match. So keep that muzzle downrange, especially while moving!

Second, 3 gun is heavily focused on gun maniupaltion. Master loading and unloading your 3 guns. Really practice loading your shotgun. This is a time killer where newer shooters really suffer.

And ZERO you rifle! Once it is zeroed, zero it again. Then work on the various rifle positions and dealing with barricades and props.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

- Use a Kydex / plastic holster.

- Run guns that run - a gun that turns into a single shot gun halfway through a stage is a lot less fun.

- Shoot the guns you enjoy shooting. That’s probably why you're going to the match anyway.

- Go easy and get your hits. It's more fun than rushing and missing or worse - being sent home.

- If you can't hit it move on. Decide how many rounds your going to commit to a target and if they don't connect, don't waste your time. This is usually on long range steel.

Multigun is harder so remember to have fun - that’s probably why your there.

3 Gun - It was once described as the dry land equivalent of offshore professional Power Boat racing. . . .At the end of the day all you have is really cool toys and the only thing to show for all of that money is that you made a lot of noise.

Helpful hint #1 find some one to walk you through a local match. . . . Go to the local match director and tell him "I want to Play” ask for help, ask for an experienced shooter to walk you through the match. They will not turn you away (every club always wants new blood. . . I mean shooters)

Helpful Hint #2 throw away the fancypants tactibitchen death ninja catalog. If you don't have all of your gear yet . . .go to a few matches borrow a buddies gear and look at what works and what does not. . . nothing more humbling than a high $$$$ Ar that goes Bolt action on a long stage or a forend that cost $400 that is too hot to touch and always acts like a 4 sided cheese grater!!!

Helpful hint #3 ask questions of your squad mates. Why did they choose that option? Why do you prefer that model? . . . Can I try it out?????? Please be carful with this. . There are no stupid questions. . But there are inquisitive idiots

Helpful hint #4 You aren’t going to win the first day out so have fun. Bring sun screen, food and lots of water. If you only shoot 5-6 stages well that’s not all that though is it?

Yeah reset those same 5-6 stages 6-12 times each and it can become a very long day. . . I've seen the best out there crash and burn after 6-7 hours in the sun. . . Look every body can't be there perky little selves all day so take a deep breath and roll with it . . . it's not personal

Helpful Hint #5 only use, buy and acquire gear that looks better with a few dings and range dust crammed in to all of the nooks and crannies. I had just had my new Benelli M2 finished to the exact specs I had asked for by DMW. . .first time on the range and it was a very blustery day . .the wind picked up the table I had staged my gun on and dumped it into the gravel. . My pistol, Rifle and shotgun wear each and every scar with pride. . I have a shadow box of broken race parts for my 3 gun gear. . .

Helpful hint #6 some times we shoot in slightly inclement weather, if you have qualms about setting a gun down on a damp table and picking up a rifle with a scope full of water and running as fast as you dare to the next shooting box . . . take up video gaming (you can't do that out side . . you'll be safe indoors.)

(ahh yes I have fond memories of Mike Gibbson telling the assembled group 6am on a bad looking day "If it starts raining . . . Keep shooting . . . if it starts to really rain hard KEEP SHOOTING FASTER.")

Helpful hint #7 if you really take 3 gun seriously you will end up sunburned, soaked, muddy, bloody and Broke $$$. . .and nothing (With most of your clothes on) Nothing will ever compare to the look on the face of your milqtost brother in law watching the video of you sliding down a 300 yard zip line with a loaded gun gently blasting away at targets left & right during a major match.

Pay off #1 sitting around at sun set with all your gear stowed, sipping a frosty beverage BSing with the boys (and if your lucky) girls after a match. . .if you listen carefully & quietly . . . now is when you will learn the most.

My name is Tim

I shoot 3 Gun

I admit I have a problem.

Stick to things like crack and heroin. They are cheaper and less addictive. If you don't go in for those then welcome to the wonderful world of 3 gun!!!! oh yeah, man up and shoot irons.

J-Ho

edited cuz I caint spell

Edited by J-Ho

most of what you have read here is pure BS?????????? i'm not going to tell you which is which :roflol:

Just know that reliable gear is worth more than anything else, next is practice, followed by honest advice, and lastly more practice.

Expect more honest and helpful people than you thought actually existed, and do not be afraid to ask ANYONE for advice, or why they do what they do. Everyone I've met has been genuine, even the genuine idiots, but hey some people say I fall into that category sometimes. :rolleyes:

There is a wealth of info here on the forum, try searches first, sometimes it can be hard to get the info you want with them. But its out there, if you can't find it then ask the family (us).

welcome, and good luck!!!! :cheers:

Trapr

3 Gun - It was once described as the dry land equivalent of offshore professional Power Boat racing. . . .At the end of the day all you have is really cool toys and the only thing to show for all of that money is that you made a lot of noise.

Helpful hint #1 find some one to walk you through a local match. . . . Go to the local match director and tell him "I want to Play” ask for help, ask for an experienced shooter to walk you through the match. They will not turn you away (every club always wants new blood. . . I mean shooters)

Helpful Hint #2 throw away the fancypants tactibitchen death ninja catalog. If you don't have all of your gear yet . . .go to a few matches borrow a buddies gear and look at what works and what does not. . . nothing more humbling than a high $$$$ Ar that goes Bolt action on a long stage or a forend that cost $400 that is too hot to touch and always acts like a 4 sided cheese grater!!!

Helpful hint #3 ask questions of your squad mates. Why did they choose that option? Why do you prefer that model? . . . Can I try it out?????? Please be carful with this. . There are no stupid questions. . But there are inquisitive idiots

Helpful hint #4 You aren’t going to win the first day out so have fun. Bring sun screen, food and lots of water. If you only shoot 5-6 stages well that’s not all that though is it?

Yeah reset those same 5-6 stages 6-12 times each and it can become a very long day. . . I've seen the best out there crash and burn after 6-7 hours in the sun. . . Look every body can't be there perky little selves all day so take a deep breath and roll with it . . . it's not personal

Helpful Hint #5 only use, buy and acquire gear that looks better with a few dings and range dust crammed in to all of the nooks and crannies. I had just had my new Benelli M2 finished to the exact specs I had asked for by DMW. . .first time on the range and it was a very blustery day . .the wind picked up the table I had staged my gun on and dumped it into the gravel. . My pistol, Rifle and shotgun wear each and every scar with pride. . I have a shadow box of broken race parts for my 3 gun gear. . .

Helpful hint #6 some times we shoot in slightly inclement weather, if you have qualms about setting a gun down on a damp table and picking up a rifle with a scope full of water and running as fast as you dare to the next shooting box . . . take up video gaming (you can't do that out side . . you'll be safe indoors.)

(ahh yes I have fond memories of Mike Gibbson telling the assembled group 6am on a bad looking day "If it starts raining . . . Keep shooting . . . if it starts to really rain hard KEEP SHOOTING FASTER.")

Helpful hint #7 if you really take 3 gun seriously you will end up sunburned, soaked, muddy, bloody and Broke $$$. . .and nothing (With most of your clothes on) Nothing will ever compare to the look on the face of your milqtost brother in law watching the video of you sliding down a 300 yard zip line with a loaded gun gently blasting away at targets left & right during a major match.

Pay off #1 sitting around at sun set with all your gear stowed, sipping a frosty beverage BSing with the boys (and if your lucky) girls after a match. . .if you listen carefully & quietly . . . now is when you will learn the most.

My name is Tim

I shoot 3 Gun

I admit I have a problem.

Tim,

Could not have described it any better!!!

GREAT POST!

Stick to things like crack and heroin. They are cheaper and less addictive. If you don't go in for those then welcome to the wonderful world of 3 gun!!!! oh yeah, man up and shoot irons.

J-Ho

edited cuz I caint spell

Yup... 'cept for the irons part!!!!

Jeff

Of all the sports I have played in ...3gun is the most exciting :cheers:

And if you know what Jim has done in the past, that is saying a LOT.

Expect to have a ton of fun, learn a lot, meet some of the best people ANYWHERE and get hooked. I'd second that "watch a match" recomendation as well, espcially if you have not shot USPSA or IDPA before.

WELCOME, hope to meet you on the range!

Helpful hint #8 - do NOT use a standard plastic kydex holster. Use something with at lease one level of positive retension, like a Blackhawk Sherpa.

Reasoning; I have seen more dropped pistols from kydex holsters than anything else IN 3 GUN. If you insist on using one, make sure you crank it down lots more than for a pistol match. If you don't, you will drop it in the heat of the battle while shooting your shotgun or rifle, espcially if you go prone...

2nd reason; punching a retension lever will not make or break a stage or match. A 10th of a second savings is not worth it.

jj

First things first, find a match. There aren't a lot of places that hold regular local matches so you may have to travel to shoot. Once you find a match ask to see/try every gun and piece of gear you see. I have shot 4 matches since I started 3 gunning last August. I have bought and sold more guns and gear than I care to think about because I was trying to figure out what I liked and if what I liked fit my shooting style. Most people love to show off their prized rifle, pistol, or shotgun. You didn't fill out your location so if your anywhere near OKC bring some ammo and I'll let you shoot everything I have. It wasn't long ago that I was in yoru postion so I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have just send me a PM.

These guys were right, you will become addicted to this sport!!!

Edited by jtischauser

I always say "run what ya got" until you have fired in a couple matches.

Essentials:

A semi-auto rifle that works. Zero it, and know where it hits from point blank to whatever distance the match has. Have several mags that you know work, and a way to carry one or two on your body. Know how to cleanly load, unload, and fix a stoppage. And if all you can come up with is an M-1 Carbine, do not let that stop you. And if you have access to an M-1 Rifle, well, cool points to you;

A pistol that works with a strong side holster. Zero it for point blank to 30 yards. Have several mags that you know work, and a way to have at least two on your body (more if it is a single stack). Know how to cleanly load, unload, and fix a stoppage;

A shotgun that works. Confirm where it is putting the shot cloud and slugs. Managed recoil ammo is a good idea. Know how to load it from whatever you have and be able to do it while walking. If your feet are moving, you should prbably be stuffing more shells into it - Seventeen rounds is fairly common for a stage. You don't need a semi-auto - a double with automatic ejectors will get you into the match just fine, but do know how to feed whatever you have quick and clean.

Once you do this a couple times, you will start to figure out what class you want to compete in, which type of gear appeals to you, etc.

Forget speed, be safe and get your hits!

Billski

Helpful hint #8 - do NOT use a standard plastic kydex holster. Use something with at lease one level of positive retension, like a Blackhawk Sherpa.

Reasoning; I have seen more dropped pistols from kydex holsters than anything else IN 3 GUN. If you insist on using one, make sure you crank it down lots more than for a pistol match. If you don't, you will drop it in the heat of the battle while shooting your shotgun or rifle, espcially if you go prone...

2nd reason; punching a retension lever will not make or break a stage or match. A 10th of a second savings is not worth it.

jj

I agree - a Serpa is better than plastic w/o retention. Correct me if I'm wrong but the point we're trying to make is you really don't want one of those minimalist little blocks of aluminum that barely pinch the trigger guard and spit the gun [usually loaded] out onto the ground in front of you seemingly on it's own accord. It seems to happen at least once at nearly every major MG match I've worked - and I've been at more than a few. I would think those little excises for a holster would be outlawed by now but they still show up and some of their owners get sent home - which sucks.

My $.02 worth,

EJ

A lot of good advice here. Not a lot of chest thumping either. Must be the Christmas Spirit! Ha!

I also thought this was the most fun you could have with your clothes on, until I took up motorcycles this year! Now, I still think 3 gun is the most fun, with 2 wheel motorized death running a VERY close second. Now, if I could find a way to pack all that 3 gun gear to a match on my motorcycle! It would make a really cool range cart, too.

Welcome to the sport! I know you'll have loads of fun, AND be much poorer!