Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best match worth travling too?

I went to the Nationals this year. Other than meeting the people on my squad, it wasn't too exciting. I probably won't go back unless the wife wants an excuse to go to Vegas.

I started to wonder which matches are worthy of my time and travel dollar. So, my question is, which match is the best? Tell me why? What makes it worthy? Keep it in the USA.

Criteria can include, but not limited to: cool stages, round count, location, weather, attendance, ease of travel, themes, or prize table.

I went to the Nationals this year. Other than meeting the people on my squad, it wasn't too exciting. I probably won't go back unless the wife wants an excuse to go to Vegas.

I started to wonder which matches are worthy of my time and travel dollar. So, my question is, which match is the best? Tell me why? What makes it worthy? Keep it in the USA.

Criteria can include, but not limited to: cool stages, round count, location, weather, attendance, ease of travel, themes, or prize table.

I'm in the same boat as you. I like to travel to shoot, and wanted to get in one "must do" match. I've decided on the Double Tap Championship. The stages always look good in the videos, and being in IL, TX seem a lot better in march than home.

Plus it's the Flintstones in 2010. Yabba Dabba Doo!!! :D

In years past, my answer would have been the "Summer Blast" of course, but alas the bestest and funnest match of the year, which Larry conveniently relocated closer to me half-way through its lifespan is no more.....

Seriously --- I'd try any area match or any sectional run by people you know and like. (I drove out to the Buckeye Blast a few years ago, largely to meet a bunch of Ohio Benosverse folks --- and had a really good time....)

Oh, and if you ever hear that Larry Houck's running a match, put that on your "Must" list.....

My vote goes for Area 2 at Rio Salado. Been there twice and hope to be there next year.

I also went to the Nationals this year and can agree with you that other than shooting with my squad, the match wasn't what I expected.

I think the Desert Classic Area 2 that Big Guy mentioned is it. Mesa is a great town plenty of places to shop there and in Scottsdale, the range is superb and the whole set up is just somehow perfect for shooting. Scenery, stages, people, pacing of the match, quality of RO's. Great places to eat, also. On the east coast, the Florida Open is great match, especially if you combine it with a vacation around it. Not as many close by places like in Mesa, but Orlando really close.

Either the Area 8 or VA/MD sectional if run in Fredericksburg, or for that matter most of the monthly matches run at Fredericksburg. About the only thing on your list I saw as not being great is the weather, summer humidity and heat can be brutal.

Area 8 has BY FAR been the most consistently well run match, with excellent stages, excellent ROs, very good shooters, and an overall rock solid good match.

Doesn't seem to get as much buzz as some of the other matches, but it is always the first one I look for.

I've never shot well at one, though. (?)

FY42385

The Gator very well organized good stages and good people and the best prize table. My personal pick for best match.

I did the Nationals as well, and was not impressed. I didn't see anyone smile till it was over. I had not been to Vegas since 83 maybe I will wait another 25 years to go.

Area 8 in Fredericksburg VA. You can see some Video at http://www.sashooter.com in the Gallery. Very nice range, good stages, prize table is ok. Laid back easy going.

Texas State Limited - when they have it.

Double Tap. As Porter says Golly Gee its a great match. The weather can be good one day and intolerable the next, just be prepared for anything, shorts and long johns, keep them handy it can change in a hour. Stages are open, fast, furious and original all prizes are by random draw and must be present to win.

Space City Challenge - Good match.

Another vote for Double Tap. Though it is easier for me to get there than you. However, if I picked just one out of town match to go to in a year it would hands down be Double Tap. Best stages of any other match I've shot. (PC Comment: Many other matches have really good stages too).

Double Tap is the only place I've shot a dark house lit by (tiki torches, black lights), swinging heavy hard cover, swinging slider target, double overlapping pre-spinning texas stars, and other things I have mentally blocked out. :cheers:

Chris

Having been on the staff of both the VA/ MD Section match and A8, I'm pretty biased, but they were very good matches to shoot last year.

If you just want a solid day match worth the travel, Sir Walter Gun Clubs' monthly is as good if not better than a number of name brand matches I've shot.

S.

A2. Yeah, I know I live here but still probably the best event I have shot. Not to mention the almost absolute certainty of being able to shoot in great weather. An amazingly well set up stage under 4 inches of mud is survived but rarely enjoyed. (Maybe I am just a wuss.....)

I'd go along with pretty much everything folks have added so far and add one for consideration. I've shot most of the mentioned matches at least once in the last couple of years. The up and comer that I would add is the High Desert Classic in Albuquerque. It's run extremely well, has outstanding stages, great people, ease of access, inexpensive town to visit and normally really nice weather. The weather this year was windy with a sandstorm on Sat, but that isn't typical. R,

Worth traveling to is relative, of course. As the price of gasoline soars next summer, (did I say that?) matches close to home will be more desirable for me.

I'm definitely planning to attend Area 1 again next year. Tim Egan and the crew put forth the effort to host a very, very, nice match. It's all in the effort.

If I lived in Ory-gon, I would certainly put Area 1 on my calendar. I hope to see you there! -Sam

I'd go along with pretty much everything folks have added so far and add one for consideration. I've shot most of the mentioned matches at least once in the last couple of years. The up and comer that I would add is the High Desert Classic in Albuquerque. It's run extremely well, has outstanding stages, great people, ease of access, inexpensive town to visit and normally really nice weather. The weather this year was windy with a sandstorm on Sat, but that isn't typical. R,

Yep. Bart's right. I have shot it the last two years and 2010 will be the 3rd. Great match, great staff, great stages, (except for the wind) great weather, etc..

Of all the matches I shot (Area 1,3, Nats, etc.) the best and most enjoyable was the USSA ProAm. The stages where ALL fun, the competition was great. All the pros are there. You can shoot the match twice (open/limited). Oh, and the prize table was awesome!! Defintely a MUST.

I would agree here. Forgot to put it my post above.