Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Captains of Crush grippers

Lawdawg112

I'm still 1/8" away from closing the #2 with my left hand! But I can do 3 solid closes with my right, almost 4.

I like the things so much I wish I could use them daily, but that just makes me weaker. It seems like I make the most progress after two rest days.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,you sure have firm grip. :D

Close #3 with credit card set means you should be able to close #3.5 with deep set. That is reallly strong grip. :cheers:

What is a "deep set"?

Partially closing the gripper with both hands, or a bench vise or something, then closing it the rest of the way with your crushing hand alone.

I'm up to 3-4 reps of the #2 with my strong hand, but still only 1 with my other strong hand. Almost 2!

Well,you sure have firm grip. :D

Close #3 with credit card set means you should be able to close #3.5 with deep set. That is reallly strong grip. :cheers:

What is a "deep set"?

Partially closing the gripper with both hands, or a bench vise or something, then closing it the rest of the way with your crushing hand alone.

I'm up to 3-4 reps of the #2 with my strong hand, but still only 1 with my other strong hand. Almost 2!

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let me preface this post by saying I can close a #2(per IronMinds regs) and have closed a #2.5(per IronMind regs, almost back to doing it again).

I noticed some folks stating that they don't feel like all the muscle groups of their hand/forearms are getting a work out using the CoC. Thats cause of a simple fact of leverage. Same principle behind when you use a cheater bar to break a bolt loose as your pushing down or up on the END of the extended bar. With the spring up your pinky and ring finger able to use the most leverage provided by the handles thus working those two fingers. With the spring in the DOWN posistion the index and social finger are now taking advantage of the leverage provided by the handles. So by doing sets of both up and down your getting a full grip work out.

Here is how my CoC workout goes:

3 sets of 10 with the spring UP each hand, one minute rest after each set

3 sets of 10 with the spring DOWN each hand, one minute rest after each set

Take a 10 minute break

3 sets of burn outs(close the grip and squeeze till you fail) with the spring UP in each hand, one minute rest after each set

3 sets of burn outs(close the grip and squeeze till you fail) with the spring DOWN in each hand, one minute rest after each set

Trust me this work out is going to suck big time. But you will see improvements.

Oh and if you didn't notice, I don't do warm up sets.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have had the CoC's for 11 months now. I started out not being able to close the #2 at all, I was maybe 1/4" off on both sides. My training since then has been erratic at best, I have taken weeks and even months off at a time interspersed throughout the year. Even with that, I am now up to 2 honest reps with my left and 3 honest reps with my right hand, and am a hair away from another rep with both. My recoil control and neutral sight tracking is better than ever. I think grip training is a must for those using light polymer guns.

I am definitely going to keep pushing, and am not going to stop until I get a legit, certification-style close with the #3 with both hands.

Edited by DonovanM

• 2 weeks later...

CoC #2 closed with strong hand. Weak hand performance is about 1/4" from closing.

CoC2-7021.jpg

Time to start looking for a CoC #3.

After finally deciding on the #1 for my first, it arrived today. I can close it completely about 8 times in my right hand, 5 in my left. I don't really know why I'm so excited about this piece of equipment, but I can't wait to close the #2.

Do ya'll think closing a number 3 would ever be possible without being a heavy strong dude? I barely weigh 170lbs., so I'll be happy closing a #2, but I will close that one for sure one day.

Word is Bob Vogel can close a #3 with a deep set.

Another thing in a long list that makes me hate him.... :devil:

Like he is in an awesome shape with like 5% body fat? Yeah, me too.

Although the moustache he sometimes adorns... Very chicka wah wah...

That said I have a set of Ts and I am close to doing 10 of each almost closed. I may jump straight to the #1's

Edited by NicVerAZ

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a set of the CoC's on Amazon and cannot wait to start using them. I feel I have a decent amount of hand strength since my other sport of choice is rock climbing but I find climb develops more finger strength than the grip strength used in recoil management.

Just don't forget to work the reverse muscles to avoid overuse problems or injury!

Could you explain what you mean by reverse muscles?

You have one set of muscles that are used to close your hand, and another set of muscles used to open your hand. when he says "Reverse" muscles he is talking about the muscles used to open your hand.

Edited by CHA-LEE

You have one set of muscles that are used to close your hand, and another set of muscles used to open your hand. when he says "Reverse" muscles he is talking about the muscles used to open your hand.

IronMind sells a set of bands for exercising the opening of your hands.

IronMind sells a set of bands for exercising the opening of your hands.

I had a feeling that what was meant, I just didn't realize that anyone made a gripper to strengthen the opening of your hand... Thanks for the tips... I'll check them out...

So I just got a CoC trainer and #1 for Christmas. As an avid rock climber, my grip strength is decent and I know what it feels like when my forearms burn. I can close the #1 several times with either hand but it's my wrist that gives out before my grip does. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to keep at it for a while?

• 2 weeks later...

The correct terminology a doctor/coach/anatomist would use is antagonist rather than reverse.

Muscles generally have antagonist pairs, when one set contracts(flexion in this case to squeeze, ) another set will extend(extension). When you straigthen your fingers back out flexion occurs in to opposing muscles across the joint.

Agonists(typically we call these prime movers) are muscles or groups of musles that cause a specific movement in one direction across a joint.

Generally speaking, doings lots and lots of work in one direction across a joint leads to strength imbalance, which commonly leads to pain and dysfunction.

Moral of the story is, you should try and balance training load, measured in lbs/tons, across joints...

• 3 months later...

After watching Hickok45 on youtube, I realized that my recoil control needed significant work. I am used to shooting heavy loads in single action revolvers, and letting the gun roll in my hand. I recently bought a Glock model 22, and I realize that I need to significantly change my shooting technique to master the gun. I found this forum on grip improvement , and I purchased a set of heavy grips(100, 150 and 200 lbs). They arrived in the mail today, and I found that I could squeeze off 10 reps at 100 lbs with my strong ( left) hand and 8 with my right hand. Attempted 3 sets of 10 with each hand, and I couldn't fully close the left hand on the last 3 reps of the third set, and could only close the right hand for the first 3 reps of the 3rd set (the rest were partial closures). Based on what others have posted I expect some rapid initial improvement, but I'm 64 so it may not come that fast. Anyway I look forward to seeing if my recoil control improves over the next month.

Frank, my advice is to take it slow, especially at 64; I'm 30 and I over did it with the grippers right out of the box doing workouts twice a day. As soon as the tendons in my wrist started to hurt I put them down completely for a few weeks until I was 100% again. When I started again I was stronger than before. Good luck, and yes, the grip training does amazing things for recoil control.

Frank, my advice is to take it slow, especially at 64; I'm 30 and I over did it with the grippers right out of the box doing workouts twice a day. As soon as the tendons in my wrist started to hurt I put them down completely for a few weeks until I was 100% again. When I started again I was stronger than before. Good luck, and yes, the grip training does amazing things for recoil control.

+1, rest is real important. Before you start a workout, make sure you're not still sore from the previous workout.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's input. After a month of working with the grippers every other day, I have progressed to where I can perform the same number of reps with the Heavy Grip 150 as I was doing with the Heavy Grip 100. I am assuming that the heavy Grip 150 is about the sama as the CofC #1. More importantly I can feel the difference in my recoil/trigger control, and my shooting has definitely improved.

I'd been using the grippers with the individual finger springs (Gripmaster Heavy) for some time now, doing 5 sets of 50 reps with each hand while driving to/from work. Just got the COC Trainer over the weekend. Holy cow, what a difference! Just doing 3 sets of 10 with each hand to/from work now. Maybe someday I'll grow up into the big leagues like some of you guys.

• 1 month later...

I had a rude awakening, I assumed that the Heavy Grips 200 lb grip was about the same as the CofC #2. I reached the point where I could get a good workout with the 200 lb grip and I wanted to see how the CofC compared. I bought a CofC 2.5 assuming it would be a challenge, I can't even fully close it with both hands, but it does provide some exercise over the limited range that I can squeeze it.