Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro light strike issues

Sarge

I am getting a few(usually no more than 2-3)light strikes every match lately. To the best of my knowledge the primers are all being seated as far as they will go into the case. I don't see any that look high. Every round I take to a match passes case gauge. I am loading Wolf SP. I have been using them for a while with no problems to speak of. I also recently changed to moly bullets from MG. OAL is good, crimp is good at about .376. Unless somebody has any ideas relating to ammo I am leaning towards thinking it is a gun problem.

As for the gun. It is a stock Pro with the exception of a 13# ISMI uncaptured setup. I have about 3500-4000 +/- ran through it so far this year. Could the striker spring be getting tired? Could the recoil spring be wearing out? I ask this because when the gun misfires the slide seems to ever so slightly pop out of battery. Or is that normal for this pistol. I know Dan Burwell swears you should keep the M&P's stock for 100% reliability but I have ran the recoil spring setup almost all year with no problems till now.

The gun is kept pretty clean. The striker and channel are dry and clean.

Thoughts?

I'd try running the stock recoil spring.

I tried a lighter one in my Pro, along with a lighter striker spring, but, it seemed that the slide didn't want to stay closed properly so I went back to the factory parts.

Have you tried to clean the striker channel? We had a few problems with some of our duty pistols for this reason.

Just use a q-tip to clean it out and see how that works.

Edited by dcarter

Have you tried to clean the striker channel? We had a few problems with some of our duty pistols for this reason.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I clean it exactly like you suggested, with a qtip. It seems like I have done most of the easy things but just feel like I am overlooking something very simple. I will try some factory ammo then try the factory spring with my reloads to see if anything changes. Thanks Dan.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I clean it exactly like you suggested, with a qtip. It seems like I have done most of the easy things but just feel like I am overlooking something very simple. I will try some factory ammo then try the factory spring with my reloads to see if anything changes. Thanks Dan.

I have had the same problem with my M&P. I buy reloads from a local guy and I think the primers are to hard for my striker. Try using softer primers.

I had to give up using a 13lb spring in my gun because of light strikes. Seems my thumb was dragging the slide just enough to not allow it to fully go into battery and when I pulled the trigger, the slide would move forward just enough to absorb some of the strikers energy causing light strikes. I could never replicate this in practice, just at matches. I switched to a non captured flatwound 15lb spring and all things are groovy once again. This may not be the problem you are having but it was for me and the 15lb spring was the fix.

EG

I know Dan Burwell swears you should keep the M&P's stock for 100% reliability but I have ran the recoil spring setup almost all year with no problems till now.

;)

This is exactly why I do not recomend light springs, the 13# spring is barely enough to hold the slide in battery as soon as it looses a little tension it will not hold any longer and the slide will come back out of battery when the trigger bar goes over the striker plunger.

it will often show up after reloads as you release the trigger the whole way then the bar has to get past the plunger. If you pin the trigger while shooting it won't happen this is why it seems so intermittant at first.

I know Dan Burwell swears you should keep the M&P's stock for 100% reliability but I have ran the recoil spring setup almost all year with no problems till now.

;)

This is exactly why I do not recomend light springs, the 13# spring is barely enough to hold the slide in battery as soon as it looses a little tension it will not hold any longer and the slide will come back out of battery when the trigger bar goes over the striker plunger.

it will often show up after reloads as you release the trigger the whole way then the bar has to get past the plunger. If you pin the trigger while shooting it won't happen this is why it seems so intermittant at first.

Thanks Dan. That seems to make sense and I know for a fact that one of the two I had monday night were after a mag change. I'll go stock for this weekends match and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't the first thread regarding light primer strikes and I wonder if the Pro is suffering these types of problems more often than the 4" 9mm guns. I asked this before but don't think I ever got a "for sure" answer; does the standard M&P use the same striker spring as the Pro?

Also, from my own experience with the Pro, I wonder if the slide mass is really too high for the cartridge it's chambered in. My gun will barely eject and drops brass right by my feet even with fairly hot loads. It seems to me that the gun is bordering on a stovepipe with 125pf loads and I believe a lighter slide would help with this. I'm still running the factory spring in mine.

I guess I'm just venting since my gun has been an unreliable turd from the git-go. Sorry.

;)

Thanks Dan. That seems to make sense and I know for a fact that one of the two I had monday night were after a mag change. I'll go stock for this weekends match and report back.

No dice. I went stock and still had one light strike. I tightened my 550 shellplate as tight as I can get away with so I am sure it is not high primers. I guess I'll order a new striker next.

This isn't the first thread regarding light primer strikes and I wonder if the Pro is suffering these types of problems more often than the 4" 9mm guns. I asked this before but don't think I ever got a "for sure" answer; does the standard M&P use the same striker spring as the Pro?

Also, from my own experience with the Pro, I wonder if the slide mass is really too high for the cartridge it's chambered in. My gun will barely eject and drops brass right by my feet even with fairly hot loads. It seems to me that the gun is bordering on a stovepipe with 125pf loads and I believe a lighter slide would help with this. I'm still running the factory spring in mine.

The striker spring on the Pro is the same as the full size. (And IIRC, the pro slide is only about 2 tenths of an oz heavier than the full size... I sold my full size or I'd weigh them and double check.)

As far as ejecting 125pf loads, I've found the stock recoil spring to be WAY too firm for powder puff loads (it's rated at 15#, but feels more like 18!) If you change to a 13# ISMI, ejection patterns will be much better.

I went stock and still had one light strike. I tightened my 550 shellplate as tight as I can get away with so I am sure it is not high primers. I guess I'll order a new striker next.

Again, I think the striker spring is the most likely candidate as far as parts... but also the Wolf primers may be too hard.

Edited by Xfactor

I use a Glock striker spring in my Pro. It's actually a little stronger than the stock S&W part.

I also run stock recoil springs. The M&P unlocks very quickly, I feel that stock is best.

Edited by gotm4

13lb spring in Pro. (with 10,000 rounds)...

130 PF loads...

Factory striker...

Wolf SP MAGNUM primers (all I could find)... (Or Federals, WSP, Wolf, anything I've stuffed in it)

Dan's trigger...

No light strikes...

Runs like a scalded cat...

It's not the gun as a design. Maybe I just got a "good one". LOL

Jeff

Edited by JeffWard

Had the same problem and it drove me crazy, even gave up on the M&P L for last 6 months. Was running ISM non captured 13 # I had switched out to cycle my preferred handload. Buddy of mine who runs an identical M&P with the factory spring has very few problems. My M&P 9 C never had the problem either. Spent all my time on possable dirty striker channels and striker spring problems with no sucess . Since have been persuaded that my 13 lb spring was the problem.

I could not get my head around this, after all 1911's can run light springs with no problems ignition wise. It seems though the slides on M&P's & Glocks move ever so slightly when the trigger is pulled. Recoil spring too light it moves too much and causes effectively a change in headspace not allowing the firing pin to fully engage the primer. The few guys I shoot with that run Glocks and admit they are machines that can go wrong convinced me. They have had the same problem with Glocks running lighter springs.

Am going back to the M&P first of the new year, meanwhile am working on loads that will cycle properly using the factory spring. Will see.

Boats

Edited by Boats

For what it's worth S&W won't budge on just sending me a striker spring to see if it fixes it. They want the whole gun back of course. That sucks because of the time involved and second because they never really tell you what they did to fix it. Oh well.

Anyone got a line on striker springs only?

For what it's worth S&W won't budge on just sending me a striker spring to see if it fixes it. They want the whole gun back of course. That sucks because of the time involved and second because they never really tell you what they did to fix it. Oh well.

Anyone got a line on striker springs only?

Kenny at SSS sells some extra power striker springs, I believe.

They arent that big of a difference in feel from stock.

The striker spring on the Pro is the same as the full size.

I broke a striker during dryfire recently. When I called S&W I asked if the FS and PRO striker assembly share the same part number (I had a match coming up and I was going to pull the striker from my FS and put it in my PRO). The CSR looked it up on the system and told me that they were listed under different part numbers? I did the swap and the gun worked fine until the replacement came in, but i wonder why S&W has them listed as seperate numbers?

Edited by Filishooter

Hmmm. I have a striker spring coming thanks to DB. But I am just not sure. Today I had three light strikes on the same stage and no more the rest of the match. I am no detective but that seems to point to ammo and not the gun. Anyone concur?

Hmmm. I have a striker spring coming thanks to DB. But I am just not sure. Today I had three light strikes on the same stage and no more the rest of the match. I am no detective but that seems to point to ammo and not the gun. Anyone concur?

Since I didn't load them I cannot say. What is the primer and what was it loaded on? Any way you could have not had them seated the whole way?

You are back to the stock recoil spring?