Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Topping Gun Off?

C Sims

I've been trying to find the anwser in the rulebook but can't find the anwser.

In USPSA Production and Limited 10, is the shooter allowed to (after being told to load and ready) remove the mag from the gun, re-holster the gun, get a fresh mag with 10 rounds in it, remove gun from holster, insert new mag into the gun, thus having 11 rounds to start the stage with??? :unsure:

C Sims,

"load and make you ready" means exactly that: as long as you are safe (e.g. muzzle in safe direction, no trigger on finger, etc.) you are entitled to take all the necessary steps to make your gun ready for the COF.

As might have noticed, the practice you describe is quite common: insert mag in gun, rack the slide, eject mag, insert fresh one, holster.

Maybe in the end you won't need to re-holster your gun to place back in puoch the first mag and pick up a new one, but that's probably a question of preference.

Guest Larry Cazes

As a rule, I top off my Para everytime I load and make ready......You never know when you will need that 10th round and it keeps you from shooting to slide lock. It's become second nature now, but I always seat my "extra" mag, rack the slide, then apply the safety before removing the mag. If you don't apply the safety right away, you run the risk of holstering a hot gun if you forget. I don't holster the gun again until it is loaded, ready, and safed with the next full mag. As a rule, the "extra" mag with only 9 rounds in it goes into my back pocket for a rainy day, never back into a pouch. 10+1 in limited 10 has saved my butt too many times to count on stages where the first array has steel.

Larry

i have a rutine like a waggle in golf. when i hear lamr i remove the gun from the holster and insert mag one. i rack the slide thus chambering one round. i apply the safety and remove the mag from the gun and hoster. then i pull a barney round from my barney round holder, thanks to dave elderton, and insert it into the mag. once again i remove the gun from the holser and insert the mag.

this rutine allows me enough time to relax and go over my plan without taking to much time. this rutine also allows me to have two practice draws and we all know the more we practice drawing the faster we become.

Thomas,

So, you have a "waggle" when playing golf, huh? I used to have one too. It didn't do much for my game, but it certainly kept the other three guys in the flight amused - I used to think they were laughing at me doing a "Moonwalk" each time after I teed up, but apparently it was something to do with me using the ladies tee :huh:

Anyway, this reminds me of one of the many ways I use to terrorize students of RO Courses I conduct in various places, when I play "the competitor from hell", and my students take turns playing rookie RO during the "Range Simulations". On one of the 10 or so "competior from hell" scenarios I portrayed, when the rookie RO nervously said "LAMR", I'd ask him "Is it OK if I kiss my front sight for luck?".

I could fill a book with photos of the "deer in the headlights" looks I received :ph34r:

"Is it OK if I kiss my front sight for luck?"

Isn't this part of Erik Warren normal LAMR routine after the last sight breakage?

The only diffence is that he usually whispers something like "I still want to see you there when all this will be finished..."

:P:lol::D

• 8 years later...

For singlestack I have one mag set aside with only one round in it. I insert mag, rack slide, apply safety, drop empty mag, now I know the round is in chamber, seat fully loaded mag and holster. Now there is no unessary holstering and fiddling with the gun, and all movements are done with the safety applied. If shooting doublestack I use a fully loaded mag to chamber a round then apply safety, take that mag out and insert a fresh mag and holster. For production I use a mag loaded with 11 rounds, chamber 1 round and holster. If unloaded start I just put 10 rounds in that first mag.

For singlestack I have one mag set aside with only one round in it. I insert mag, rack slide, apply safety, drop empty mag, now I know the round is in chamber, seat fully loaded mag and holster. Now there is no unessary holstering and fiddling with the gun, and all movements are done with the safety applied. If shooting doublestack I use a fully loaded mag to chamber a round then apply safety, take that mag out and insert a fresh mag and holster. For production I use a mag loaded with 11 rounds, chamber 1 round and holster. If unloaded start I just put 10 rounds in that first mag.

Why does it have to be a mag with only one round. I use the last mag on my belt to barney from. It's the 6th mag and now I know it has 7 and not 8. I've never needed it anyway, but it's nice to know it's back there.

this works, but do not try to start with 11 in the mag and call it 10 and 1.

This will gain you a fresh new score in open division.

Good luck & hammer down wink.gif blue edge

Ummmmm----NO.

Appendix D4

9. Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine

after the start signal

You can have 11 rds in your "load" mag. Assuming you load the gun (1 in the chamber,

10 in the mag) before the start signal.

this works, but do not try to start with 11 in the mag and call it 10 and 1.

This will gain you a fresh new score in open division.

Good luck & hammer down wink.gif blue edge

Ummmmm----NO.

Appendix D4

9. Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine

after the start signal

You can have 11 rds in your "load" mag. Assuming you load the gun (1 in the chamber,

10 in the mag) before the start signal.

Look at the date of the quoted post. It is nine years old. That was the correct ruling at the time the post was made. You quoted the current rule book correctly. Just another problem with resurrecting an old rules thread. Carry on.

"Look at the date of the quoted post. It is nine years old. That was the correct ruling at the time the post was made. You quoted the current rule book correctly. Just another problem with resurrecting an old rules thread. Carry on."

^&%$#@*& Zombie threads. Heck---I was just glad that new content appeared to be working again

Edited by open17

Why does it have to be a mag with only one round. I use the last mag on my belt to barney from. It's the 6th mag and now I know it has 7 and not 8. I've never needed it anyway, but it's nice to know it's back there.

Bill

I use this method also, reasoning is as follows. If I insert a mag with "one" round in the gun rack the slide, drop the mag and it is empty there is only one place it can be and that is the chamber. I NEVER have to ease the slide back and check like I see a lot of guys do.

I prefer to load the gun letting the slide fly home at full speed, not easing it back and forward after I check to see if there is really a round in there. Less chance of the gun not being fully in battery, at least in my opinion.

FWIW

Mildot

"Look at the date of the quoted post. It is nine years old. That was the correct ruling at the time the post was made. You quoted the current rule book correctly. Just another problem with resurrecting an old rules thread. Carry on."

^&%$#@*& Zombie threads. Heck---I was just glad that new content appeared to be working again

Was there even regular capacity mags back then? Ewww the limited round mag years!! What a dark and terrible period in our history.