How do you force yourself to dry fire?

Cy Soto

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Improving isn't for everybody. ;)

Ouch! That must have hurt some.

FWIW- some may think that dry firing only helps the draw and reloads. I find you can work quite a bit on transistion and indexing the gun. Boring yes, but by no means limitis to just a few fundamentals. FWIW I fall into the category of doing it for 10-15min sessions when I can. It's a bit of a PITA as it takes about 5 minutes to gear up... and just hope no guests show up during the practice! LOL

Being an early riser, I dryfire in the mornings with a cup of coffee. I'm only good for about 15-20 minutes a day but I figure with component prices going up it's time well invested. I feel guilty now when I don't dryfire.

Where did you find a holster that a coffee cup would fit in?

Being an early riser, I dryfire in the mornings with a cup of coffee. I'm only good for about 15-20 minutes a day but I figure with component prices going up it's time well invested. I feel guilty now when I don't dryfire.

JC Whitney?

They seem to carry everything

JC Whitney?

They seem to carry everything

Northern tools and equipment.....they only carry "Chief" sh%t... :roflol::roflol:

Ok I'll chime in here too. I used to dryfire 45min- 1 hour 5 days a week. I first started dryfiring the IDPA classifier in its entirety.

Then made up specific drills for each day. Monday: Draws, Tuesday: Transition, Wednesday: Movement, Thursday: Barricades and Friday: Steel.

I remember telling myself there is but one way to get better, and you wanna get better right?

A couple things that help is to change your routine and drills. Limit the total time you spend each day. And reward your self by seeing your name rise in the match results.

I have since been using Airsoft for an alternative to dryfiring for about 3-4 years. And I think I get more out of the training.

It seems more realistic, effective and definitely more fun. Brings training for steel to a whole new level and even makes shooting Groups possible so you can work on those fundamentals. There are models that accurate to make this possible.

I have since been using Airsoft for an alternative to dryfiring for about 3-4 years. And I think I get more out of the training.

It seems more realistic, effective and definitely more fun. Brings training for steel to a whole new level and even makes shooting Groups possible so you can work on those fundamentals. There are models that accurate to make this possible.

Ill agree here I dont think anything has helped my steel shooting as much as shooting my airsoft gun in the back yard. The one thing I would suggest is buying black or dark colored BBs for it. I found that with the white BBs I would get distracted and started to use them like tracers.

I thought all this was just supposed to be fun? I wouldn't bother dry firing if you don't really want to.

+1 If you are having to "force" yourself to dryfire practice then there are other issues involved. If you have a burning desire for improvement , you'll "want" to dryfire.

I try and dry fire several times a week. I just leave 3 or 4 targets up in my backyard. I only do it a few minutes at a time. I think it has helped me significantly in terms of improving my accuracy. I really try and narrow my sights to a smaller and smaller area. I am also putting no-shoots on the targets which has helped a lot.

Listening to folks like Burkett and Jarrett, I am now spending time on my footwork, which I can do in my backyard. I spent this morning at the range with my .22 doing movement drills from one box to another. I wanted to get my technique down before I start with the timer.

For me the key elements were; 1)start to move after the last shot hit the steel, 2) be aware of what my feet were doing--a slow launch, 3), keep the gun up during the movement, 4) slow down entering the box and 5) making sure the gun was strongly in my vision as I enter the box and look for the target.

This drill will be an expansion of the normal draw and reload, sight picture dry fire drills.

Its simple and several people have hit it on the head here. If you don't want to do then you don't want to improve. Not doing it and still improving doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It just means your improving. Hell I made it to A class with out doing much other than shooting matches but I wanted to get better faster so I started Dryfiring a lot. I don't do what Micah does but I do what I can with what I can. I used to have the saying, "somewhere your competition is practicing" in my signature for a reason.

On the flip side if you don't really want to get better and your just shooting to have fun and that is what your getting then don't do it.....it makes my matches easier :)

Edited by steel1212

Im lucky(ish) in that I work on the road most weeks so Im in a hotel room without my family and dont hesitate to dryfire an hour or more. TV sucks so there isnt much else to do anyway. When at home I am usually spending my free time makin boolets or shooting airsoft.

I dont believe totally that if you dont want to dryfire it means you dont want to improve. There are a ton of times that I dont want to lift weights or run that day, but I do it anyway because I know that Ill be glad I did it after Im done. When you have longterm goals it makes it hard to hit each day with everything you've got consistently. Dont care about improving? Thats cool just shoot and have fun, it is a game after all. If you do want to improve, sometimes you just gotta put your head down and do what it takes.

I didnt want to dryfire until I really learned what you are trying to accomplish with dryfire specifically. When I started I thought it was just to get your draw down and learn to pull the trigger. After I did some reading(Steve Andersons book was a huge part of this) I realized what all I could improve by dryfiring and focusing on the correct parts to improve wrather than just going through the motions and thinking it useless unless lead was flying. This made all the difference to me because I dont believe in doing much of anything when I dont understand why Im doing it and what Im trying to accomplish.

If you want to improve and hate dryfiring because it seems pointless, I would suggest Steve's book if not for more than a once through. The attitude adjustment that I got from it was worth much more than what he is charging, and when applied with airsoft, the drills are just plain fun! :goof:

For me, dry fire was not on the agenda. I decided I wanted to improve and read many places that I needed to dry fire. I ordered the Steve Anderson book and got started. At first it was a grind.....drawing to a sight picture over and over again. Then the ah hah moment occured. I realized that I'm cross dominant, rt hand, left eye and I found myself drawing to the left eye with my head slightly tilted to the right. It felt so much better and natural. Last night at Tuesday Night Steel, my draw to first hit times on 3 strings were all under 1.4.......and I'm a high D shooter.

Bottom line is this. If there are no visible signs of progress from the effort.........I'll discontinue the effort.

Progress is my incentive for more effort.

Just MHO and how it's working for me.

Joe

How do you force yourself to stop?

I don't know how many times I've missed my bus, pissed off my time conscious wife and lack of sleep the next day to the phrase "okay, one more set...".

I try not to have a "schedule" it just works out that I dry fire on a semi religous basis based on my schedule. which is rite after I drop the kid off a day care while I am suppose to be getting ready to go to work. rite after work, rite before I should be picking up my kid. and again after she goes to sleep for the night, minus the timer of course. 5-7 days a week.

I always enjoyed dry firing, especially dry drawing. But, I enjoy the feeling that comes with perfecting repetitive moments. Some people don't have that. So for them, as has been said, you have to find a way to motivate yourself, like maybe:

it's easy-kinda like throwing a dog a stick for a reward. my trick is no beer until gun is in the safe. gets done pretty easily that way.

:)

be

My problem is the opposite, how to stop dry firing even for a limited time to give my self the much needed rest. Dry firing is a very gratifying work out for me so much so that it developed into a habit and resulted to tendonitis on my elbow. W/ the injury, my doctor advised me to rest for a few months, but I only managed to stop it for a week and resumed dry firing again.

How do you force yourself to dry fire.... take the gun out, look at it, and think about everything you need to work on/improve. After a few seconds the gun should be in your hand.

Another way, look at a video of you shooting. That definitely makes me wanna pick up the gun and practice.

• 5 months later...

One of the great things about using a revolver is that it has a real trigger pull every time. I think of it as getting to go to the range every day.

Having my regimen recorded on a CD helps me as does having a dry fire range set up in my guest room.

I'm still struggling with this as well. I realize that I will be stuck in B-land unless I smarten up. I have the skills- they need to be refined. Competition and my desire to win will help motivate me.... I know it!