Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What we need!

kurtm

After last weeks Missisippi 3-gun I realised almost ALL the bags we use are NOT water proof! I am going to take it upon myself to get some manufacturer to make one! I will let you all know what I come up with! KurtM

Kurt, I assume what you are talking about is a soft side (since you said "bag") made of something like Gore-Tex? Have you talked to anyone yet? I have access to a manufacturer who has said he can get them made...just needs a spec. Spec means CAD drawings, which I can get done. Probably need a minimum of 100 bags to be economical. If you want me to pursue it with you, LMK. If you have it lined up, put me down for two.

Ideas: Light enough that you would use it for 1 gun in wet conditions, but could take 2 long guns and the pistol. Maybe 2 sizes for Open, and the rest of us. Mag pouches for rifle and pistol, maybe that could be removeable. Provision for "backpack" style carry as a modular.

Great idea Kurt! Like I said, if you want help in anyway, LMK.

keep it simple, take the Blackhawk 2 gun bag that is too short for 22" shotguns and make it a bit longer maybe 3", then just keep the rest of the design. mag pouches, backpack straps, and all the other googaws we really do not need.

A wrap around zipper to allow the bag to be laid flat on opening would allow the inside of the bag to dry properly.

trapr

Kurt the black bags we used in Norway for a short time, "WERE" waterproof. they just didn't like us using them!!!!!

Edited by bigbrowndog

I'll take a soft sided one that is at least 49-50 inches long(thats as long as my shotgun) that will hold it and the rifle, dont care about it being made waterprrof, can use the spray on boot water repellants that have worked for me so far on hats and jackets, problem is finding a 2 gun soft case that is that long....

After last weeks Missisippi 3-gun I realised almost ALL the bags we use are NOT water proof! I am going to take it upon myself to get some manufacturer to make one! I will let you all know what I come up with! KurtM

i talked to Brian Wise at Spec Ops after the Missouri FN Match where my overpriced, but really good shooting, Benelli grew rust all over by the time I got home. He said they could use closed cell stuff, but it would be uber expensive.

I bought some wally world spray and pray water repellent stuff and gave it two coats. we'll see.

1chota :cheers:

I'll take a soft sided one that is at least 49-50 inches long(thats as long as my shotgun) that will hold it and the rifle, dont care about it being made waterprrof, can use the spray on boot water repellants that have worked for me so far on hats and jackets, problem is finding a 2 gun soft case that is that long....

brownells' 3 gun competition case. i sprayed mine with wally world water repellent miracle stuff. hasn't rained on my guns since. don't know if it works, but it sure has kept it from raining.

1chota :cheers:

Buy a can of Scotch Guard at the hardware store and spray down that your gun bag and rifle and shotgun cases.

On the subject of hard cases, either Pelican or Storm is now making a hard plactic case and there is a soft case (well padded) inside which gives you the best of both worlds.

I had just received my Brownells case a few days prior to the MS 3 gun match. It holds my AR,pistol and 26" barrelled Winchester SX3 just fine. But.....we got ALOT of rain and so did my guns. I'm gonna try the spray on stuff and hope next time everything inside does not get as wet. My other complaint about the Brownells case is that it does not have a shoulder strap but rather back pack straps only. the attachment points for the backpack straps also work poorly for attaching a shoulder strap.

I remember talking to a shooter named Jamie McReynolds at Blue Ridge match this year. He said he had a bag in the works that was gonna be waterproof with a rubber coated type bottom that would hold a 26" barreled shotty and an AR along with a pistol and some other gear. His company is called Xcc which I think stood for Xtreme Competition Components or something to that effect.

Kurt,

Say it isn't so....do you understand the magic that makes a bag waterproof....if so are we that far away from you understanding the magic in an optic and forsaking the simplicity of irons.....my reality is caving in around me :lol:

Charles,.....its not our Scotch that needs guarding its our guns. :roflol:

I think the worse thing you can do to a wet gun is put it in a warm,closed, dry place, unless there is air moving over it.

as for guarding the Scotch, its really the Whiskey that needs guarding.

Trapr