Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which 9mm........

fastarget

Gents,

It is time to get a 9mm 1911, in this part of the state we shoot mostly IDPA. I managed to miss EX by 3 sec. with a friends kimber 9mm and would like to get my own.

Cost wise STI, Spingfield and kimber are similar,,,,,,,,an STI trojan with Brazos tuning a bit more, what about the next category, Baer, NH and Wilson?

Are the guns more durable?more accurate? are the prices worth the performance? I ran a search of the forum, but would like to bring the opinions up to date.

thank you.

I've heard Baer has problems with his 9mm's. And the big problem with that is they dont cover shipping either way. So everytime theres a problem is 100 bucks or so out of your pocket.

I would honestly go with a springfrield or a STI...probably STI since they've been great the couple times I needed them.

Both are companies that really support the shooting sports and customer service is great.

The higher end guns are nice but no more functional then tour Springfield or STI.

thanks for the input, the new wilson mags took care of the problems with the kimber 9mm my friend owns, I was allowed to shoot a springfield as well. That gun did well with the wilson mags as well as springfield mags with the crease in the front (strange looking jobs). I contacted Brazos for an STI, and they were real prompt with info etc.

I've got a 9mm STI Trojan and the gun rocks. I actually have it for sale complete with 4 Wilson mags, Techwell magwell, Fiber Optic front sight, 3 STI mags, and Comp Tac Straight drop holster. Let me know if you are interested.

Either way, if you go with the Trojan you will be happy. My buddy also has one and he loves it. For the money it's really hard to beat.

I used an STI Eagle in 9mm for IDPA for awhile and it is a wonderful gun. The only problem I had was the slide locking back reliably. If I were only going to shoot IDPA I would go with the Trojan.

thanks,

George

I use a Springfield loaded (the one in my avatar). It is basically stock except for a trigger job, FO front sight and SVI magwell. Will shoot 3/4" groups @25yds from the Ransom rest with 3.6 TG and a MG 124 HP. She has over 30k rounds through her and no broken parts so far.

Edited by toddrod

I like Springfield, Kimber and the Trojans from STI. All of the Trjans we have sold have run 100% out of the box. We have had pretty good luck with the Kimbers, only a couple needed minor adjustments. Springfields on the other hand don't seem to do that well out of the box, most we have had come through our shop needed adjustment. A little extractor work, ejector work and some ramp polishing and they seem to hit their stride. All seem to like the new Wilson ETM mags, everyone around here is using them now.

Tim

I currently run a custom 9mm 1911 by Fusion firearms that rocks. Good mags are always the key. Used to have an STI Eagle with a bushing barrel that did have lock back problems but that was 100% due to the mags. I put extra power mag springs in and that solved the problem. Used to have a Springfield with a little trigger work but they are not always availible and seem to be hit and miss on reliable. Mine was fine but ... Have heard very good things about Trojans. If you practice your reloads, a 1911 in 9mm is, IMHO, the best gun going for ESP. :cheers:

Dan Wesson PM-9. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. for $1100 bucks its has a lot to offer. Checkered front strap, fiber optic front sight , Bo-Mar type adjustable rear, match barrell, and Ed Brown components. Had a 3.5 #smooth trigger out the box. The mags that came with the gun works fine, I did buy some Wilson ETM 10 round mags to go with it also. The gun shoots very accurately, has a preference for 147 gr bullets and runs everything from 109 PF to 145 PF without changing recoil springs. Added a wilson Mag well and will start shooting this gun at local matches and see how it compares to my Tanfoglio Limited 9mm but so far the accuracy is the same. EAA barrel is about 50 fps faster then the DW but the EAA has a lot of rounds through it compared to the new Dan Wesson.

Hello: I would look at the Springfield with checkered front strap. A Kimber with a checkered front strap. Last the STI Trojan since it doesn't have a checkered front strap and I hate adding grip tape to a 1911. I have shot all three of these and they have all been great to shoot. I still have a Kimber Eclipse that is a 40 and a 9mm all in one. The mags I like are the Tripp's for 9mm with 10 rounds. The Metalform/Springfield work great but only have 9 rounds which for IDPA is the why to go sometimes. You may also want to consider those that sponser the sport like Springfield and STI. Thanks, Eric

I shoot a 9mm 1911 put to gether by Bob Marvel over in Crete, Nebraska. He'll include a target showing your pistol capable of 1" or less group at 50 yards from a machine rest. Also includes load data.

• 4 weeks later...
I shoot a 9mm 1911 put to gether by Bob Marvel over in Crete, Nebraska. He'll include a target showing your pistol capable of 1" or less group at 50 yards from a machine rest. Also includes load data.

Do you have a target like that? Not that long ago the bullseye typed did an accuracy test that used a test fixture (not a gun) and tested pretty much all of the premium 1911 barrels. Only one was capable of sub-1" groups at 50yds. Add in the inconsistency of the slide, frame, bushing etc and I can't see how any smith could better a barrel in a test fixture.

Edit to add: He lists 1.5" or better on his website, but that's 50% larger and a lot easier to attain. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I have heard the Phillips brothers are no longer at NH so quality may have taken a hit, not overly thrilled with my new T-3. I have been impressed with the Wilson's lately and have always been impressed with the Baer's.

If you can find one, Rock River made a great 9mm and should be in line with the others in price.

Edited by m1normando

I use a Springfield loaded (the one in my avatar). It is basically stock except for a trigger job, FO front sight and SVI magwell. Will shoot 3/4" groups @25yds from the Ransom rest with 3.6 TG and a MG 124 HP. She has over 30k rounds through her and no broken parts so far.

I'll second the Springfield Loaded model. I don't have as many rounds through mine, but it has yet to break or burn me on a stage yet. I run mine pretty much stock as well, with the exception of a small mag well. Like others have stated, the magazines make all the difference. I am currently using the Metalform 9 rounders. I haven't tried the Wilson 10 round mags yet.

I am also experimenting with a Para LDA Hi-Cap 9mm (widebody 18+1). Once I get over the trigger's "double reset", I think I'm gonna like it. I had better like it, the damn thing has just been sitting in the safe for about 4 years. I think it's time to let her out...

I have a Springfield 1911 Target in 9mm and an STI Trojan in 40 S&W. The SA 1911 in 9mm has been a model of reliability and functions with every bullet and OAL I have fed it - accuracy is on the minus side. The STI Trojan in 40 S&W is very accurate but has expereinced feeding problems particulary from slide lock and when the ramp gets a bit dirty after ca 25-35 rounds - I have called STI and sent the upper to them (great customer service).

• 2 weeks later...

what do you all think about the caspian for sale in the classifieds?????

Also, most seem to have no issues with the wilson combat mags, but I noticed at the last match that when loaded with 10, a couple of shooters would have problems dropping the slide from slide lock, they had to work it a bit to get the bullet completely out and chambered....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Springfield Loaded in 9mm with a Smith & Alexander magwell. I put an 11lb guide rod spring in it. I haven't used it in competition yet because I don't have a holster or mag holders yet and need more magazines and different sights. I have many rounds through it and it is extremely smooth. I can't wait to get it competition ready as I think it will be a great gun.

• 2 weeks later...