Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lost The fiber optic on my front sight

N2O5O

When you replace it, which is real easy, put a drop of crazy glue right in the middle. It will still eventually break but it won't come off. I lost two on my gun before trying the crazy glue trick. One day mine looked a little dull and I found it to be broke in two places but it was still on tight.

I spent all of last year with the FO out of the front sight on my XD. It came out at some point - I don't remember when - and the collective advice of the local GM's was to see how I did without it. The light coming through the hole isn't quite as eye-catching as the bright red/green/yellow optical fibre but, with practice, it's easy to get used to seeing just that.

Worked fine until half of the sight itself broke off in mid-match many months later -- I drew from the holster and thought the FS looked a little odd. Was able to finish the stage (and the rest of the match) OK. Dawson was wonderful -- replaced the whole FS, no questions asked.

I've heard other folks talk about heating the optical fibre so it "mushrooms" at both ends and holds in place. That's a bit easier to remove (than chipping away at cyanoacrylate glue) when it breaks and you'd like to replace it. There are discussions of that approach elsewhere on the Forum.

Hi Fran. Really? Chipping away? What kind of glue is that? All I did was slide a razor blade down the side of the rod and it came off. I still melt the ends but it breaks anyway. Maybe with my new powder you are bringing me next week it won't happen as much. See you then. :)

I keep a numbered drill bit that fits the hole in my front sight and a pin vise in my bag. That way if/when you need to change rods at the range and the glue got into the hole, just run the drill bit through (using the pin vise).

Hurley

Had the same thing happen to me early this summer.

Honestly, I liked it better. I get a little fickle at times, so I'll likely switch back at some point. But I really like being able to see through the sight. Visually it was pretty powerful, and a good reminder on what can be seen if I just allow myself to see.

With every experience I learn. This one was no exception.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I find /heating and mushrooming' the fiber end (my side) makes it look too fat and not as 'bright'. I 'recess' my end of the fiber into the hole, just a bit and leave the muzzle end a bit long, sticking out of the hole. To get the cleanest/brightest fiber view, be sure to cleave the end as perpendicular as possible. To hold the fiber in place I use hard tack gasket sealer filled underneath the fiber, only. Leaving at least 1/4 - 2/3rd sides visible. Have yet needed to replace it.

post-21374-1255014370_thumb.jpg

Mine came out once while practicing for the Masters at a friends house. I kept on practicing because I could see the white plates through the hole. He was amazed I could still turn in decent times, lol.

• 4 months later...

I had one break out during a steel match. I had to complete the last 2 stages in the dark with no front sight. I carry extras in the range bag now!

Thanks for the super glue trick. I will try that on my next install.

My front sight fell out about a month ago, so I have been shoot our weekly matches without it. I just placed an order for it yesterday.

I hope i don't get too used to shooting without it, heck I think I am shooting better without it! We will have to wait and see.....

I've been getting FO material from Fiber Optic Products for several years. Good price and prompt delivery. This is so cheap I change fibers frequently.

Fiber Optic Products

My fiber front sight broke in half. Because of this, it was hard to keep a fiber rod in, even with the mushrooming technique. But, Dawson was great and replaced it free of charge.

Lost my tube for a TFO front sight on the 30 yard stage at LA State 2008. All I remember seeing was Green Green Green Black WTF? Finished the match that way and came in 2nd SS. It is indeed a powerful "motivational" tool.

I also lost a rod once at a match somewhere. Not sure where but during the match I drew and NO FIBER OPTIC! I bought some replacements to have on hand. They have yet to find my range bag. :wacko:

Extra FO and a lighter taped inside the top lid of my "possibles" Dillon box. :D

But, since I wedge the sucker inside the channel (thread the FO, heat the rear sight end, let it swell and pull into the sight channel, clip and blossom the muzzle end), they don't come out until I cut them out when they get dull.

The first match I ever used my Sevigny F.O. front sight, it flew off on the last stage. I now know "instillation recommended by qualified gunsmith" equals "use locktite":surprise::roflol:

Luckily the R.O. wouldn't let me walk away, and we actually found the sight in the gravel. Then, to top it off, Dave Sevigny (who was shooting at the match) re-installed it for me and showed me the error of my non-locktite-ing ways... :cheers:

Glue works but a little two part epoxy works best, mushroom one end put a small dab of epoxy where it will fit into the sight, push it in then heat and mushroom the last end. A pair of fingernail clippers works great to cut the fiber optic, nice even cut. Mine are only replaced when the dull from solvent about every two years.