Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats your take about H1N1 vaccine?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This vaccine hasn't been tested enough for me to take a chance on it. I read an article about the previous Swine Flu epidemic sometime back and the vaccine they developed for it had some very undesirable side effects: https://www.google.com/health/ref/Guillain-Barre+syndrome.

Edited by The_Vigilante

I am just not convinced of the hoopla about this virus. Most people do not realize that every year 25,000-40,000 people in the USA did of the regular flu. I am not a "Black Helicopter" guy, but something about this does not feel right.

Not a political statement about this administration, just ???????

Mark K.

so far most instances of H1N1 are minor and most people don't know they have it. as they say..wash your hands and stay home if not feeling well.

We had a lot of cases at the Air Force Academy already and a current case in a nearby town where is going through a school district. IIRC we have had one death in the state from H1N1.

I have heard the reports of the last swine flu vaccine and its side effects. and my wife and I are discussing what to do now..especially with the kids.

I had what may have been a minor case last year so I may have some immunity. But I know someone who's college age son had to be hospitalized with it.

It appears right now that kids and young adults may be most at risk because this virus is unlike anything they have been exposed to before. Whereas older adults have probably been exposed to similar stains in the past and may have some immunity.

Since the vaccine is still at least a month away and cases are already showing up, it's entirely possible that it's going to be a moot point for some.

What's not helping is the media sensationalizing things and doing sound-bytes - but what's new about that.

People will need one shot for the regular seasonal flu and two for the new swine flu.

I work in a hospital so I have a greater risk of catching a flu or anything and actually got my flu shot yesterday. It prevents me from getting the flu and has worked for me.

I will get my first Swine shot next month. Not taking chances...

just drink beer...

Did you catch the artical a few weeks back? All Russian Soccer fans were being informed and encouraged

by the Russian Government that while traveling to England for games they must drink lots and lots of Vodka

to help kill the swine flu and prevent bringing it back the Mother Russian..

Myself on the flue shot ?? :unsure:

Why is there two shots for one little strain of the flu when every year one little shot gots you covered for like 4-5

strains going around that year ?? What about the stories of neuro damage going around ?? Hospitol workers ??

just drink beer...

Why is there two shots for one little strain of the flu when every year one little shot gots you covered for like 4-5

strains going around that year ?? What about the stories of neuro damage going around ?? Hospitol workers ??

Blame it on our naive immune systems. It takes the immune system a while to ramp up to fight unique types of influenza. Since we've never been exposed to this brand-new Swine virus. Scientists assume our bodies will act like those of young children so two shots are being given.

When children under age 9 get their first flu vaccine — the kind that protects against regular winter flu — one dose doesn't spark as much immune protection as the doses they'll get over the next years. So those first-timers are given two shots, a month apart, for good protection. Things are in the works for a single shot though to make it easier.

Back in 2006, the same problem occurred when scientists tested a vaccine against the notorious Asian bird flu. It took two very high doses to generate any protection.

About the neuro damage- influenza (flu) vaccines contain a preservative (thimerosal) and some suggessted this may be related to developmental problems in children. After many studies that looked into this theory found no evidence of this.

Haven't been sick in over 8 years and the only reason I took a flu vaccine was because Uncle Sam made me do it. Not worried about a little H1N1 and yes I also work in a urgent care clinic. Rules I told my guys about staying healthy:

- If it's in your nose, blow it out

- If it's in your throat, cough it up and spit it out

- Drink water (or beer)

- Wash your hands

Done.

Rich

I am just not convinced of the hoopla about this virus. Most people do not realize that every year 25,000-40,000 people in the USA did of the regular flu. I am not a "Black Helicopter" guy, but something about this does not feel right.

Not a political statement about this administration, just ???????

Mark K.

exactly, during all the hoopla about Swine flu the mass media conviently forgot to mention that during the same time a handful died of Swine flu the above died of regular old flu, FLu vaccines are bull crap, they protect you from 4 or 5 strains out of the tens of thousands floating around.

Make up your own minds with the information that is out there. FYI, H1N1 is not that much different from the Influenza we normally encounter in the winter months. The patients I've seen with it simply had the flu - fever, chills, body aches, runny nose, cough and they got better in a few days. Weigh your risks against those of the vaccination. I don't worry about it any more or less than "the flu."

Wash your hands.

My wife is an elementary school teacher. In her first five or six years of teaching we got sick, ALOT! Since then, we rarely get sick, and when we do, it is rarely serious. I have though, been the parent whose child nearly died from just the regular old flu that became secondary infection. (pneumonia) I think that when I weigh that against the possible side effects from any vaccinations, I usually will now get the flu shot, and so will my girls.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It is cheaper to get the shot, than to go to the doc for the disease.

JZ

Here it is so far:

As of August 28, 2009, 8,843 hospitalizations and 556 deaths (15 deaths in individuals 0-4 years, 86 deaths in individuals 5-24 years, 235 deaths in adults 25-49 years, 158 deaths in adults 50-64 years, 50 deaths in adults age 65 and older, and 12 deaths for which age was no reported) associated with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus have been identified by CDC and state and local public health departments

The difference between "regular" flu and H1N1-

With seasonal flu, we know that seasons vary in terms of timing, duration and severity. Seasonal influenza can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Each year, in the United States, on average 36,000 people die from flu-related complications and more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu-related causes. Of those hospitalized, 20,000 are children younger than 5 years old. Over 90% of deaths and about 60 percent of hospitalization occur in people older than 65. The information analyzed by CDC supports the conclusion that novel H1N1 flu has caused greater disease burden in people younger than 25 years of age than older people. At this time, there are few cases and few deaths reported in people older than 64 years old, which is unusual when compared with seasonal flu.

Quotes are form the CDC, so yeah, I guess if the gov is out to get us it could all be a lie... :ph34r:

Vaccines have come a long way. You're getting injected with a purified antigen, not even inactive virus.

Hand washing and good hygiene is always a good idea, and the odds are in your favor of not being hospitalized or killed by the flu. If you are young and healthy you are probably fine (although young almost seems like a disadvantage with H1N1). If you have: asthma, diabetes, a suppressed immune system, heart disease, kidney disease, neurocognitive and neuromuscular disorders or are pregnant you should probably think hard about it. I'd also think hard if you work somewhere or spend a lot of time around large groups of people (schools, university, whatever).

The vaccine may only be available to high risk groups initially anyway.

I've been vaccinated up the wazoo, starting with childhood shots that were mandatory back then, the original swine flu vaccine in 1976 and most recently anthrax for Iraq with regular flu shots and others along the way. No ill effects. Healthy as a horse and I only get sick (head cold) when sick people contaminate me. No worries here.

I'm a family medicine resident and thus more likely than most to get exposed either in the office or in the hospital. I have a wife that is almost 34wks pregnant, so we'll have a new baby around for all of flu season. I also work ridiculous hours, so losing a week to the flu is a no go. I'll get any flu vaccine they put out there and ask my wife who HATES shots to get the flu shot(s) for the first time. As someone above mentioned, the young and healthy are most at risk for serious problems. I'm a believer in vaccinations, but to work as they are supposed to, as many people as possible have to take them. When was the last time you heard of a small pox outbreak? The developed world doesn't see much polio anymore. The pertussis part of the tdap vaccine has dramatically changed the number of infants we see with whooping cough.