Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tough Day at the Range

Gregg K

What a day at the range. I sneek away from work to hit the range for a little while. I start out by getting the chrono out to verify some loads I was making for steel and ICORE. I fire the first round and get 123 PF. It felt real soft compared to what I have been running. I shoot the second round and while it is soft, it feels strange, the barrel came off, snapped it right off where the threads end.

That's not the end of this gift. I guess as the barrel was comming off it dipped down first, sending the bullet through the center of my chrono. :angry2: Dead gun and chrono.

Last year within a week of today I had all my gear stollen before the Nationals. Now this year my game gun falls apart. I think I'll take August off next year.

At least the barrel didn't fall off at the ICORE Midwest Regional last week, that would have given Bubber something to write about.

66_1.jpg

66_2.jpg

Chrono_1.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a day at the range. I sneek away from work to hit the range for a little while. I start out by getting the chrono out to verify some loads I was making for steel and ICORE. I fire the first round and get 123 PF. It felt real soft compared to what I have been running. I shoot the second round and while it is soft, it feels strange, the barrel came off, snapped it right off where the threads end.

That's not the end of this gift. I guess as the barrel was comming off it dipped down first, sending the bullet through the center of my chrono. :angry2: Dead gun and chrono.

Last year within a week of today I had all my gear stollen before the Nationals. Now this year my game gun falls apart. I think I'll take August off next year.

At least the barrel didn't fall off at the ICORE Midwest Regional last week, that would have given Bubber something to write about.

66_1.jpg

66_2.jpg

Chrono_1.jpg

Did the first round appear on the target? I have a Chrony that is your Chrony's twin.

Edited by underlug

Did the first round appear on the target? I have a Chrony that is your Chrony's twin.

Yes, the first round clocked 123 PF and I watched it impact the berm. The second round...well we see where the second round impacted.

DANG Holy crud.

Real grad it was just replaceable stuff that took it, not you. That is

truly one weird failure. Never seen anything like it. Is that top strap

bowed or is it the camera angle? Not a metallurgist, but how the heck

can a barrel FALL OFF :blink: like that without some sort of fatigue

to begin with. Maybe someone really smart will be by soon to tell me.

Seriously, glad your OK. Could of been a real sh!tty weekend.

On the Bright side.. You're ok and you got one nice snubby to show off. I have never seen one like that before, but I did have 45 barrel break and droop at the point where the threads were cut for a barrel comp. But it would have made a greast story for the mid-west. :ph34r: later rdd

DANG Holy crud.

Real grad it was just replaceable stuff that took it, not you. That is

truly one weird failure. Never seen anything like it. Is that top strap

bowed or is it the camera angle? Not a metallurgist, but how the heck

can a barrel FALL OFF :blink: like that without some sort of fatigue

to begin with. Maybe someone really smart will be by soon to tell me.

Seriously, glad your OK. Could of been a real sh!tty weekend.

The top strap and all the rest of the gun is perfectly fine. That's the weakest part of a K frame barrel and I'm pretty sure that it must of had a stress crack and didn't happen all at once. I would have looked pretty silly trying to finish out a stage with a snubby.

Wanna sell the front sight blade? :ph34r:

Sorry to hear about the misfortune. It sux big time.

Now that's cold....... :surprise: At least wait until tomorrow to start the scavenging... :ph34r:

It all good. Kind of a variation of the old saying "Nothing personal buddy but if you die first, I got dibbs on your gear". :roflol:

Greg... if it did happen at the midwest nationals i would have hopefully finished before you..... but after looking at the added time from "mike" and "no shoot" i think you could have just shot the morning half of the match and still beat me....

glad you didn't get hurt... sucks to lose a gun and a chrono

Sorry to hear that Gregg.

When I have a day like that, I drink a 12pack of Coors Light, put on my thong, and walk around the block a few times.

So you treat it like any other normal day?

Greg,

Sorry man, that has to be a huge bummer!

Sorry to hear that Gregg.

When I have a day like that, I drink a 12pack of Coors Light, put on my thong, and walk around the block a few times.

So you treat it like any other normal day?

Pretty much....

Greg... if it did happen at the midwest nationals i would have hopefully finished before you..... but after looking at the added time from "mike" and "no shoot" i think you could have just shot the morning half of the match and still beat me....

glad you didn't get hurt... sucks to lose a gun and a chrono

Thanks Chris

The guns not lost, it just needs a barrel. The chrono is pretty much trash though. I guess I'll have to give the gun a name when it comes back to life..maybe Phoenix :roflol: It was good to meet you at the match.

Over tightened I suppose. Not THAT uncommon.

Just a curiosity shot in the dark crazy question.... do you have an ultrasonic cleaner?

In thinking about this, it isn't hard to imagine that if the face of the frame and barrel were not perfectly square with each other and the barrel was over tightened that over time stress would make it give way.

As far as the ultrasonic cleaner, no, I don't have one.