Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My old safe is beyond it's capacity....way beyond. I have to stack soft cases on the bottom and sides and it's beyond maxed out. Aside from not really being bing enough for my current inventory, there are three other big problems. One is that if I go out of town I don't have any space for my work guns, two I don't have room for expansion if I buy anything new and three I can't put other valuables in there (watches, jewelry etc). I'm looking at buying a long-term solution; something that's bigger than I need now and something that's good enough that in five years I won't wish I'd gotten something better.

Yes, I know typical safes only keep out the neighbors kids, smash and grab thiefs etc. About two years ago we did a search warrant on a drug dealer's place and it turned out he had the exact same safe as one of our agents. The agent put a lot of time and research into it and spent quite a bit of cash. The bad guy wouldn't give us the combo so we called the locksmith who turned out to be the guy he bought it from. I timed him and even with a drill bit change he had it open in 15 minutes! Needless to say our agent was a little surprised...lol. So, I'm not looking for or expecting anything unrealistic, just a solid safe with good fire protection and some room to grow.

Anybody have brand recommendations or good sources for info that will help me narrow it down a little? R,

The good news is you may be within delivery range of Pete the Safe guy. He's out of Troy OH - maybe...but drives all over the region...best $125 I ever spent. He's discrete and quick...ask around in local shops about delivery guy. Pete just does delivery...but for everyone it seems around here....bass pro - TWorld - Bud's in Lexington KY even.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. I was already looking at some Liberty models...mostly the Lincoln, but wasn't familiar with Patriot. As with everything else it seems like when you like a feature from one brand it's not offered on the others and vice-versa! The good thing is there are a couple of Liberty dealers that are within a reasonable drive so I can go look at most of their models. Now I'll have to see about the other brands. I've got a big enough trailer to haul it home, but I'd probably need some friends to help move it inside if I go that route. I've heard it's not too bad if you roll them on blocks and heavy dowels....I'm still deciding on the location. If it's tough I'll just pony up and pay someone to do it...that way if they drop it, they pay for it.

Keep the ideas and feedback coming! R,

I'm also looking for a bigger safe and decided on Sturdy Safes out of Fresno, California (at least good safes are made here in Calif). A friend of mine just got one and he loves it. I saw it & its built like a rock with 7 or 8 gauge walls. It ain't the prettiest safe, but its built well. He also bought it as a "second" for a substantial discount (although the owner of the safe company couldn't figure out why). Its the Model 3627. His is fire lined and he got it for about $1800 plus change (remember it was a second).

I'm getting it fire lined too. My current Lincoln 35 is not. I know of two people who have had a structure fire and when the rounds started cooking off the fire department backed off and down to the ground she went. I'm lucky in that my wife understands why the two safes have to be in the house. My female co-workers told me there is no way in hell a gun safe let alone two would be inside their residence. They said gun safes belong in the garage and if their husbands don't like it they can join the safes in the garage!.

I have another friend who bought a safe from a local department store when they went out of business. Its huge and works well for him. That thing stays in the garage though (its too big). He only paid about $500 for it. He tried to drill a hole in the bottom of the safe and broke three drill bits before he gave up. Craigslist has some deals too.

Funny, 45DV8 and I were talking safes yesterday. I have a Cannon and love it. My only rec is whatever the biggest safe you think you'll ever need, buy the next size up. I now have a jam packed safe and still have a room full of long guns that won't fit......

I'm fond of my Liberty safe. It's very heavy and has a good fireproof rating. They have several sizes available, and they don't cost as much as a Browning or Cannon. http://www.libertysafe.com/

+1, We have a Liberty Washington 40 cubic feet safe anchored to the floor. Their glossy paint is very nice looking and I have mine in the living room, next to the fire place. We have more documents, photos and such in it than guns, but it is comforting to have it.

Edited by rangertrace

A closet and a vault door, several sheets of 1/4" steel, bolt the corners together in the closet, install a top and bottom. use two layers of steel with a layer or two of drywall between. Leave the closet door intact in front of the vault door.

Jim

I've heard it's not too bad if you roll them on blocks and heavy dowels....I'm still deciding on the location. If it's tough I'll just pony up and pay someone to do it...that way if they drop it, they pay for it.

Keep the ideas and feedback coming! R,

The safe movers took an hour to get the safe into my old house --- using a stair climbing dolly for the two steps up the porch and into the house. Then they wheeled it into place. The house movers who moved us out slid it across the carpet in the office, onto a padded blanket (one of the heavy moving kinds) in the tiled hallway, across the hall and across the hardwood in the living room, and transferred it to a handtruck in the living room doorway to get it onto the truck. It took them five minutes from start to finish on the truck.....

If you're gonna bolt it in place, there might be something to be said for multiple smaller safes --- easier to move with you, versatile in that they can be scattered around the house, potentially easier to get into the next house.....

I'd love one of the monsters --- but I'd probably just add a second/third safe as needed....

A closet and a vault door, several sheets of 1/4" steel, bolt the corners together in the closet, install a top and bottom. use two layers of steel with a layer or two of drywall between. Leave the closet door intact in front of the vault door.

Jim

That's a great idea, but not an option with the current house. We don't expect to be here too long so we're renting a place and I can't make any changes. Also, there isn't a closet where I'd like to put it, so I'm pretty much stuck with a safe one way or the other. When we get to someplace we'll be a while I'll likely build a false wall in the back of a closet and put the safe behind it....with steel and some drywall for added protection. They won't steal what they don't find! I'd probably leave my small safe somewhere visible with a few inexpensive guns in it as bait. R,

Just remember, given the time and opportunity it doesn't take much to get into a gun locker.

This is why I replaced my Cannon safe that was in the garage with a Sturdy safe. I was looking at the American Security too, but I was able to get Sturdy safe cheaper.

Gary

Edited by get2now

I timed him and even with a drill bit change he had it open in 15 minutes! Needless to say our agent was a little surprised...lol. So, I'm not looking for or expecting anything unrealistic, just a solid safe with good fire protection and some room to grow.

Anybody have brand recommendations or good sources for info that will help me narrow it down a little? R,

Problems with most of all the common big brand name safes is the types of relockers they use. Most just use a small piece of steel that holds the relocker open so you really just have to be in a big hurry when drilling to knock it back enough to engage the relocker. So most any good safe cracker can drill one open in no time at all.

If a good thief is going to break into your house it takes a really good safe to keep them out like in the $7 to $25K range. But most thieves will not waste their time on even a cheap safe unless they know they have lost of time. This is where a good alarm systems with a safe will work the best. And with a smaller safe it makes all the difference in the world to bolt it to a concert slab with at least 1/2" anchors of some type. placement has a lot to do with it also.

Just my .02

Thanks guys. I was already looking at some Liberty models...mostly the Lincoln...

+1 on the Liberty Lincoln, Bart... that's what I have. 50 cu-ft is pretty big. (My 2 year old thinks it's an elevator ; )

The good news is you may be within delivery range of Pete the Safe guy. He's out of Troy OH - maybe...but drives all over the region...best $125 I ever spent. ........

I would suggest this as well. Even If you can get several brawny types to help, they typically get in each others way ( I know I usually was in the way)

someone who moves large heavy items for a living will amaze you at how easily they can move your safe anywhere in the house.

fwiw

dj

This is the model I have. 45 long guns is BS because you can not fit that many stocks in it. But I have a feeling just about anyone who quotes X number of guns will fit is BS. Not if they have optics and such. Especiall if they are bolt actions where the bolt makes it even wider. I do not feel that it is a top of the line safe but I do feel much better than the Academy / Walmart safe. I guess I would say a good midrange security. And better than midrange fire rating. They do not totaly break the bank either at about $1600.

http://stack-on.com/securityplus/total_def...ct/tds-545.html

Edited by barney88pdc