Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GM before 18?

I'm 17 and a Master in Limited Division, and an A in Open (due to my M Lim card). I don't think I'd have any problem getting a GM card, so here's the question:

Is it worth it for me to try and make GM before I turn 18 just for the sake of being a "junior GM?"

If I do go for it, should it be in Limited or Open?

Does it even matter?

Thanks for the input!

:cheers:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does not matter. Unless you are joining the Army, and are thinking of trying to get on the AMU. Otherwise I think it's very foolish. <_<

Not to mention you would NOT be the first, so the novelty is luke warm at best.

Better to try and excel at Master Limited first.

Does not matter. Unless you are joining the Army, and are thinking of trying to get on the AMU. Otherwise I think it's very foolish. <_<

I'd have to agree with Chris.

I understand the pull... think about how well you will do as a new GM and if you still want to do it, well hell, go for it. :devil:

Edited by JThompson

I don't think there is anything to gain unless your just smoking Master class right now anyway. I'm not a big fan of holding a classification if you can't back it up though.

I'm not a big fan of holding a classification if you can't back it up though.

So true ... so true! ;)

There's lots of guys out there that are classed way above where they really ought to be. Shoot at a pace thats challenging to you, and let the chips fall where they may.

So true ... so true! ;)

There's lots of guys out there that are classed way above where they really ought to be. Shoot at a pace thats challenging to you, and let the chips fall where they may.

If your doing 1.7bill drills with all A's consistently you are on the verge of GM, If you are winning all your major matches in M than its time to move up

So true ... so true! ;)

If your doing 1.7bill drills with all A's consistently you are on the verge of GM, If you are winning all your major matches in M than its time to move up

Exactly my point.

Bud, at 17 I was a young and foolish. No longer young. Even now I can't do 10% of what you can probably do as an M. If you want GM, push yourself and learn from the self-discipline and effort required. However, take it from me, don't push so hard that family and friends lose to an ephemeral goal.

Only you and your family know what's best. If you show me up too bad, though, I might have to come after you with my walker. :)

Leam

Someone could practice a classifier in advance if they know it's coming up in a local match and smoke it, partly because they practiced THAT classifier. Someone could also do a "re-entry" and shoot the classifier again in the match in hopes of getting a better score.

I'm 17 and a Master in Limited Division, and an A in Open (due to my M Lim card). I don't think I'd have any problem getting a GM card, so here's the question:

Is it worth it for me to try and make GM before I turn 18 just for the sake of being a "junior GM?"

Does it even matter?

Thanks for the input!

Not sure if I understand exactly what you have in mind.

If you are asking if you should practice certain classifiers to be a 'paper GM' before your 18th birthday, then the answer would probably be no.

If you are asking if you should ramp up your practice of 'all around' skills that will make you a GM before your 18th birthday, then yes. Not because you are trying to do it while still a junior, but rather because don't you want to get as good as possible, as soon as possible?

I'm not sure I understand the comment that more or less seems to say that you have to do your time as a M. It's not like other sports, where you might need to spend some time in AAA before facing the pitchers in the big leagues. Or facing some journeymen boxers before taking on the contenders. We all shoot the same stages, at the same matches. Why not improve as quickly as possible?

If it was so easy everyone would do it.

Maybe some people just understand better, that it's like getting married. You dont do it until your good and ready, because it's something you can't just change your mind on. Once youre a GM ...... you're a GM FOREVER. :)

What's the point in going for GM other than saying you're a GM? (unless you are trying to get on the Army Team like Chris said and even just having a GM title isn't enough for that). I have beat the tar out of some GM's and I am NOT a GM nor do I think I am better than a GM. The real point is to shoot your game and let your classification be what it is.

Edited by jasmap

Nick, don't try. Keep up the dedication and work ethic that has taken you this far. Identify weakness and make them strengths. Shoot, shoot some more. Let it happen. You will be better prepared when you get there.

Like Leozinho said, it depends on what you're really asking. If you're asking should you push to improve your skill level as much, and as fast, as possible, knowing that, if you continue to do so, your on-demand skill level will be such that, through shooiting every classifier that comes your way ONCE, you'll be a GM before 18, hell yeah! If you're asking if you should shoot the classifiers mutliple times to get a rank that is not indicative of your on-demand skill level, hell no.

Tom Kettels, a former Area One champion, once gave me some great advice: "Shoot the classifier like it's just another stage. Other than that, forget about it. When you get a new card in the mail from USPSA, that's how you know you're ready to move up."

Does it even matter?

Thanks for the input!

grasshopper, you get what you put in. You can climb to the top of Mount Everest if YOU want. don't listen to pleople telling you can't acomplish this or that in life. You can! In the end the journey is where it is at.

I always like to see ambition in young people…

DVC,

Sandro

What would you do differently to make GM that you are not doing right now? Would it be practice or just spray and praying at classifiers.

I know a guy who would just give the match director a $50 to start with and reshoot classifiers.

Flyin