Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GM before 18?

I think you should not give much more thought to it Nick. You've been doing great "stick" with your plan, if GM happens to be "on the way" of that plan, so be it. No one wants to be that GM in the middle of the A and B shooters. Don't lose your momentum or that focus on being a great all around shooter. You still have many matches ahead of you.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Leozinho said, it depends on what you're really asking. If you're asking should you push to improve your skill level as much, and as fast, as possible, knowing that, if you continue to do so, your on-demand skill level will be such that, through shooiting every classifier that comes your way ONCE, you'll be a GM before 18, hell yeah! If you're asking if you should shoot the classifiers mutliple times to get a rank that is not indicative of your on-demand skill level, hell no.

Tom Kettels, a former Area One champion, once gave me some great advice: "Shoot the classifier like it's just another stage. Other than that, forget about it. When you get a new card in the mail from USPSA, that's how you know you're ready to move up."

Well my answer should have read more like Duane's. This IS the right answer.

Nick,

If that is your goal, go for it.

Otherwise, I would let my performance at major matches (ones that count toward classification) be the vehicle that moves me up in classification.

Classifiers don't really test all the skills needed to be a true GM :ph34r: .

Nice to have the title but you should be able to back it up too.

Do what you want to do :cheers:

Alright, thanks for the input everyone, sounds like i'm just going to shoot how i shoot, push myself to improve, and what they call "classfication" will not even be an issue. I have every intention of being moved to GM someday, so now or later, it matters not. I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to be that good, and i'm going to push the limits. I want to win ;)

I'm just going to shoot how i shoot, push myself to improve, and what they call "classfication" will not even be an issue. I have every intention of being moved to GM someday, so now or later, it matters not. I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to be that good, and i'm going to push the limits. I want to win ;)

Nick,

You NEED to make this your signature. Excellent post

Flyin

Alright, thanks for the input everyone, sounds like i'm just going to shoot how i shoot, push myself to improve, and what they call "classfication" will not even be an issue. I have every intention of being moved to GM someday, so now or later, it matters not. I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to be that good, and i'm going to push the limits. I want to win ;)

Abso-postivly-perfect!!!! :cheers:

How are your grade in school? :excl:

Hopefully better than the example above :roflol:

Solid grades at the community college. Two A's and two B's last semester.

I was pretty bummed on the B's, but i guess I should have actually put some effort in. My english instructor said that I'd have probably been pushed up from B to A if I would have spent more then 45 min on each essay lol. :wacko:

My english instructor said that I'd have probably been pushed up from B to A if I would have spent more then 45 min on each essay lol. :wacko:

I resemble that remark. I never liked English class. I enjoyed the reading (I read all kinds of stuff... books, magazines, ect. Heck... I enjoy reading the NEWSPAPER... something about holding the news, you know?), I just didn't like writing down what I thought about it... I always felt it was none of the teachers business. :rolleyes:

But... I gotta agree with everyone else... practice and shoot your game. When it comes, it comes. Just remember this... it's a GAME... have FUN !!!

You'll enjoy it much more if you earn it, rather than grandbagging it. :cheers:

Frank

Little Kahuna, what I like best about reading this discussion is the fact that you're clearly open to the opinions of others and willing to be patient in achieving your goals. I can't say that about very many young men!

As for me, my qualifier scores stink, and you know what? I don't sweat it. Why? While it's not likely to happen, I can in fact be a B class shooter who beats a GM if that's the way the ball bounces after all the scores are tallied. For me, it's all about whose name is higher on the list, classification be damned. If the all important thing for you is to go to the Level III matches in order to take home a button that says you were high M, then stay an M. If what matters to you is the name of the HOA at that particular match and how you ranked against that shooter if it's not you, then who cares what your class is?

If you ever shoot at Gopher Flats or Prado, I hope I'll run into you someday. I'd be honored if you taught this guy who is twice your age a few tricks. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Does not matter. Unless you are joining the Army, and are thinking of trying to get on the AMU. Otherwise I think it's very foolish. <_<

Not to mention you would NOT be the first, so the novelty is luke warm at best.

Better to try and excel at Master Limited first.

How is it foolish to strive to move up?

I'm 17 and a Master in Limited Division, and an A in Open (due to my M Lim card). I don't think I'd have any problem getting a GM card, so here's the question:

Is it worth it for me to try and make GM before I turn 18 just for the sake of being a "junior GM?"

If I do go for it, should it be in Limited or Open?

Does it even matter?

Thanks for the input!

:cheers:

Dude go for it. I don't know if anything we do in USPSA is "worth it", but you should strive to be better. Don't let any jerk tell you that it is grandbagging or any nonsense like that. Load your ammo, do your training, and rock hard.

Moving up at oneself's own pace is one thing Ben. Moving up too fast or too soon is another.

The reason you must be 18 to vote, 21 to drink, and 25 for cheaper car insurance is an ever increasing maturity level. Perhaps one day Nick will make GM. But to try and make GM for the sake of doing it before someone else, or before he turns 18 is a little impetuous.

It's not that I frown on it, given the proper circumstances. But it's a decision that needs to be thought out thoroughly before taking. It can never be reversed. So why rush into it? Thats all. :)

Consider it like a marriage - once you make GM there's no turning back. Take your beatings like a man, and spend a lot of time out of the house! :roflol:

Edited by Chris Keen

Moving up at oneself's own pace is one thing Ben. Moving up too fast is another.

The reason you must be 18 to vote, 21 to drink, and 25 for cheaper car insurance is an ever increasing maturity level. Perhaps one day Nick will make GM. But to try and make GM for the sake of doing it before someone else, or before he turns 18 is a little impetuous.

It's not that I frown on it, given the proper circumstances. But it's a decision that needs to be thought out thoroughly before taking. It can never be reversed. So why rush into it? Thats all. :)

F all that. I say drop the hammer. :cheers:

It's not all about getting from A to B... but the path between is equally important. Don't lose sight of that as well. Good luck with all your goals Nick.... I wish I could be young again. <_<