Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Waste of "To-go" Containers

benos

I (we) eat out a lot. And lately I've been getting real sick of throwing out "to-go" containers, after polishing off the rest of the meal that I can never finish in the restaurant.

So I realize - I can take my own to-go container with me! So I've been telling my friends - I'm startin' a revolution - I'm taking my own leftover containers to the restaurant. A look of slight puzzlement is usually followed by a "that's a good idea!"

So last week me, BigJoni, and Michele hit Riazzi's for lunch. Our waiter's looking at us a bit funny, as he hands us our check, as we're filling up our tupperware containers. Michele looks at him and says "We're startin' a revolution." The guy's really into it - he says "I think it's awesome. I get sick of watching all the Styrofoam go out the door."

be

We have this wonderful chain of restaurants called Charo Chicken. When you get your food to go, they give you little tiny plastic cups for salsa. They might hold as much as a tablespoon. Since we use salsa like most people use gravy, we bring recycled butter containers to bring home the spice instead of a bunch of those little throw-out cups. I guess this sort of like reloading :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

I've been using recycled plastic grocery bags at the store for ages. I tape together three bags (to give the assembly some strength--and longevity), and I've made some of these three-bag inventions last well over a year or so.

The bring-your-own-doggie-bag idea is great! I'm willing to try that one. :D

I always ask that any leftovers be wrapped in foil. The foil is handy because it can be used to reheat food in the oven and after I'm done it's a quick rinse and into the recycle bin.

Now, if someone wants to really make a impact, find a way to recycle styrofoam.

I've been using recycled plastic grocery bags at the store for ages. I tape together three bags (to give the assembly some strength--and longevity), and I've made some of these three-bag inventions last well over a year or so.

The bring-your-own-doggie-bag idea is great! I'm willing to try that one. :D

We use them for everything from waste basket liners to trash bags in our cars to luggage for the pet toys and food.

Edited by TM262

Brian I think you are really onto something. I have lived near coastlines for much of my life. Styrafoam containers easily blow out of landfills and really pile up along the coasts & rivers. They ruin everything from the view to the wildlife. And they last forever. No one wants the status quo.

:cheers:

While we're at it, please switch to reusable grocery bags made of nylon or something. They hold more per bag, are cheap to buy, last a very long time, allow reuse instead of recycle, and most stores give you some discount for using them.

I always ask that any leftovers be wrapped in foil. The foil is handy because it can be used to reheat food in the oven and after I'm done it's a quick rinse and into the recycle bin.

Now, if someone wants to really make a impact, find a way to recycle styrofoam.

Come to think of it, ban the stuff...

Then only outlaws will have styrofoam I guess

Not a bad idea. My wife ALWAYS gets a to-go container right off the bat. Since restraurants give too-large portions, she portions out what she wants to save for tommorow and sets it aside before she starts eating.

I'll let her know about bringing our own containers and see what she says.

This is a great idea! At work the caf. encourages us to use the regular plates and silverware even if we're going back to our desks to eat. They have little drop off stations in the break rooms. I think my gf will be very willing to join your revolution!

~Mitch

My wife and I are in for the Revolution as she always has leftovers. In Illinois the take home containers are mostly styrofoam, however we were recently vacationing in Oregon, and all their take home containers were made from recycled paper. Very similar to "Chinese food boxes". They seemed to work well, and could be recycled. I think my relative told me that they are not allowed to use styrofoam out there, anybody know if that is true?

We do something thats a bit opposite, but the results are the same. Several take out or "to-go" containers are plastic with clear lids. We keep them and re-use them as tupperware. I take my lunches in them all the time.

Sounds like an opportunity and good marketing idea.

My GF said the same thing - she said you could sell the idea to restaurants.

be

While we're at it, please switch to reusable grocery bags made of nylon or something. They hold more per bag, are cheap to buy, last a very long time, allow reuse instead of recycle, and most stores give you some discount for using them.

:cheers:

I am so in. :cheers:

Viva la revolucion

:)

We do something thats a bit opposite, but the results are the same. Several take out or "to-go" containers are plastic with clear lids. We keep them and re-use them as tupperware. I take my lunches in them all the time.

I've got a nice little stash of those too. We got some take out soup from Chompies the other day, and the tupperware-like containers the soup came in were really high quality, like you'd actually pay money for them in a store.

be

I've got a nice little stash of those too. We got some take out soup from Chompies the other day, and the tupperware-like containers the soup came in were really high quality, like you'd actually pay money for them in a store.

be

Yep. I have a good stock of Hot and Sour soup containers that get used often.

That's a darn good idea Brian! During the winter I used to stop at my favorite Chinese place for a quart of hot & sour soup when I felt a cold coming on and I'd take my own thermos (wide mouth type) with me because I was on foot and I wanted hot soup when I got home. The thermos was a bit more than a quart but they always filled it right to the top. I was a starving college student at the time and I sure appreciated that bit extra.

Been using the more durable shopping bags for years although I have not yet determined a fool proof method of remembering to get them back in the right vehicle after unloading them in the house. Seems like they all end up in one rig or the other which, as luck would have it, isn't the one used for shopping the next time out. We like the ones made out of ripstop nylon that pack up into their own tiny carrying bag.

The plastic bags that do make it home get used for picking up dog waste, holding the contents of the cat box cleaning efforts, ash from the pellet stove, etc.

I personally haven't found the need for to-go containers but the wife uses them. ;)

I hadn't seen a styrofoam to-go container around here in years until I noticed my favorite Thai place was using them a few months ago. They must have changed though as they were using the more standard chinese food to-go containers last time I was there.

I did see an interesting use for styrofoam awhile back. It was mixed with petroleum solvent to form a viscous goo. This was then applied to a paper mache canoe to provide water proofing. Apparently it works quite well although it is flammable and rather dangerous to make and apply. YMMV, use at own risk, yada yada.

My biggest bitch in terms of styrofoam is the electronics industry and all their custom made, premolded electronics packaging. I can't believe there isn't a better way. And the expanded plastic packing used as a styrofoam alternative is no more recyclable than styrofoam. We put together a full rack of servers at work a couple weeks ago and FILLED a 15 yard dumpster with unrecylable packing. I felt like there had to be a way to just ship this back to the company so they could re-use it but that doesn't appear to be possible. :(