Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why 9mm Major?

Ed Robinson

Just wondering this morning why did the 9major come into being? There is nothing it will do that the 38 super won't do with lesser pressures. Components are basically the same costs (other than maybe once fired 9mm brass being much more readily available and cheaper), gun costs are same. From what I understand, 9major is much harder to tune and get right. What am I missing? Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering this morning why did the 9major come into being? There is nothing it will do that the 38 super won't do with lesser pressures. Components are basically the same costs (other than maybe once fired 9mm brass being much more readily available and cheaper), gun costs are same. From what I understand, 9major is much harder to tune and get right. What am I missing? Thanks.

As already mentioned, cheap brass. I shoot 38 supercomp and pick up most of my brass at locals so I see no significant difference in cost. I prefer super.

When the power factor was 175, and guys wanted to make 180 for insurance, it was damned hard to do with 9mm brass. Even when loaded long to fill up the 1911 magwell, the resulting ammo caused problems with over pressure and near compression powder levels. While many kept trying, most seemed to accept that it was a bit too hard, and used the longer super or super comp cases.

Now with a 160 PF, it's just easier enough to make it worth the effort.

I've only shot 38 Super and never have considered going to the variations like SC, TJ, et. al. As for 9mm, there's SOME merit to it, but since I've got a LOT of 38 Super brass and it's easy to pick up (when the SC guys are fighting for there's, there's a nice pile of my Super waiting) I'll just stick with it. Having a Case Pro setup for 38 Super doesn't hurt either. :D

Rich

The reason I would buy a 9mm open is twofold. First, I primarily shoot indoors and second, I don't reload yet. Other than our weekly USPSA matches, shooting extremely loud major loads with velocities over 1,200 fps is prohibited. People do and will complain. As a result, when I want to practice, I can shoot factory 9mm, WWB, Federal, Atlanta Arms etc. and nobody notices or complains. It's not just cheap brass but also cheap and easy to find factory ammo. Any .38 super etc. factory variant is hard to find in and it's expensive. Finally, if you shoot steel, factory 9mm minor ammo works just fine.

Edited by wkj4567

I had a 10mm that I was shooting at an indoor range, and hated having to chase my brass down so carefully as it was expensive. So when I decided to go with open, shooting outside, I really didn't want to have to chase after all my brass. Plus my smith, JPL, shoots 9Major himself. So for the most part I don't have to chase my brass down, and if I do, I only use them for minor loads after that.

~Mitch

My question is why not?

If you're not getting brass for free and you don't mind marking your cases and picking them up I'd say the appeal of 9 Major is gone. That would be my "why not" deciding factor.

Certainly, 9 Major guns can be made to run, but it takes more work on the part of the smith and you're limited (to some degree) in what powders you can use, how you set up your mags etc. Take two otherwise identical guns built by the same smith, one in 9 Major and one in Supercomp....the SC gun is going to be slightly less likely to give you reliability problems....exactly how much is hard to quantify. If both are built right it's probably not enough to worry about, but I think you'll still have to use more care in loading for the 9....quality of brass etc.

At our local matches we can pick our brass and I usually get 95% or more back. I'll use cases three or four times (.38SC) as match brass and then it becomes practice brass that I get almost 100% back and they'll get loaded easily 10-15 times before I trash them. At the big matches I'll use new or once-fired brass and figure that, at worst, 350-500 cases cost me $60 or so. Considering entry fees, gas, hotels, etc, etc, adding another $60 is pretty insignificant. R,

My question is why not?

I do what it takes to get as close to 100% reliability as possible with a minimum effort and for me that means the extra cost of 38 supercomp brass is secondary. If I picked up NO brass at matches, I would still run supercomp. Make your decision on chambering knowing the trade offs.

Is there any danger in firing 9mm brass more then a few times out of a open gun with that kind of pressure? I am just think about case head seperations and such. It just seems to me that the super varient cases were designed for more pressure from the start. If you can re'use super brass, but need new 9mm brass every time, is there any savings?

It would be interesting to chart the relative percentages of new Open guns in 9 and Super as well as brass prices. Somebody once told me that when 9 major first became legal & popular, sales were almost 8:1-- Eight 9's for every super, but now it's swung back the other way; 8 supers for every 9.

Is there any danger in firing 9mm brass more then a few times out of a open gun with that kind of pressure? I am just think about case head seperations and such. It just seems to me that the super varient cases were designed for more pressure from the start. If you can re'use super brass, but need new 9mm brass every time, is there any savings?

My 9mm practice brass has been reloaded up to 5 times so far with my current load (171PF) without any signs of problems. I do inspect any cases I pick up at the range and cull out anything that looks badly worn. I also cull cases that feel tight in my sizer die (not a U-die). I will use this brass for monthly matches where I don't pick it up. I always use once fired brass for major matches.