Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Extractors Vs. Everything Else

BN91205

Hello Everyone,

My Open gun is in the process of being built by my gunsmith and I compiled all the parts he preferred to work with and had confidence in. All the parts were pretty standard until he recommended an Ed Brown extractor instead of the widely popular Aftec product. Don't get me wrong, he liked the Aftecs. Having adhered to the advice that was given to me by many on this forum, I stuck with everything he liked and preferred to work with.

So, I'm not doubting the saavy of my gunsmith as he has built me a Limited & Single-stack 1911 that have un perfectly for me and I completely trust him. Now onto my question: have standard extractors (Brown, Wilson, etc.) caused that many issues in competition with Open guns? I'm just trying to find out what issues you folks were having so that it's not a surprise should some of these things happen to me. Also, please feel free to let me know if I am missing the boat on something. If my 'smith is confidant that a properly tuned Ed Brown extractor will work fine, so am I - I'm just dotting the "I's" and crossing the "T's".

Thanks for the help gang,

Brian

My smith (JPL) had me go with a regular type extractor (Ed Brown I think). Then he showed me the tool from Brownells and how to keep it tuned. I keep it checked after every match during my inspection and clean and (knock on wood) haven't had any problems. Not much experience with the Aftec, except it is in one limited gun I picked up second hand. I can't "tune" it like standard extractor - I guess you just replace springs.

~Mitch

I used standard extractors for years but I did have a lot of problems with ed brown, wilson bulletproof, and EGW extractors in my single stacks, limited, and open guns. They all required fitting and did require readjusting over time. After enough rounds it was not uncommon for them to stop holding tension and some broke at the hook at the worst times. 3 years ago I switched to Aftecs in ALL of my 1911 pattern guns and have been trouble free ever since.

My smith who is a very good and well known smith would not put an aftec in mine either. Less than a year later the extractor broke....in a match of course...... and I had to finish the stage as a single shot. I now have an aftec in it like my other guns. YMMV.

AL

From what I've seen AFTECs are pretty much fit and forget other than to make sure the springs aren't totally missing or have collapsed to the point that they don't provide tension any longer. I've put them in a couple of guns with zero tuning and they've worked perfectly. Standard extractors can work fine (my old, old Open gun still has one) but they do require a little attention from time to time. R,

I have aftecs in every one of my competition guns and my personal guns that 'matter'. I believe it is a better way. I also use them in every gun I build, it is one of the parts I won't compromise on. I will fit a standard as a back up but the gun will deliver with an aftec in it. IMO the Caspian and SV are as good or better than any of the other standard extractors.

+10 on the fit and forget. i've had one in a gun for 7 years and never even changed the springs. in fact, i never take it out to clean since they are a pain to put back in...and the gun runs all the time-never, ever an extraction issue. worth their weight in gold in my book. have 'em in all my guns.

My Aftec just started to fail after about 25k on it. It's starting to slip over the brass and the hook

is "real" polished (shiney), but I guess they are warranteed ?? Already changed springs..

But Yes, my stock extractor broke the hook in 5k in that gun so the Aftec is fit and forget for

some time, not "one" fault till now...

Edited by P.Pres

The original AFTEC extractor bodies were harder than the hinges on the doors to hell. The newer ones, not so much. After 10K rounds, I have a noticeable (ie, I can see it with my naked Mark I eyeball) groove across the face of the extractor hook from brass sliding up its surface. The original one I had, back in the day, went 32K without any maintenance at all, minus cleaning. No new springs, no adjustment or re-dressing the hook face, or anything. None of the current ones I have can go more than 8-10K w/o replacing springs. I like the design a lot, but the current materials don't seem to be what the older ones were, exactly...

My 'smith asked me to try out a normal extractor, so I'm learning how to adjust those, etc. Should be entertaining.

My suggestion would be to consider going w/ what your smith suggests - but you should feel free to ask him why, either way. ;)

but I guess they are warranteed ??

If you haven't modified it, according to the warranty info that comes with the aftec.

My smith also went back from the aftec to a traditional extractor. I'm planning on getting and fitting the aftec as a back-up.

Edited by al503

The original AFTEC extractor bodies were harder than the hinges on the doors to hell. The newer ones, not so much. After 10K rounds, I have a noticeable (ie, I can see it with my naked Mark I eyeball) groove across the face of the extractor hook from brass sliding up its surface. The original one I had, back in the day, went 32K without any maintenance at all, minus cleaning. No new springs, no adjustment or re-dressing the hook face, or anything. None of the current ones I have can go more than 8-10K w/o replacing springs. I like the design a lot, but the current materials don't seem to be what the older ones were, exactly...

My 'smith asked me to try out a normal extractor, so I'm learning how to adjust those, etc. Should be entertaining.

My suggestion would be to consider going w/ what your smith suggests - but you should feel free to ask him why, either way. ;)

I've got 4 guns with OLD, AFTEC extractors and they are fit and forget. I've seen and played with a couple of the new ones and are less than impressed. The metal is far from the same quality as the old ones were made with some ridiculous hard steel.

If I have a new gun built and can't find an old version, I'll be going to a standard extractor.

Rich

Some years ago I had a local smith who was working on our guns who would NOT install an Aftec. When I asked him why he explained that the folks selling them claimed that the warranty was void if he modified it in ANY way. So since he could not fit it or even polish up the surfaces of the hook without voiding the warranty, he would not work with them. I have since confirmed with Derek that is no longer the case.

I have run standard extractors for all of my guns and have never experienced any issues. My old Open gun went 12 years before I retired the gun due to a slide crack. Gave me a good reason to build a couple of 9 majors.

So since he could not fit it or even polish up the surfaces of the hook without voiding the warranty, he would not work with them.

At that point in time, the hook was pre-prepped and polished, and the extractor would fit a slide that met normal 1911 tolerances... ;) So, fitting/hacking was not required. The reason for it was that people would mangle the hell out of one, and then want it replaced when it didn't work (after they mangled it)....

Then he showed me the tool from Brownells and how to keep it tuned.

Which tool are you using to adjust the extractor tension? This one?

I'm learning to use the Weigand extractor tensioning tool. I have been adjusting the extractor tension by trial and error, mostly error, bending the extractor in the extractor tunnel. :lol:

Thanks,

Rick

Yep...that's the tool. Used to bent extractors in the tunnel...but after using this tool, never looked back. Someone here published a cheaper way to create/fabricate a simple tension tool.

As for Aftec, minor fitting required(firing pin block, and sometimes the springs). Other than that, certainly fit and forget with the exception of having to replace the springs(eventually). I prefer regular extractors, because I hate relying on springs...but that doesn't mean, I don't take the extractors out and check for tension, and that I don't use it. :) but that's just me.

I personally, love the Brazos extractors.

I've seen and played with a couple of the new ones and are less than impressed. The metal is far from the same quality as the old ones were made with some ridiculous hard steel.

Rich

That's what i didn't like about the old version. If you had to adjust the tension a little it was just about impossible with that hard ass metal.

The new one is still hard but not so hard that you can't bend it a little if you have to, and it maintains the tension very well.

Derek got this one right.

If you want to use the standard model, the brazo's stuff is hard to beat.

Edited by ong45

:surprise:

Aftecs are ok, I havent had any complaints that I can think of with the 9mm major guns, In my(personel)

guns I only use the Dawson extractors they have a longer vetical hook than any of the other ones

that I know of, This helps with 9mm and super comp type brass.

Once ya get your extractor tuned, leave it alone except for cleaning, as long as your brass is

gettin out of the gun 3 or 4 feet your ok. I do look at the extractpr

tunnel in new builds pretty close and use a small flex hone to cleans them up, most extractor

tunin take a "wee" bit of experience to do right and each gun caliber is a animal of its own.

Jim/Pa :devil::roflol: