Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Extractors Vs. Everything Else

BN91205

:surprise:

Aftecs are ok, I havent had any complaints that I can think of with the 9mm major guns, In my(personel)

guns I only use the Dawson extractors they have a longer vetical hook than any of the other ones

that I know of, This helps with 9mm and super comp type brass.

Once ya get your extractor tuned, leave it alone except for cleaning, as long as your brass is

gettin out of the gun 3 or 4 feet your ok. I do look at the extractpr

tunnel in new builds pretty close and use a small flex hone to cleans them up, most extractor

tunin take a "wee" bit of experience to do right and each gun caliber is a animal of its own.

Jim/Pa :devil::roflol:

Jim,

You let my secret out of the bag :surprise:

Same reason I use the Dawson in my 9Major's

Alan

Standard. Knock on wood. Not a single problem ever.

Edit to add. Funny thing happened today regarding extraction. Benny just sold his personal gun to a friend. Built a new gun for himself and - in the white JUST fitted together - took it out this afternoon to check function. Benny was getting another gun out to test fire and told me to run several mags through the gun to just "check it out.." Had a failure to eject the first mag. Brass stayed stuck under the hook. It was throwing the brass right over the front sight. Had another failure to eject the 3rd mag. Benny saw the last three or 4 shots fired out of it....he takes it from my hand and puts it back in the truck commenting as he does so...." Guess I should put an ejector in it before I shoot it anymore."

You KNOW how hard I laughed at him over that. :roflol:

Edited by Merlin Orr

Great discussion guys! Really appreciate the input. Looks like I'm going with my 'smith's advice and will use whatever parts he prefers to work with. That Dawson extractor seems like it might be the ticket though, definitely gonna have to look at that one now.

Thanks again,

Brian

Then he showed me the tool from Brownells and how to keep it tuned.

Which tool are you using to adjust the extractor tension? This one?

I'm learning to use the Weigand extractor tensioning tool. I have been adjusting the extractor tension by trial and error, mostly error, bending the extractor in the extractor tunnel. :lol:

Thanks,

Rick

That is the one I use.

BK

Great discussion guys! Really appreciate the input. Looks like I'm going with my 'smith's advice and will use whatever parts he prefers to work with. That Dawson extractor seems like it might be the ticket though, definitely gonna have to look at that one now.

Thanks again,

Brian

Brazos has a good one too. Look here http://www.1911store.com/extractorbcg-pros...mancetuned.aspx

BK

I have used the Aftec Extractor since 1998 and never had any need to use another extractor.

So when Pat decided to sell the company

I was lucky to become the new owner of Aftec extractor.

I do consider the extractor and its reliability to be the heart of your firearm, when properly tuned, it will give your gun trouble free extraction for years to come without having to tweak it every few thousand round or just fail in the midst of a stage.

Unlike conventional extractors, the Aftec is machined hardened extractor. It does not bend back and forth with each round, which causes metal fatigue and breakage in conventional extractors. Once the extractor is set, the job of springing back and forth is left to the unique springs, not the extractor. This allows us to use a much better quality of metal that provides much better reliability. Extractor breaking during a major match is a PITA, the longer they last the better.

I personally can attest to about 100k plus on one extractor in my own gun. Most of the top shooter have them in their guns, Todd, Taren, Max, K.C., Travers, Mike Voigt, Shannon Smith…. just to name few. Some of these shooters claim to have over 150k on their guns.

As with any custom part, some will need minor tweaking or tuning due to variations in slide specs and dimensions, such as the extractor tunnel, breach face width, unlocking of your barrel, length of disconnector track etc…….

On the issue of material and hardness of the extractor, I can assure everyone that we are using the Original Machine shop and the Material that is used is the Original material that was used from Day One with certification data sheet delivered with each shipment. Hardness is between 52-55 OE specs.

On the issue of failing extractors we did have a batch of extractors having too much of radius on the hook due to manufacturing error, brownells had sold few of them before we were able to recall and correct the issue.

If anyone has an issue with extraction after installing Aftec, I will be more than happy to look at it and take corrective action.

I can honestly say that this is the best extractor you can put in your gun. That said I do not proclaim that it’s the answer to all gun ills.

Derek

After trying other brands of extractors to get a 9mm open gun to run I tried an Aftec. I had a hard time initially reasoning it out due to cost. I figured I could buy a couple regular extractor's for the price of an Aftec. Well I kept having regular extractors in the 9mm gun not just quite right. So I bought one and put it in the gun. Needless to say it fixed the extraction and the gun running the way I wanted it to. Not a lot of tuning, not a lot of playing, fitted it just like the directions say and well it worked. So now all of my open guns get the Aftec.

So I built a single stack 9mm. Once again I figured I have a couple regular extractors around. Shot it some and just was not happy with the pattern I was getting. I would occasionally get a piece of brass that popped out in an odd manner. So I throw an Aftec in it and bingo perfect ejection pattern.

Now at the same time. I built a .40 limited gun and an ed brown extractor and it just runs perfect. Great ejection, great reliability. I can't complain about a thing.

I believe with the 9mm there is something to be said for the AFtec.

The only comment I would make about "install and forget" is to periodically clean them. I have seen a couple where the channel gets full of gunk fail to extract. But we're talking many thousands of rounds. One was so full it almost wouldn't come out. Once cleaned, they functioned perfectly. I think it may have happened to Lisa Munson at one of the nationals (was in the Front Sight) too.

I run one in my millenium custom limited gun and will probably switch to one in my Kimber. No problems at all.

I have seen a couple where the channel gets full of gunk fail to extract.

Takes me 1400 rounds w/ my current load to hit that level of crud... ;)

I think it may have happened to Lisa Munson at one of the nationals (was in the Front Sight) too.

Lisa was running an SV extractor. I don't remember exactly what the issue was (it was explained in the Front Sight issue) - some kind of sharp edge on the extractor that was shaving brass which would then accumulate in the extractor tunnel...

I have used the Aftec Extractor since 1998 and never had any need to use another extractor.

So when Pat decided to sell the company

I was lucky to become the new owner of Aftec extractor.

I do consider the extractor and its reliability to be the heart of your firearm, when properly tuned, it will give your gun trouble free extraction for years to come without having to tweak it every few thousand round or just fail in the midst of a stage.

Unlike conventional extractors, the Aftec is machined hardened extractor. It does not bend back and forth with each round, which causes metal fatigue and breakage in conventional extractors. Once the extractor is set, the job of springing back and forth is left to the unique springs, not the extractor. This allows us to use a much better quality of metal that provides much better reliability. Extractor breaking during a major match is a PITA, the longer they last the better.

I personally can attest to about 100k plus on one extractor in my own gun. Most of the top shooter have them in their guns, Todd, Taren, Max, K.C., Travers, Mike Voigt, Shannon Smith…. just to name few. Some of these shooters claim to have over 150k on their guns.

As with any custom part, some will need minor tweaking or tuning due to variations in slide specs and dimensions, such as the extractor tunnel, breach face width, unlocking of your barrel, length of disconnector track etc…….

On the issue of material and hardness of the extractor, I can assure everyone that we are using the Original Machine shop and the Material that is used is the Original material that was used from Day One with certification data sheet delivered with each shipment. Hardness is between 52-55 OE specs.

On the issue of failing extractors we did have a batch of extractors having too much of radius on the hook due to manufacturing error, brownells had sold few of them before we were able to recall and correct the issue.

If anyone has an issue with extraction after installing Aftec, I will be more than happy to look at it and take corrective action.

I can honestly say that this is the best extractor you can put in your gun. That said I do not proclaim that it’s the answer to all gun ills.

Derek

This is why I love this board. You get EXPERT insite into stuff like this. Thanks Derek for posting.

Double tap 2009, my first stage of fire, I had 2 failures to extract with an conventional extractor. my buddy Duke and I ended up having to tweak it so it would work the rest of that match. When I got back home, I installed the AFTEC. I have had ZERO problems after making the change.

Howard also told me he was going to install an AFTEC in the 6" pistol he built me. I wasn't crazy about it, but as Howard said before he wouldn't install anything else, so I didn't have a choice. To date, I have had exactly ZERO issues with that extractor set up in my limited gun. I'm glad Howard forced me into taking that AFTEC.

Thanks for posting Derek, great product. I had a conventional extractor fail in the middle of my last stage at Area 2 3 years ago. Gun went single shot and I went home to learn how to fit Aftecs :)

Edited by larry cazes

• 2 weeks later...

Well lets set a few things straight. The Aftec is probably the single most installed replacement part

out there that solves extraction problems "everytime". Mine had some issues after 25k without a hicup

(it replaced a conventional that failed in 3k). I am sure that all it needed was an inner corner/hook recut and it

would be good to go for another 25k but who cares, they are warranteed, and after contacting Derek, he hooked me

up with a brand new one with no questions asked. He just wanted to inspect my old one for any gunsmith modifications.

What else could you want !! :cheers::cheers: