Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun choice

lugnut

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started shooting a Glock in Limited. But have enjoyed shooting STIs more. I'm not sure why...other than they are cooler IMHO. ;) And their support of the sport and contigency program is awesome. I don't see many Glocks on prize tables.. <_<

Jay11.jpg

Jay10.jpg

I don't see many Glocks on prize tables.. <_<

You probably aren't looking close enough then. Glock puts out certificates...for new Glocks...instead of physically putting the gun on the table. From what I have seen, they put out a fairly good amount of them. I see plenty of Springfield XD's and S&W's M&P's too.

I think it's fair to say that any company that will get mentioned here has stood behind the shooting sports.

Of the three major matches I have attended this year there has been none... Certificates will never compare to cold hard products either. I'm just sayin... ;)

I'm just saying...you are making a blanket statement that is unfair.

To suggest that Glock doesn't support the shooting sports is wrong. I've been to many major matches and didn't see an STI, but I'm not going to suggest that STI doesn't support the shooting sports based on that.

And, not just Glock. As I mentioned, we see support from all the gun makers that fall within our little world. STI has a very nice program, but they are not alone in supporting the shooting sports.

Don't know how to post pictures or I would! I have a unique problem so my thumb safety is unique. It would be nice to be able to post pixs so people could see. I have heard of another person who could have used my TS.

FWIW

Richard

PS: Nice pictures by the way...makes me want to raid the bank account!

Edited by chirpy

Folks....in staying in the spirit of the question (and the forum)...how about posting what you like about your gun.

If we get into a "my gun is better than your gun" spiral, then we end up outside the realm of usefulness...and outside the forum rules, for that matter.

Folks....in staying in the spirit of the question (and the forum)...how about posting what you like about your gun.

If we get into a "my gun is better than your gun" spiral, then we end up outside the realm of usefulness...and outside the forum rules, for that matter.

Trigger. Trigger, trigger, trigger. Trigger trigger. Did I mention the trigger?

Oh yeah, the sight radius on the 6"er is pretty sweet, too.

I had a Para frame built into a limited gun and was happy. Then I stumbled onto a very good buy on a used SVI that came with holster, mag pouches and mags. So I just had to try it out. The Para now sits in the safe. I like the way the SVI shoots and handles much better. And besides it has nice looking grips. And in keeping with the others that posted pics of their SVs -- here's mine.

post-6529-1242272232_thumb.jpg

post-6529-1242272496_thumb.jpg

I shoot an STI. I've owned and used Tanfolios, Glocks and M&P's, but none of them compare to my custom STI's. The 2011s have much better triggers than any of the other guns, much better accuracy than the glocks and M&Ps I've had, less recoil than the glocks and M&Ps because of the extra weight, and are more reliable than any other guns I've had. I broke alot of slide stops in my Tangfolio, had several light primer strikes with my M&P, and even with a trigger job, the glock triggers still suck when you are used to 1911 triggers.

For me, there is no other platform that is equal to a 1911 based Hi-cap for limited competition.

Trigger. Trigger, trigger, trigger. Trigger trigger. Did I mention the trigger?

What he said. ;)

I voted for the STI platform. I picked up a Dave Dawson built limited gun from a shooter getting out of the sport. My previous shooting experience was with P-35s and 1911s. The 2011 just feels right to me.

Rick

i499_DawsonLtd_sm.jpg

Edited by R A Miller

I own a custom built STI for the same reason that I hand built my last few Jeeps from the axles up. It makes me happy to have something that someone lovingly crafted to be perfectly functional.

There nothing wrong with a Honda CBR, but I'd rather ride a Bimota Tesi 3D.

Here's what Bimota says about themselves:

'In a time of highly competitive markets, wholly subject to the pressures of globalization, values like genuine Passion, Talent, Skill, Courage and maniacal Love for perfection often seem to belong to an altogether different world. Exactly these values are what we are all about at Bimota.'

Edited by Seth

The handgun certificate is MUCH better than the handgun sitting on the table. It allows you to pick the gun you want and it dosent require shipping the gun to a dealer. Since handguns can only be purchased in state of residence its easier to give a certificate for the out of staters and dosent require a dealer to deal with all the paperwork at the shoot. Get your paper and glock sends your dealer a gun or pick it up at a LEO dealer

I have only a Glock 35 and have the option to shoot Production, Limited, L-10 and Open with the same gun. So that makes it very useful for a financially challanged college student. I also love how simple and few parts a glock has. I live by the moto "Keep It Simple Stupid"!!

I think I pretty much own, or have shot about everything out there, and the STI platform is what I like best.

I picked up a lightly used 6" "fat free" here last year and like it so much that I'm having another 6" built.

Now I wish I could use a 6" for single stack, and IDPA too :D !

The EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Limited is also a very effective Limited Division player as well. It is also a cheaper platform for a new shooter to get a whole Limited setup up and running for competition compared to the STI/SVI options out there. I also agree that its all about the Indian and not so much the arrow. Of course the Arrow must function correctly, but if the Indian behind it isn’t wielding it correctly it does not matter what arrow he is using.

Shoot what you like and put more focus on improving your shooting skills. If your shooting skills are 100% solid then it won’t matter what gun you choose to shoot.

Brazos tuned STI Edge, .40 with a lightened slide. I love the light crisp trigger of 2011/1911 pattern pistols and the wide variety of aftermarket parts. The 2011 indeed "just feels right".

Glocks are great guns to start the sport with; boringly reliable, cheap enough and game parts are plentiful. Get the best gun you can afford and shoot the hell out of it.

I love them all. Glock just represents a value to me. A big one. I'm a run of the mill B shooter in Limited. The perfect 2011 build coupled with the best trigger and tuned mags make me a...run of the mill B shooter. :) Just a value thing for me.

Jim

I voted Other.

I have had the very same Para P14 that I started with for Limited since 1996. I do not own another Limited gun and outside of a few rounds less capacity, I do not need to. It handles and shoots perfectly.

I started with a G35, but quickly decided I could shoot much better (for me) with a 2011... maybe if I'd done trigger work, sights, etc., I would have been happy with the Glock, but since the other was available, can't go back now.

I voted STI. I started out with a CZ75 Tactical Sport, and they are excellent limited guns at half the cost of an STI and make no mistake they are very reliable.

So Why STI?

I shoot the STI Edge because it will shoot Precision Moly coated bullets and I can load them long, this produces one soft shooting round. I have two loads I use WST 4.7g with 185gr precision loaded to 1.19 or 4.3 gr of N320. These loads shoot soft and make power factor. With the CZ I had to use Jacketed bullets, with the 180 it took 5.2gr of WST to make major, that extra powder makes the gun rock too much for me. I could shoot the lead bullets in the CZ but spending hours with a chore boy cleaning the lead out was just too much for me.

If you are shooting a hinged trigger gun give the CZ 75 TS a ride you will love it. If you are a sliding trigger shooter stick to the sliding triggers.