Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier too high?

rtr

I'm currently at %75 in Limited. Today I shot a %92 classifier (mini mart). Is it likely/possible that it won't be counted as one of my 6? I thought I've read a rule or something to this effect but I can't find it.

I'm pretty sure it will count. If I remember how it works, it's only if it's 15% over your class. So, since you are in A, it would be 15% over 85% and 5% below, thus anything you shoot from 70% to 100% would count for you (as long as it doesn't knock you to a lower class).

A few years ago as a B class production shooter (65%) I shot an 88% on "Ironsides". It counted. I also shot that one pretty well in Limited as I recall...

Why wouldn't it have counted? B class is 60-75% + 15% = 90%. 88% is within the 15% rule.

I'm currently at %75 in Limited. Today I shot a %92 classifier (mini mart). Is it likely/possible that it won't be counted as one of my 6? I thought I've read a rule or something to this effect but I can't find it.

Page 7 of the 4th Edition of the Classification Course Book, available @ http://www.uspsa.com/classifiers/index.html

( Direct PDF link: http://www.uspsa.com/classifiers/NCCB_4ed_2008.pdf )

Full explanation of classification rules and procedures in there, includes:

A - Scores that are more than 15 percent above the member's classification bracket may be given an “A” flag and not used for classifications. Reasons for assigning an “A” flag include seeing evidence that the stage was not set up or run correctly, or if all the member’s scores on file are significantly lower than the one being entered. For example, if a C-class shooter has no scores higher than 65 percent, it is likely that a 95 percent score will be flagged with an “A.” This is done to prevent the member from being moved to a class higher than the member can reasonably be expected to perform.

A few years ago as a B class production shooter (65%) I shot an 88% on "Ironsides". It counted. I also shot that one pretty well in Limited as I recall...

Why wouldn't it have counted? B class is 60-75% + 15% = 90%. 88% is within the 15% rule.

Thanks for pointing that out Matt. I was thinking the rule was >15% above your current classification, instead of upper end of your class.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm sitting at 61% in Production and have been hitting it hard lately. I put up a 100% on Steely Speed VII with a 4.11sec run....I'm gonna be real unhappy if it gets flagged!

Well....as a great friend pointed out, I had just done the math for El Prez and calculated 60 points instead of 30....oh well, I guess i don't have to worry about an 82% getting flagged! lol

Edited by Rangertim

That should count. When I got back into USPSA, one of my first classifiers was 94% (El Pres), and it counted, and I was only a B in Limited at the time. R,

It could be flagged with an A. The flagging will kick the classifier out to be hand verified. If all scores are well above average then there will be a question of the classifier being set up wrong. If MOST scores are within the appropriate range for the shooters, then the decision is that the classifier was set up right and you just had a great run. Once verified it will be a valid score.

Congrats!! :cheers: :cheers:

I'm having the same problem. Haven't shot production in years but with .40 bullets so high broke out the old g17. I'm a high B in limited (need one more good run for A) but C in production. I don't even shoot much USPSA mostly steel, GSSF, and NRA-AP. SO I'm sure I've improved in the 3-4 years since I shot production. I shot steely speed VII 06-10 in 3.18 with 30 points 9.434 HF and it was disallowed I e-mailed and pled my case. we'll see. I am in fact the most inconsistent shooter in the world I'll either score well or crash and burn but I did shoot this one and it sucks if they disallow it.

• 2 weeks later...

As an A class shooter, it is not likely but possible that you could shoot one classifier above 100%. It already would not count because of the 15% rule, but the USPSA staff would also likely treat it as a mistake, either by the timer RO or in the stage setup. Entering a score over 100% would make it one of the top 3 scores and would affect everyone's score from then out. This happens usually when a GM tops a previous GM score, and sometimes when a Master class shooter is moving up, so it is unlikely that a decision to disallow a 100+ score by an A class shooter would be reversed.