Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOST COMMON BULLET WEIGHT IN 9mm FOR USPSA PRODUCTION

Jachin

Greetings to all,

I'm a newbe to USPSA production and I'm about to buy a batch of bullets. My question is, what is the most popular bullet weight shot by the pros or most shooters in production? I read a lot about the heavy bullet with fast burning power reduces recoil. So should I go with 147's, 135's or 124's? Montana Gold has a 124, 130 and a 147. I have to check Zero.

Many thanks,

Jachin

Greetings to all,

I'm a newbe to USPSA production and I'm about to buy a batch of bullets. My question is, what is the most popular bullet weight shot by the pros or most shooters in production? I read a lot about the heavy bullet with fast burning power reduces recoil. So should I go with 147's, 135's or 124's? Montana Gold has a 124, 130 and a 147. I have to check Zero.

Many thanks,

Jachin

Dave Sevigny shoots 147 gr out of his Glock 34.

Back here on terra firma, even C level shooters like myself like 147 gr Zero JHP over 3.3 grs of Titegroup, also in a G34 or 17.

Really depends. Some people like the heavy bullet's "push" recoil impulse over the snappier flip of lighter loads. People that shoot factory loads often go with the 115 gr. Many people swear by 124s, maybe a compromise that gives them the best aspects of both. Some people don't like the fact that the slide may feel a little more "sluggish" with the heavier bullets: personally, I bumped my loads up by about half a grain to get a little more slide velocity and avoid the rare stovepipe from a too-light load.

Good luck!

Curtis

I'm planning on loading 147s for my M&P Pro....I bought AA&A 147s (the load Sevigny mentioned above uses) and it's really soft feeling, knocks down steel great and is plenty accurate. 124s felt okay, but snappier and I didn't notice a difference any ability to get back on target quicker so I'll go with the softer feeling load. R,

Unless you are recoil sensitive(small frame, bad grip and stance), it really doesn't matter much which bullet wight you go with. You will be shooting Minor power factor loads in any case.

Find something that is easy to get, that you like, and that runs and groups well.

Unless you are recoil sensitive(small frame, bad grip and stance), it really doesn't matter much which bullet wight you go with. You will be shooting Minor power factor loads in any case.

Find something that is easy to get, that you like, and that runs and groups well.

+1

Just make sure what you get will feed. Try to avoid flat points.

As for the bullet weight, the lighter bullets will give you a more snappy feel. The heavier bullets will give you more of a sluggish slower feel.

I use:

125 JHP Zero

4.0 grs. Tite Group

1.130 OAL

134 Power Factor, I think

5" XD9

I'm planning on loading 147s for my M&P Pro....I bought AA&A 147s (the load Sevigny mentioned above uses) and it's really soft feeling, knocks down steel great and is plenty accurate. 124s felt okay, but snappier and I didn't notice a difference any ability to get back on target quicker so I'll go with the softer feeling load. R,

Bart,

Have you loaded and shot any of the 147gr bullets? I thought I might have read where the 147s tumble a bit out of the Pro. I was considering trying to work up a load for the 147 but thought I might have to also buy a different barrel to stabilize the heavier 147 bullet. I have shot some 124gr Montana Golds w/ 4.1gr of Titegroup which seems to work well. I should probably just shoot it because it works just fine but... the quest for the perfect setup always seems to call. :devil:

Mike

Bart,

Have you loaded and shot any of the 147gr bullets? I thought I might have read where the 147s tumble a bit out of the Pro. I was considering trying to work up a load for the 147 but thought I might have to also buy a different barrel to stabilize the heavier 147 bullet. I have shot some 124gr Montana Golds w/ 4.1gr of Titegroup which seems to work well. I should probably just shoot it because it works just fine but... the quest for the perfect setup always seems to call. :devil:

Mike

Mike,

I haven't loaded any just yet. I've shot factory Speer 147 GDHP's and the Atlanta Arms & Ammo 147gr JHP Team Glock load and didn't see evidence of tumbling with either one. In another thread I posted a nice 1.25" group I shot at 25yds with the AA&A out of my M&P Pro....works for me. I chronographed them on Sunday and posted the data in the reloading section along with a link to the post with a pic of the 1.25" group. Average was 910fps. I wouldn't be surprised if they might tumbe if the velocity gets too low, but so far, so good.....and 910fps works out to 133PF, so it's in the right ballpark all around. R,

Bart,

Mike

Mike,

I haven't loaded any just yet. I've shot factory Speer 147 GDHP's and the Atlanta Arms & Ammo 147gr JHP Team Glock load and didn't see evidence of tumbling with either one. In another thread I posted a nice 1.25" group I shot at 25yds with the AA&A out of my M&P Pro....works for me. I chronographed them on Sunday and posted the data in the reloading section along with a link to the post with a pic of the 1.25" group. Average was 910fps. I wouldn't be surprised if they might tumbe if the velocity gets too low, but so far, so good.....and 910fps works out to 133PF, so it's in the right ballpark all around. R,

Appreciate the info... probably saved me the $ for a new barrel! I'm going to have to load some and see how it feels.

Mike

I might agree with Flex... however- they DO feel wildly different to me- 115, 124 and 147 all at the same PF. To each his/her own. I liked the 124 for a while... now I'm using 147. I know some people that can't even tell the difference!

147's and 3.3gr TG as of late.

I like 124's and Clays too. (a lot)

Just depends on what bullet I can get the fastest.

Angus has had Zero 147 FMJ on hand...so there you go.

Jim

Many thanks for all opinions.

I think I'm going to go with the 124's. No big reason why, maybe a little safer or just a good place to start. I have heard that the 147's may have some issues relative to slow velocities. Being new to USPSA and new to reloading might just be a few to many new's in one place to master the physics behind the 147 just now. So I think 4 or 5 thousand 124's for now and adjust from there.

I hope I'm not changing the subject here but I noticed a number of JHP's mentioned. Why would a "hollow point" be favored over non hollow points? It looks like the JHP's are more expensive so there must be an advantage to justify the cost.

Jachin

big +1

my preferred load is a 147 hardcast lead over 3.something of 231. crono'ed around 140 pf.

about a year ago, loading up to go to our club match, I realized I didn't enough ammo, grabbed whatever factory ammo I had on hand, including 115, 124 and my 147 re-loads. during the match I mixed ammo in the same mag, and after it was all over, I couldn't tell the difference.

I can while shooting groups, but during the match I was more focused on hitting the targets and going thru the stage, than on recoil.

Many thanks for all opinions.

I think I'm going to go with the 124's. No big reason why, maybe a little safer or just a good place to start. I have heard that the 147's may have some issues relative to slow velocities. Being new to USPSA and new to reloading might just be a few to many new's in one place to master the physics behind the 147 just now. So I think 4 or 5 thousand 124's for now and adjust from there.

I hope I'm not changing the subject here but I noticed a number of JHP's mentioned. Why would a "hollow point" be favored over non hollow points? It looks like the JHP's are more expensive so there must be an advantage to justify the cost.

Jachin

JHPs have no exposed lead at the rear of the bullet, which is where it gets the hottest, IE they are the cleanest. :cheers: