Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOST COMMON BULLET WEIGHT IN 9mm FOR USPSA PRODUCTION

Jachin

• 4 weeks later...

My XD's didn't like 147 gr bullets. I switched to 124's and never looked back. I shoot 124 jhp from Precision Delta at 1.100 OAL behind 4.0 gr of Tightgroup for matches. For accuracy same bullet behind 5.4 of Power Pistol in my M&P, and 6.0 in my EAA limited.

My XD's didn't like 147 gr bullets. I switched to 124's and never looked back. I shoot 124 jhp from Precision Delta at 1.100 OAL behind 4.0 gr of Tightgroup for matches. For accuracy same bullet behind 5.4 of Power Pistol in my M&P, and 6.0 in my EAA limited.

Here's some XD data may save you some time and money

post-7446-1243699799_thumb.jpg

I started shooting 124's, then went to 147 for that softer feel, but after a few thousand of them I switched back to 124s. I've settled on 124s because I liked the feel in recoil better.

~Mitch

• 2 months later...

My son also uses 147 grain bullets, but for a different reason. Not trying to get scientific here, but if you compare the real scientific equation for kinetic entery to the simplyfied power factor equation, you'll see that the heavier bullet gives an advantage. This comes into play when trying to knock down steel, especially poppers. And if you pull the shot low, often a factory 115 gr bullet won't drop the popper, but the 147 does everytime. If you read the rules on how the poppers are calibrated, the 9mm has to hit the round area or HIGHER for it to be considered calibrated, right?

Our load is 4.0 gr of w231 over berrys 147 plated. 138 PF out of a G34

So I take it that nobody uses 115 gr? This is the 9 mm ammo that seems to be most available, at least around here.

And do these differences in weight affect scoring at all, at least for production division?

All the same diameter. The reason the lightest bullets, the 115 would tend to feel the snappiest is that they have to be loaded to the highest velocity of the three under discussion to make PF.

I also feel the 147s might take down a popper a little better/faster than the lighter bullets. YMMV.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

So I take it that nobody uses 115 gr? This is the 9 mm ammo that seems to be most available, at least around here.

And do these differences in weight affect scoring at all, at least for production division?

All the same diameter. [...]

LOL at my question, I guess when I asked that question I didn't really understand scoring all that well. I see now that you either get classified as "major" or "minor" but that scoring is adjusted based on those two classifications.

I guess the better question is, does factory 115 gr ammo ever fail to meet the minimum PF of 125 to qualify for a match?

All the same diameter. [...]

LOL at my question, I guess when I asked that question I didn't really understand scoring all that well. I see now that you either get classified as "major" or "minor" but that scoring is adjusted based on those two classifications.

I guess the better question is, does factory 115 gr ammo ever fail to meet the minimum PF of 125 to qualify for a match?

UMC and Blazer brass 115's both were right at 125pf when I tested them this week. That is just way to close.

I think that the 125 power factor floor for Minor...happening to work out where factory 115g 9mm meets it...is no coincidence.

Nobody will ever question your ammo at a local match if you are shooting factory 115g bullets.

If you are going to major matches (state level and up), then you'd be wanting to check out all your gear ahead of time..including chrono'ing ammo through your gun.

Feel free to buy 115g from local suppliers and have fun shooting your next match !

• 6 years later...

My son also uses 147 grain bullets, but for a different reason. Not trying to get scientific here, but if you compare the real scientific equation for kinetic entery to the simplyfied power factor equation, you'll see that the heavier bullet gives an advantage. This comes into play when trying to knock down steel, especially poppers.

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity * velocity

1/2 M V**2

By that the lightest bullets would be the best choice (if all bullets were loaded to the same power factor).

I think how the energy of the bullet gets spent might be more of a factor. The heavier and slower bullet seems to push the steel a bit better and the light bullets seem to bounce off, or perhaps the lighter bullet energy gets spent in very rapid deformation ? If you think about hitting the steel with a very slow moving basketball versus something like a 17 hmr I think the principle is the same but just exaggerated.

Old old thread, but I'm currently wondering about the same question (is there really a best bullet weight for steel if power factor is kept the same).