Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How far will you travel to shoot a match?

Just wondering how far you guys will go to shoot a major match?

Also will you drive or fly and why. I am trying to see if this summer I can get to some major matches but there aren't any in Florida at that time.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also will you drive or fly and why. I am trying to see if this summer I can get to some major matches but there aren't any in Florida at that time.

my girlfriend and i are going to probably fly from vegas to Albuquerque for the high desert classic (assuing I can talk her into it). Granted i'll be flying a little piper to the match so we wont have to deal with the typical airline hassles. I'm not sure how much of a pain that would be with putting a gun and ammo through the checkin process. That sounds like a real pain. I don't think we'd go fly to any matches on a regular basis if we had to deal with that.

my girlfriend and i are going to probably fly from vegas to Albuquerque for the high desert classic (assuing I can talk her into it). Granted i'll be flying a little piper to the match so we wont have to deal with the typical airline hassles. I'm not sure how much of a pain that would be with putting a gun and ammo through the checkin process. That sounds like a real pain. I don't think we'd go fly to any matches on a regular basis if we had to deal with that.

I travel for my business 2 or 3 times a year and since I have CWP from Florida and it reciprocates in almost all states that issue CWPs, I take my guns with me and 100 rds of ammo on the planes with no problem. My issue is if I go to shoot a match I would need to take my son also and his guns (no problem there) but with all the ammo, is it worth it, and how much hassle is it with all that ammo?

I'm from CA, and Several of the shooters from my club and I have shot matches at the S&W range in Springfield, MA.

My friends flew, but I drove since I was already in RI visiting the inlaws. However, a road trip hitting several matches on the way would be cool!

Another friend of mine shot the Worlds in South Africa years back, a couple of other shooters from my club shot revolvers for USA in South America.

My club hosts the Smith & Wesson International Revolver Championship every year, and the farthest competitors have come from Australia for the past few years.

Located in the Bay Area of northern California, a bunch of us from the RRGC Hot Shots, depending on work and family schedules, will meet at matches north to Wash State, down to SoCal, and east to Nevada, and some have gone to matches in Texas and Oklahoma, others to the WS in Bali.

In state, and to bordering states, I usually drive. Further requires flying.

Depends on time, money and interest.

Flying out of Vegas is no hassle, just make sure you follow the carrier's regs and you'll be fine. Southwest and US Airways got their act together.

From Pittsburgh PA, I've driven to PASA Park for the Nationals (-800 miles RT), and to Fredericksburg VA for a Sectional (~700 miles RT).

I've also flown to Tulsa for the Nationals there, but don't plan on doing that again. Flying with guns and shipping ammo ahead is a real PITA.

I've plans to drive to "3 days of Revolver" in Iowa over July 4th weekend this year, and to Memphis TN in October for an all revolver match down there.

Hello

I am shooting IPSC in Norway, i have traveled to the last 3 worldshoot 1st one was in South Africa (shooting standard), the second Equador (shooting open) and last year Bali (shooting Standard), of course is this some big competitions but have also been to France at the last Europeean championship.

This year i am going to EEO (Extreme Euro Open) 500 rounds in 3!! days. :surprise:

Best Regards

Rino

I live in Georgia last year I flew to NM for the High Desert Classic.

I can't make that one this year but I am thinking about the NM sectional.

I plan to fly to Cali for the World Steel Shoot.

I drove to the US Steel nationals this year 7 hours.

I drove to the ICORE Cup last year about 7 hours I think.

Friday I am driving to Birmingham for thr AL state championship shooting it turning around driving home to be at my home club the next day for our monthly steel match.

On the 22nd of May I am flying to Colorado for the steel match there.

• 2 weeks later...

I went 5466.987 miles from SoCal to Chelmsford, England to shoot a mini-rifle match. I did fly most of the way but the last 40 miles or so was in a stick shift Peugeot with the shifter on the wrong side.

I have driven from NJ to Tulsa, OK, Ft. Benning, GA, and Stowe, VT so far. I prefer to drive, but I've also flown to Tulsa and last week to Arkansas. If I wasn't signed up for CTI, I'd be flying to Vegas. If I had the time, I'd drive to Vegas. I actually like to drive, you get to see the country on the way as opposed to flying over it.

Jim