Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worth Going To Area 2 Champ To Watch???

I've only shot action pistol for a few months and was wandering if it would be worth it for me to got the the area 2 championships (I'm in So. Cal) just to watch the top shooters and check things out. I won't shoot for several reasons... 1. I don't like to make an A$$ out of myself :D 2. I won't have my new STI by then :( , and my Para 14-45 really doesn't work well for this sport. On the other hand it sounds like it would be fun to go and check things out. Any opinions???

Thanks!

Jeff

If you have the time and the money, then by all means go watch! It is one of the better matches around and there will be TONS of talent there.

However, if you've got that extra time and money, I stronly recommend that you shoot the match, not just watch it. There is nothing else on earth like participating in your first big match, you WILL have the time of your life!

Two years ago I shot area 2 after being in the sport a couple of months.

I was on a great squad. I did not feel I made an ass of myself by being the most inexperieced person there [heck I can do that for any reason at anytime-at least my wife and daughter think so]

This is a great match. People/shooters/ROs are nice to be around. The range is very cool. There are stand and shoot, run and gun, and wacky stages. The talent at the highest level attends the match but there is a great cross-section of all classes.

If you are going to the expense of coming out by all means spend a little extra and shoot the match. In my very limited experience, this is the one match to shoot. You will not regret it.

I could not stand to be there and not shoot the match. I've only been to Area 2 one time but it was a great match, wonderful staff, fun stages. I would go crazy watching others have all the fun. Take your Para and shoot L10 is my vote.

Go to a match and not shoot? Are you nuts? I don't care how bad you suck grab the gun and blast away. The only way to get better is to do, so get out there and shoot! No one cares about how you shoot, they are too worried about how they shoot :) You can make up all the excuses you want, but until you fail a few hundred times, you can not succeed.

Upside of not shooting the match: you can follow around and watch whoever you want.

Downside: you'll be sitting there saying "I wish I was shooting this" about a thousand times.

If you do shoot it, let your squad know you're new at big matches and they'll bend over backwards to get you going right.

I've only shot action pistol for a few months and was wandering if it would be worth it for me to got the the area 2 championships (I'm in So. Cal) just to watch the top shooters and check things out. I won't shoot for several reasons... 1. I don't like to make an A$$ out of myself  :D  2. I won't have my new STI by then  :( , and my Para 14-45 really doesn't work well for this sport. On the other hand it sounds like it would be fun to go and check things out. Any opinions???

Thanks!

Jeff

I shot the Limited Nationals in my first six months of shooting IPSC, and I shot it with an old used Para 14-45. This gun had been owned by several previous shooters, and had been shot hard. I was very intimidated at first, but tried to concentrate on this really being just a big club match (like a club match, but three days in a row), and making sure that I shot clean, and made no major mistakes. I was on a great squad, and I finished higher than I expected, and I had a blast.

Going into the next year I convinced myself that I could do much better with better equipment, so what did I do? I bought all the latest equipment, and had Johnny Lim build me a custom pistol on an STI frame. NOW I was really ready to kick butt!!

So how did that plan work out? I have never shot my racey special 40 cal STI as well as that old Para, and my classification percentage has fallen ever since. Is it a gun problem? Absolutely not. It's just that I was much more focused, and I practiced (both live and dry) on a very frequent basis with the Para.

Your Para is fine.... you will be fine.... go SHOOT the match and have fun. It ain't the pistol, it's the operator! ;)

If you are going to bother coming, you should at least take the opportunity to embarass yourself in front of a couple hundred of your friends, just like the rest of us! Just remember, everyone out there shooting thinks everyone else is watching them, but in truth we are almost always worrying our turn. So get out and have a go at it. Lessons learned from failure are more beneficial to your development than those learned from succes.

Rob

So get out and have a go at it. Lessons learned from failure are more beneficial to your development than those learned from succes.

Rob

WOW! :blink:

Should I ever hear HIM telling me something like that I'd jump on the first flight from Italy to wherever Area 2 is! ;)