Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Softest Shooting Powder for 147 Minor Loads

JeffWard

I've found that my M&P PRO definately prefers 147gr bullets accuracy-wise, and I've tried both Titegroup, and Bullseye, and developed nice soft loads, with the Bullseye (3.2gr)being a tad more accurate.

I've heard Titegroup is the best, Clays is the best, PowerPistol is the best, W2XX is the best.... Lots of claims, and a few theories.

Now, I have about 2500 147gr Zero JHPs lined up, and I'm low on powder. What powder should I buy next? What's your favorite under 147 JHPs, and WHY?

I'm shooting a 5" M&P PRO Series, with a 13lb spring and a Stainless Guiderod.

1) What powders have you found to shoot minor loads with 147s the softest, WITH GOOD ACCURACY?

2) What charge are you using?

3) Why, technically, do you think this is the best combo?

JeffWard

Edited by JeffWard

I like 3.8gr W231, 147gr Berrys, 1.130" COL, WSP. I use it with my G34 with 13lb recoil spring. I've tried Bulleye and Titegroup too. Power Pistol is great powder if you a looking for lots of recoil and flash. Not even in the same catergory as some of the other faster powders.

Edited by lugnut

I have personally tried Solo1000, Clays, and Titegroup. All under the same Precision Delta 147.

Clays is very iffy under a 147. Very high pressure. I think it's a much better load for a 124ish weight bullet, personally.

Check my Chrono data in the General Reloading forum. I've worked loads with both Solo1000 and Titegroup that were just a hair over 128 power factor. I currently have about 200 of the TGs left, and I'm cranking out the Solos for this summer whenever I have time. I've shot one then the other, stagger-loaded mags, etc.

Solo shoots softer. NOTICEABLY softer. And it's much more at home under a lead slug or moly, if you choose to go that way, like I have. I'd say Solo and Clays are equally soft, but Solo is more versatile, since I like my moly's for outdoor use.

Have you tested the Solo under JHPs?

I've gotten very similar "feel" between TG and Bullseye, but the Bullseye shot more accurately.

I saw the chrono data. What changes would you make shooting jacketed stuff?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

Give the solo100 a shot it really is a good powder, especially if you ever want to switch to a moly bullet. I have been using it with the montana gold 147 and find it shoots great in my M&P. If you get some and want to give it a try email me and I'll give you my formula.

I am running about 3.6 grns of Clays out of my 9L.

I tried a very similar load in a Glock 19 and liked it quite a bit, but at the time I was having trouble with consistent loads and Clays is not such a good choice if your loads are not consistent.

Reminds me that I need to try that combo again sometime.

VV 310 loaded to at least 1.130 or more for 147jhp jacketed bullets shows best accuracy for Minor PF

Solo 1000 with coated or lead 147s work really well and is cost efficient with very little smoke.

Titegroup is another light and accurate powder for the 147s, but it smokes like a locomotive, and is not worth the effort in my humble opinion......

All this info and load data is in earlier thread about "mousefarts" or something like that....LOL

DougC

Try 3.3-3.4gr of N320. Matches the Cap gun description Matt gave but it's pretty safe. I tried this back to back with Titegroup and the difference was amazing. The gun bounces a little with a G34. I like a little more snap so I run 124s which I can't tell a difference between the two powders with. The 147s though, there is something different.

I like W231, 147gr Berrys, 1.130" COL, WSP. I use it with my G34 with 13lb recoil spring. I've tried Bulleye and Titegroup too. Power Pistol is great powder if you a looking for lots of recoil and flash. Not even in the same catergory as some of the other faster powders.

Lugnut,

What charge are you using with 231?

Duh! I left out the most important part!! 3.8gr I think 3.7gr gets me to 125PF from my Glock 34 but I like the extra margin...

I like W231, 147gr Berrys, 1.130" COL, WSP. I use it with my G34 with 13lb recoil spring. I've tried Bulleye and Titegroup too. Power Pistol is great powder if you a looking for lots of recoil and flash. Not even in the same catergory as some of the other faster powders.

Lugnut,

What charge are you using with 231?

For the 147 I have used VV N340, N320 and Titegroup. Titegroup and N320 where the softest, but not by much. I quit using Tite because I found it not so tight in my CZ. I use 124/125's now with N320 and Ram. comp.

I tested various VV powders but for 9mm in quantity, just not worth the extra cost and difficulty to obtain. Titegroup works equally well in my G34 & 17 with 147 gr Zero JHPs. I've loaded it as low as 3.25 +/-, but now use 3.3 grains because once in a blue moon with the lower load, I might get the slide not to cycle properly if my thumb dragged on it a little or my grip was off. I actually find the 3.3 gr load runs the gun a little better and a tad better slide velocity/less sluggish feel.

Good luck!

Curtis

Hmmm, lets see what have I tried with 147gr rounds.

Titegroup

Solo 1000

Ramshot Comp

Universal Clays

IMR 7625

WST

N320

Well, that's the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Titegroup is the softest.

BTW, Solo 1000 is horrible, and I do not recommend it at all. So, all you stop buying it up, damn it. I can't find it anywhere. Maybe it's hiding with the zero bullets and primers <_< .

Edited by SA Friday