Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Way to Mark Mags

bbbean

What have you found to be the most effective way to mark your mags? The tables get pretty full sometimes, and I've seen someone pick up one of my mags (or done the same to someone else's) more than once.

pink nail polish? works for me.

Will nail polish hold up? I've tried sharpies and other markers, and they fade away within a couple of uses.

Hasn't chipped or faded in a year of matches. Even stood up to the sand and rocks at Texas State Limited.

Jack

I engraved my high price metal high caps.

I do the silver sharpie thing to number my Glock mags, and change the base pads to orange or blue (depending on caliber - keeps them straight for me).

I don't think I've lost more than one Glock mag in the past couple years, and never lost the high caps.

Depends upon the mags. Metal mags, Sharpee's seem to work fine, but on my Glock mags, the Sharpee wore off, especially when I cleaned them.. I found that Testors hobby paint works well, and hasn't worn off in 2 years.

Ryan

I numbered and put my initials on my mags with an engraver. Looks okay, serves the purpose of IDing them. I follow Bigdawg in the fact that I don't leave my mags anywhere on a stage except in my bag, belt or backpocket. After buying them (SVI tubes, Dawson basepads, Grams guts) and spending time tuning them they become expensive little suckers to just leave laying about.

CYa,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

Engraving looks nice, but is sooo permanent. What do folks think of it if you sell off your pistol?

I opted for a less permanent alternative, albiet requiring more maintenance. I put a small flourescent sticker (improves visibility when dropped on the ground) on each side of the mag body with my initals and mag number on it. They have lasted a year now without need of replacement, though I am sure at some time in the future they will need new stickers. They do not in anyway hinder the mag when inserted into the pistol.

For my glock mags with the taylor freelance base pads I put a small number sticker on them to number them. They are the ones that are for mailboxes but the small ones that are a square not the vinal ones that are just the number these have a background too. Looks nice and stays on the mag real well

Engraving looks nice, but is sooo permanent. What do folks think of it if you sell off your pistol?

I opted for a less permanent alternative, albiet requiring more maintenance. I put a small flourescent sticker (improves visibility when dropped on the ground) on each side of the mag body with my initals and mag number on it. They have lasted a year now without need of replacement, though I am sure at some time in the future they will need new stickers. They do not in anyway hinder the mag when inserted into the pistol.

Worse than names engraved on mags, custom serial numbers on guns. My Limited gun, STI Eagle, has the serial number "Tim G".

OBTW, I have no idea who Tim G is.

edited to add OBTW comment.

Edited by CenTX

if you sell off your pistol?

Despite what I tell my wife, I'm not sure I've ever sold a pistol. I've thought about it a few times, and even posted one or two on gunbroker, but I could never bring myself to pull the trigger, so to speak.

Worse than names engraved on mags, custom serial numbers on guns. My Limited gun, STI Eagle, has the serial number "Tim G".

I don't think it matters. CenTX you purchased the gun anyway with the serial number "Tim G" it did not stop you from buying it.

Just my .02

BK

I don't think it matters. CenTX you purchased the gun anyway with the serial number "Tim G" it did not stop you from buying it.

Just my .02

BK

I must be in the minority then, as It would have to be a steal for me to buy a gun with someone elses initials or name all over it. A serial number is a bit differant as it's a serial number, albiet a personalized one, I personly would pass on either.