Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tinnitus How many have it

I have had tinnitus for over 20 years. Recently it got really bad because I had been operating some farm machinery for about 8 hours and was plugged and muffed.

Overprotecting in my case makes my tinnitus go wild, it was the loudest it had ever been in my memory and persisted for almost 3 weeks before finally returning to prior levels.

There are no cures, there are no pills(except Xanax) that will make it go away. Most all of the current research has moved on to focusing that while hearing damage is definitely linked to tinnitus that the root of the problem is actually a neurlogical response, as you have likely read, your brain "filling in" noise it expects to be there. There is a complex set of things going on in your brain that allows you to, for example, hear yourself breath or hear your own heartbeat OR not hear those things and its believed that same mechanism is the basis for tinnitus.

I recently just got a set of esp electronic plugs and they are turned up in the area of my hearing loss(45% at 7500) and it really makes a difference.

Masking may or may not work for some, what does work for most though is habituation, which is you that you never allow yourself to be in total quiet or near quiet, you always need some noise, spoken word, music, pink or white noise at all times for 6 months or longer. That combined with relaxation will "turn it down" and make you unaware of your tinnitus unless you actually listen for it(see above, related to hearing your own heart beat/breathing).

If your tinnitus is severe, it will increase your anxiousness/anxiety. That loop in your brain is also complex and it is not easy to turn off which is why Xanax,if you can find a doc to give it to you, is incredibly helpful. Think of it this way, if your tinnitus is really bad,like in your head you are hearing 90db 24x7, you are going to be at your wits end, it is unavoidable. Anti-anxiety drugs, extremely low dose, turns that loop off and allows you to work on the habituation techniques.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One ear at around 6700 Hz. Use Xanax and Ambien for the first month or two to get through the "shock of having something incurable" stage. My ENT doesn't think tinnitus will ever get the proper level of funding to find a cure. Too much money going to research drugs for getting erections and growing hair.

I just took my annual Army physical. Have high freq hearing loss so I had to see the audiologist. Talked about tinnutis also - she suggested reducing caffeine intake to reduce the issue.

I just took my annual Army physical. Have high freq hearing loss so I had to see the audiologist. Talked about tinnutis also - she suggested reducing caffeine intake to reduce the issue.

Only insofar as it may reduce stress slightly. There is zero evidence that caffeine effects tinnitus either way.

Everyone is different and all that...maybe it will help you and that is great if it does.

There is massive lack of information in medical community on tinnitus.

Some cases resolve spontaneously, some cases occur spontaneously(If I recall 30% of people with tinnitus have zero hearing loss) so one think does not necessarily mean the other, which also is the reason that research has moved on to neurological treatment.

If you move your jaw does the pitch change? For most people it does and it gets considerably louder, again linking that no system in your brain stands alone, your vision effects how you hear because its part of how you localize where a noise is coming from.

I sound like a wet blanket and I really wish there were something new out there, but zinc, caffeine, magnesium, any supplement, virtually all drugs, etc...are non effectual. The only treatment that has any lasting effect take time, coping skills, and patience in large doses....

Drugs may not stop it, but they can certainly make it worse. Particularly antihistamines and some pain meds. Diet, stress, and muscle fatigue also play a big role. Best advice is to reduce those variables as much as possible. Not much you can do from there.

Mine's so bad that I sometimes wake up because I think I hear a ringing alarm clock - but two weeks ago, the VA told me I'm fine, claim denied. Must be OK, huh? <_<

FWIW, reducing my caffeine intake over the last few months didn't do diddly for it but running some PT a couple times each week seems to improve matters for a day or two.

Mark

Do any of you ever feel pressure in your ears. That's about the only way I can explain it, it's kinda weird.

Sometimes when its particularly amped up, feels like water in your ears type of pressure.

Only insofar as it may reduce stress slightly. There is zero evidence that caffeine effects tinnitus either way.

Everyone is different and all that...maybe it will help you and that is great if it does.

There is massive lack of information in medical community on tinnitus.

Some cases resolve spontaneously, some cases occur spontaneously(If I recall 30% of people with tinnitus have zero hearing loss) so one think does not necessarily mean the other, which also is the reason that research has moved on to neurological treatment.

If you move your jaw does the pitch change? For most people it does and it gets considerably louder, again linking that no system in your brain stands alone, your vision effects how you hear because its part of how you localize where a noise is coming from.

I sound like a wet blanket and I really wish there were something new out there, but zinc, caffeine, magnesium, any supplement, virtually all drugs, etc...are non effectual. The only treatment that has any lasting effect take time, coping skills, and patience in large doses....

When I got severe tinnitus back mid 90's, there was a doctor named Jastreboff who had success with TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) which uses white sound not to try to mask the sound but make the brain learn to ignore it. If the ringing and white sound always occur together at about the same volume level, the brain "labels" the ringing ans trivial noise and you hear it less. Anyway, they had some help with that approach.

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/tinnitus-retraining-therapy-an-update-1286

Edited by bountyhunter

I started taking daily iron supplements about 2 weeks ago. So far, no help. I'll report back in a couple more weeks...

Be careful with iron. It can be very hard on the stomach and intestines.

Will do - thanks. With no help in 2 weeks, I think I'm done with the iron.

That's worth reading

It is.

It is also important to point out that the only treatment the ATA endorses in any way is exactly that, retraining and habituation.

+1 Same thing my research said. There are some good "hearing aid" type of devices available that can do the therapy. I was a EE and specialized in audio design for a while. I built something with wireless headphones that had the TV sound in it that I could add white sound to while I listened to TV. Used it for a while.

Important to realize that this type of "retraining of the brain" therapy does not happen quickly.

Do any of you ever feel pressure in your ears. That's about the only way I can explain it, it's kinda weird.

I get a pressure or fullness in my ears that feels like a head cold or sinusitis but there is no sinus pressure. when this happens, all types of sound are magnified like I have my head in a bucket. I can also feel this when the barometric pressure changes and with small changes in elevation. My doc is now exploring Eustachian tube dysfunction, secondary hydrops and hyperacusis.

When the fullness in my ears occurs, the tinnitus and sensitivity to sounds is several times worse. Not louder, just more noticeable.

Edited by sierra77mk

Dietary changes, medications and supplements may not affect tinnitus directly but they do have an affect on the inner ear and may worsen or lessen the severity of, the or perception of tinnitus. I learned that most people with hyperacusis also have tinnitus, but not necessarily the reverse. `I thought they were the same thing until I read up and discussed the differences with another audiologist.

Salt, sugar, caffeine and alcohol change the fluid level of the body and the inner ear. TRT therapy is indeed the most successful treatment for the worst cases but small changes in diet can help the milder cases. My latest orders are reduce sodium, and only 1 cup of coffee a day.

This website explains some dietary changes and how they can help:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/menieres/hydrops.html

MSG and nutrasweet are huge triggers for my ears and must be avoided. Magnesium powder mixed in water "Natural Calm" does help me at night. Not by reducing the tinnitus per se, but it helps to relax and sleep better. Your tinnitus is as individual as you are. Everyone's physiology is different and trying different supplements may help but won't cure. I'll keep posting and maybe it will help others cope.

Reading this thread made mine worse.... (Made me aware of it) Otherwise I just ignore it :)

It does right?

Would it surprise you to learn that people that do tinnitus treatment develop tinnitus themselves or have sudden awareness that they have it as well but were blissfully unaware?

I have tinnitus.

I was in a 155 Howitzer unit for three years in the US Army. I didn't safeguard my ears. I taught FDC to a National Guard unit operating tracked artillery pieces for 6 months. At that point I started taking care of my ears.

Then I started flying GA aircraft and stopped taking care of my hearing. I flew around in the cockpits of 1960-1980's technology jet liners for over 20 years that put out about 85-90 dbs of noise. Fast forward to today, I wear a noise canceling headset and still suffer from tinnitus. It is especially bad if I am extremely fatigued. I have learned to "turn it off" but there is no doubt in my mind, my hearing is damaged and it is going to get worse as I age.

The noise canceling headset I wear today helps a great deal with the fatigue issue of it all but this is something that will never be repaired.