Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Premium 1911

atlscrog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two Baer's (Concept VI and a Premier II) and a Wilson CQB, as well as a Colt Gold Cup reworked by Clark. All are good shooters, but no kidding the Baers are tighter fit and smoother. I use the Concept VI for single stack.

While I would definately give the nod to LB for a store bought gun, if I was going to have a dedicated purpose built SS I would without a doubt go with a custom built, and Benny Hill would be my first choice.

I have a Nighthawk, Les Baer, and Wilson Combat. The LB is the most accurate but it is tight as hell. All are decent the fit on the LB is probably the best overall but they are all really close. I would go with either one and be happy. Don't bother with a full custom just yet. Spend the extra cash on mags, ammo, and training.

In my opinion, theres a huge jump between a $1800 1911 and a $2800 1911.

With the latter, theres no compromise in the parts quality. Or least there shoudnt be.

More than $3000 and youre paying for a name or fancy millwork. -which is more than justifiable in some cases.

For the $, Les Baers impress me.

I just picked up a custom Limited gun last week and am having a custom carry gun built as we speak. I have about 7 other customs and a fair amount of semi-custom and factory guns. Three of the guns are Les Baer and a Wilson, too. The only thing that a custom builder can do better is cosmetics...yes, make it pretty with a little line here and one there. If you just want a gun that will shoot where it is suppose to and shoot every-time you press the trigger....Les Baer will sell you one and you will have money left over for other important things such as mags and holsters.

Buddy

SV, Wilson, and Les Baer, in that order....I have the first (a 2011) and last; don't have a Wilson, but my stepfather has a couple, and I'm extremely impressed -- they feel great without the hand-hewn, hammer-tongs vibe of the Les Baer. Maybe Nighthawk, too?

I'm not sure I understand the point of a custom-build for a 1911 -- how can a small shop or individual compete with the above-mentioned companies? Some of the old Yo-Bo 1*'s were close (or over?) $2k, and built on low-end Springfield's. For over $2k I'd want to make sure I'm not getting a dressed up Caspian, or STI with some millwork. I could buy all the tool-steel parts myself, and a match barrel, forged frame and slide separately, THEN give them to a gunsmith, but again -- how I can I buy them cheaper than Les Baer or Wilson or SV can buy/make them??

I'm gonna give a +1 to custom. And I'll throw Millennium Customs' name into the ring. I'm very happy with mine.

singlestackpics002.jpg

singlestackpics001.jpg

Not to hi-jack the thread, but who manufactures these SS magwells? I like 'em!

Brian

• 4 months later...

I own several variations of all the major semi-custom makers and for my money, Rock River (if you can find one), followed closely by Baer are hard to beat. Ed Brown, Nighthawk and Wilson Combat are fine also but more $.

Custom builds are very nice but money and wait times are negatives if you are not interested in finding used.

Edited by m1normando

I'm tossing another twig in the fire. A few weeks back I bought a STI Lawman Single Stack forty-five. I cannot believe how accurate it shoots. I don't know if all of them are this accurate, but this one shoots.

As soon as the weather cools a tad I'm going to put it in the Ransom Rest and see what this pistol will do.

Buddy

I'm tossing another twig in the fire. A few weeks back I bought a STI Lawman Single Stack forty-five. I cannot believe how accurate it shoots. I don't know if all of them are this accurate, but this one shoots.

As soon as the weather cools a tad I'm going to put it in the Ransom Rest and see what this pistol will do.

Buddy

My STI Trojan is also crazy accurate. I really couldn't believe it when I first tried it....and that's with what is essentially a $75 barrel. Derek put a new Schuemann AET in it for me mostly because I get Schuemann barrels free. I can't wait to see how it'll do with a premium barrel in it. No, it's not a full custom gun, but at this point the only thing original is the frame and slide and they were fit extremely well from the factory. Everything else that I can think of save the plunger spring and sights have been replaced. I expect it'll run just as long and just as well as any $3k full custom, but I would have a bit over $2K in it now if I'd paid for the barrel. I was going to go full custom, but needed it quicker than the wait time would have been. R,

+ one with HSMITH on the LB Premier II. I just sent my entry in to American Handgunner for the one they are giving away. Its featured in the Sep/Oct Issue.

It will need a TecWell and a Daswon Fiber Optic front sight before it goes out to compete in a SS USPSA meet.

But then I wouldn't pay $50,000 for an Esclade just to get dead animal seat covers when the Tahoe gets there just as fast for $20,000 less.

My SS is one of the cheapest guns I own. I won it at the Gator Last year. Built by Bruce Warren at BC Armory, Caspian frame and slide, it rocks.

Having handled and shot most of the 1911's mentioned in previous posts, to this day the sweetest 1911 I haver ever shot was a Valtro. The gun was flawless.

However the LB P2 is a very nice gun once broken in. Also I have a Nowlin Crusader in 40s&w that is pretty special.

I've never fired a Wilson, so I'm unquilified to voice my opion about those guns but I've shot most everything else mentioned in this thread. I have an Ed Brown (Special Forces Commander Bobtail) which I love. Were I to get another high end 1911, I'd get another Ed Brown.

IF you're leaning towards an EB, be sure to check out Gunbroker.com first, as you can get new EB's from shops that list there and save a few hundred rather than going directly to EB.

Good luck

THG :cheers:

It's not a top of the line 1911, but I love my Springfield Trophy Match. Shoots great, very accurate, very tight. And at around $1,200, you could buy two, one in .40, one in .45, or one and ton of ammo, mags, holsters, or for that matter, a really, really good after market barrel. I think that once the weapon gets to certain point, you are paying more for a name than a product.

Those that own Baers are extremely happy with them,

Not everyone.

A friend bought a Les Baer and a .45 case head rupture cracked the frame in 6 places - to the point where the mainspring fell out of the frame with the retaining pin intact. Les explained that this sort of damage was normal for a case head rupture, but he stands behind his work so he would offer $50 off the price of a new gun. The brass case head showed the typical rupture where the brass blew out at the unsupported part near the head. There was no indication or barrel obstruction or blowout beyond this one part of the case.

The frame was sent to a metallurgical research lab where it was subjected to chemical, photomicrographic, and nital etch analysis. The chemical composition of the "forged" frame was "fully within specifications" for 1141 hot rolled resulphurized steel, with a Rockwell hardness between B82 and B83 as measured at 5 points on the frame. The parallel nature of the manganese-sulfide stringers showed no evidence of the deformation that would be expected from a forging operation.

I still have the frame that was cut for analysis in the back of my safe - I think I even have the block of plastic with the etched and polished sample of the frame used for the photomicrographic 200x/nital etch analysis.

I am not saying that all Les Baers guns exhibit this inconsistency between what they are represented as and what a metallurgical analysis will show, however, this kind of thing does not strike me as something that would happen by accident.

I'd go with Rich or Howard, but another option I like is for some reason to track down a Kimber Target Match and pimp it out - send it to a top smith and mint it out. Sure, it won't run as long as a custom Springer or S_I, but it's the most badass Kimber ever made, guess I just have a thing for the rare ones.

Well, I have a LB Premium II and a Wilson CQB Elite on the way. I'll let you know the outcome because only 1 will remain.

Joel - I broke down when you sold your CQB.

Let me know when they come in and I'll bring my other SS and we'll have a 1911 shoot off...don't be too surprised if my ugly Trojan gives 'em a run...maybe I'll buy the one you decide to discard... :devil: