Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wisdom of a 3 year old

TriggerT

I don't post much here anymore, but what my 3 year old son said last night made me think of some of the deeper ideals that have been expressed when we talk about the Zen and or Tao of things. My son was pulling everything out of a closet last night when my wife asked him what he was doing, the answer:

"I am finding something to find."

I know he didn't really know what he was saying, but it was still one of those "Things that make you go Hmmm" moments.

A friend's son, from when he was about 3, now and then just randomly says the craziest stuff. One of which I sent out in a Maku mozo! a week or so ago. "Mom, if we were nowhere there would be the sky. The sky isn't nothing."

:o

What I remember clearly about being a very small kid (pre-school for sure) is that I could think profound thoughts, experience profound perceptions yet simply not have sophisticated enough vocabulary to express them--or get my parents to listen to me. But I DID keep asking them how far the sky went... (as in, how big is the Universe). I never did quite get an answer to that one. :rolleyes:

Ah yes the things kids say and do :D

Ask GentlemanJim about the unfortunate women that watched me in my younger years :ph34r:

Or about the MEAN kids that wouldn't let me ride the merry-go-round in pre-school <_<

He should be the one to tell the stories not me :P

What I remember clearly about being a very small kid (pre-school for sure) is that I could think profound thoughts, experience profound perceptions yet simply not have sophisticated enough vocabulary to express them--or get my parents to listen to me. But I DID keep asking them how far the sky went... (as in, how big is the Universe). I never did quite get an answer to that one. :rolleyes:

And now you have Google

Reminds me of the comedian Gallegher talking about his kids .

He gets a delivery and closes the door and his kids asks "Dad who was that?"

Gallegher says "It was the UPS man."

THe kid says "How do you know?"

Gallegher says "Hmmm.......I'm going to use that one."

• 2 weeks later...

I had something similar happen years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Sitting together with a group of friends I had a young boy of no more than two or three years present me with a broken toy jeep.

The windshield frame was unattached and one of the fenders was bent down against a tire making it impossible to turn.

Like the wise, caring sage I showed him how to reinsert the metal tabs into the cowl and reattach the windshield.

I "fixed" the windshield and handed it back to him.

He firmly grasped the windshield frame and promptly yanked it apart again.

My first reaction was to silently think, "see what you've done now, you little dumbass!".

You know where this is going right?

He'd pulled it apart so he could put it back together himself which he proceeded to do.

Lesson #1 taught and learned...only I was the student.

Then I bent the fender free of the tire, spun the wheel, and as I handed it back to him I said, "Now you can go fast!", like Mr. Fixit had done him a big favor.

He looked up at me and replied, "Why go fast?".

I was stumped.

Thus ended my Lesson #2. :wacko:

Edited by doc540

Washing our new sports car (midlife thing) in front of our 4yr old Grandson he asked if he could help. Proudly, I said... " Sure, put the washmit in the water with the soap then wipe the car" When I looked the 2nd time he was just going down the side of the car with the mit he had just drenched in the soap covered, gravel filled mud puddle!!!!! Some things just have a different meaning to kids..... <_<

• 2 weeks later...
With all that information at your fingertips, there are still some questions for which there are no answers...

A monk once asked Joshu: "Does a dog have a Buddha nature, or not?"

be

The dog is Budda nature.

:)

Edited by TM262

• 1 year later...
With all that information at your fingertips, there are still some questions for which there are no answers...

A monk once asked Joshu: "Does a dog have a Buddha nature, or not?"

be

of course . . . not