Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dad that blames me for his child's mistake

Bill M

Last week two obviously intoxicate young men came through where I work (it not in a populated area). The temp is -5 degrees and a fair bit of wind. They were walking through at a snails pace so I asked them what they were doing. The boys replied "walking to our dad's cabin" followed by telling me to mind my own business. 30 minutes later they made 3 minutes progress and another 20 minutes they made it to the top of a small hill and promptly fell over. I was just going to head out, but watched for a 20 minutes more they hadn't moved. I call the local cop (I would have gone myself, but they confrontational during our 1st encounter).

Yesterday the one boy's father came into my office all mad. He told me I just ruined his boy's chances. The father said the boy just sign up with the military special forces. It turns out he is starting basic training in 3 week and hope to become a Navy seal.

I told the father I was worried about the well being of his son and lost fingers or toes would do more harm than his minor consumption.

Yesterday the one boy's father came into my office all mad. He told me I just ruined his boy's chances. The father said the boy just sign up with the military special forces. It turns out he is starting basic training in 3 week and hope to become a Navy seal.

That won't keep him out of the military.

Also, wanting to be a Navy Seal and becoming one are two very different things. I want to fly fighter jets for the Air Force . . . :roflol:

Also, wanting to be a Navy Seal and becoming one are two very different things. I want to fly fighter jets for the Air Force . . . :roflol:

That makes two of us, but I can't see for crap with out help and I have bad knees to boot. Wanting and Becoming are 2 totally different things. Plus I doubt a PI, underaged or not would keep him from stomping sand.

If he's already shown that level of poor judgement, maybe we don't want him as a SEAL! I don't know what the failure rate is, but it's probably 95%+...and that's the folks that do everything to qualify to be invited to training.

It could keep him out. I was a USAF Recruiter for four years. Any open law violations and you can't go to Basic. So this kid is at least delayed until it is resolved by a court or by paying fines. If the Kid has had multiple infractions with the law it could be the last straw. I can't speak for the Navy, but two underage drinking incidents requires a morals waiver for entry into the USAF. Any morals waiver will prevent you from getting a Top Secret clearance for your first enlistment. No Top Secret clearance equals no Special Forces.

As to the original poster, you did the right thing. You saved the kids life. All blame goes to the kid and the father.

You did the right thing and someday maybe 'Dad' will see it. Who knows? Dad's can be pretty stupid sometimes and the fruit doesn't all far from the tree. I had a 'Dad' come to me bitching because my son beat the piss out of his with a wiffle ball bat. He couldn't explain to me why his son came after mine with steak knife. Oh, my son was 4, I think his was 6 or 7. The kid is probably in the prison system now.

Needless to say the son and his friend are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Then there is the idiot dad who is too stupid to see the alternative to you not calling the police which would have been the death of his son due to freezing. Compare the two outcomes and you should be walking a lot taller knowing that you made the obvious correct decision. The father should be on his knees thanking you for giving his foolish son another chance at life. I would have been. Then I would have been kicking my kids ass to Timbuktu and back.

My hat is off to you sir!

CYa,

Pat

Young, drunk, bad judgment?? Hmmm I haven't heard that before......well except for that one time at band camp :roflol:

He was probably toughening himself up against the cold in preparation for BUD/S

Well all this talk about cold and drunk has got me going....I think I will brave the cold and walk out to my shop and pour another pitcher of home brew! The ice isn't gone yet but I bet I can do it without my shoes, after all I gots ten of dem toes I can loose a few I recon :lol:

He told me I just ruined his boy's chances.

You didn't ruin his chances. You saved their lives.

And I believe the father fed you a line of BS. You don't just sign of for special forces. You have to be selected.

Good job! You did the right thing.